The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Traverso on September 08, 2021, 07:03:26 AM
Only after using the speaker cable for half a year does it sound optimal.
How copper and silver characteristics changes and adapt, it's a wonderful world.  :)
::) O.k......

PD

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2021, 07:08:53 AM
Are you comparing me with this member just because I said I like CDs? :-\

No you were talking about audiophile crazies.  That made me remember her was all.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 08, 2021, 08:16:21 AM
No you were talking about audiophile crazies.  That made me remember her was all.

Ah, well I certainly remember her and she is a nut for sure. :D

DavidW

Seems appropriate (on the subject of audiophiles and speaker cable):

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on September 08, 2021, 08:43:38 AM
Seems appropriate (on the subject of audiophiles and speaker cable):

:laugh:  :)  Using extra-virgin, cold pressed, first-pressing copper, non?

PD

staxomega

Quote from: T. D. on September 08, 2021, 07:08:24 AM
OK, better than I thought. In my limited experience with SH forum (clicks based on Google search hits), I saw precious little musical discussion, just the nuttiness. I concluded the signal/noise ratio was too low to merit further exploration.

I signed up there in 2006, back then the forum was much smaller and the overall vibe was more positive and music/sound quality centric.

In the last 4 or 5 years it has become truly miserable; the misogyny, racism, xenophobia, anti-science/vaccine/conspiracies, etc. The signal/noise ratio might be among the worst I have ever seen in a forum. I'm only subscribed to 4 or 5 threads, all but one of them are either classical or jazz related where the posters are much more educated.

Mookalafalas

Isaac Stern megabox, $139

[asin]B087CRQCVW[/asin]

It's all good...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 23, 2021, 10:46:04 PM
Isaac Stern megabox, $139

[asin]B087CRQCVW[/asin]

That's a lot of screeching!

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2021, 06:23:43 AM
That's a lot of screeching!

Unfortunately that's literally true of a lot of his late recordings... ::)

MusicTurner

Have been enjoying assembling an extra classical music library during corona etc. with the purpose of checking various recordings myself and composing a good-quality, classical musical history for any person, who'd eventually buy it. It included an easily manageable catalogue.

Sold it today, 1970 CDs for just 510 Euros, Obviously didn't make a profit, but it wasn't the plan & I didn't loose much either, had a lot of fun working with the project, so am very satisfied. The buyer was a professor at a business university here in Copenhagen, and it was sold two weeks after the first advertising on social media.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 25, 2021, 08:17:32 AM
Have been enjoying assembling an extra classical music library during corona etc. with the purpose of checking various recordings myself and composing a good-quality, classical musical history for any person, who'd eventually buy it. It included an easily manageable catalogue.

Sold it today, 1970 CDs for just 510 Euros, Obviously didn't make a profit, but it wasn't the plan & I didn't loose much either, had a lot of fun working with the project, so am very satisfied. The buyer was a professor at a business university here in Copenhagen, and it was sold two weeks after the first advertising on social media.
Well that was an incredibly kind thing that you did!  At first read, I gulped thinking that you had sold off your own collection though!

Was the professor a young one and looking to make a good investment for his/her own ventures into classical music or a present?  And how did you catalogue it?

PD

MusicTurner

Well, he was around 50 I'd say, he said that he had enjoyed corona a lot because of the tranquility working mostly at home, and claimed he had predicted the likely restriction period here with the exactness of 1 week. The professor way, maybe ... I see that he had written some well-reviewed articles etc. He already had a collection, but probably not a massive one. We just managed to load all those CDs in his tiny car, not leaving much space for him as a driver  ;D

The catalogue was just the usual alphabetical list of composers, with the work, then soloists, then record label, and if necessary a remark on other composers on the CD, or a mentioning of the name of the box set, I numbered the box sets in a very simple way. But another possible buyer was disappointed that I hadn't written down the exact release number of all the CDs ! Apparently he collected CD numbers ... ??? He was less polite though and wanted to bargain further, am glad I didn't sell it to him.

Overall a service to the buyer of course - though some would say that all this was the project of a person with too much time available for CD collecting and a ditto interest :) GMG was out of the question because folks here would usually have most of the stuff, and because of the massive transport issues, and trying to sell individual CDs would probably be very slow and occupy me for a good deal of the rest of my life.

It was only a one-time experiment & I won't be doing it again, however.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 25, 2021, 08:48:47 AM
Well, he was around 50 I'd say, he said that he had enjoyed corona a lot because of the tranquility working mostly at home, and claimed he had predicted the likely restriction period here with the exactness of 1 week. The professor way, maybe ... I see that he had written some well-reviewed articles etc. He already had a collection, but probably not a massive one. We just managed to load all those CDs in his tiny car, not leaving much space for him as a driver  ;D

The catalogue was just the usual alphabetical list of composers, with the work, then soloists, then record label, and if necessary a remark on other composers on the CD, or a mentioning of the name of the box set, I numbered the box sets in a very simple way. But another possible buyer was disappointed that I hadn't written down the exact release number of all the CDs ! Apparently he collected CD numbers ... ??? He was less polite though and wanted to bargain further, am glad I didn't sell it to him.

Overall a service to the buyer of course - though some would say that all this was the project of a person with too much time available for CD collecting and a ditto interest :) GMG was out of the question because folks here would usually have most of the stuff, and because of the massive transport issues, and trying to sell individual CDs would probably be very slow and occupy me for a good deal of the rest of my life.

It was only a one-time experiment & I won't be doing it again, however.
Interesting.  Were there any CDs that you had bought for this project that you found that you liked better than what you already had in your collection and decided to do a bit of swapping?

PD

MusicTurner

About 99% of the works and about 2/3 of the CDs are also in my own collection, including a lot of Brilliant Classics though, that go for very little here, if you know where to look - their complete Mozart can go as low as 5 or 7 Euros second-hand, the same applies to the Haydn symphonies/Fischer, etc.

I did get to know more of Italian opera recordings than previously for example, and invested in some CD versions that were either new repertoire or better versions, IMHO - say works by Verdi, Bellini, Mascagni, Puccini and Monteverdi in particular. I also switched my Brilliant Classics complete Beethoven version to another one from Brilliant, got the complete Hänssler Bach and thus sold the Hänssler cantatas set, etc. etc. Of course, a lot of the stuff I'd just hear samples of.

The Brilliant Classics Michael Haydn box was disappointing to me and included in the packet, in spite of me not having much else by him. It was just a set and a composer I decided not to spend much time on. There was also a good Beethoven sonatas set with Bernard Roberts, a really necessary, complete supplement to the accompanying Brilliant Box early Brendel versions I think, but I decided that I already had roughly enough sets of the sonatas. And the good Beethoven symphonies set with Rattle, but again, I thought that I had enough.

Of course, there are many more such details concerning the sale.

JBS

I know we're friends here, so I feel safe asking you for a favor.

The Warner Previn set has been discounted down to $138 on Amazon US but there's only 1 copy available at that price. There's at least one more copy available for $142. I need the folks here to buy those copies, and let the price go back up, so I won't be tempted to buy it myself.

I'm sure I can count on you guys.
Thanks.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on October 27, 2021, 04:59:07 PM
I know we're friends here, so I feel safe asking you for a favor.

The Warner Previn set has been discounted down to $138 on Amazon US but there's only 1 copy available at that price. There's at least one more copy available for $142. I need the folks here to buy those copies, and let the price go back up, so I won't be tempted to buy it myself.

I'm sure I can count on you guys.
Thanks.
Was just enjoying the Babi Yar from that box today. Great, great singing from the men of the LSO Chorus (choir director Richard Hickox!). I've loved almost everything from this box (the "almost" is because Andre couldn't save the 1812 overture and there's a painfully amateur performance conducted by Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath as a bonus on one of the albums).

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on October 24, 2021, 12:08:56 PM
Unfortunately that's literally true of a lot of his late recordings... ::)

I haven't heard a lot of Stern recordings but it's always interesting to find out that it wasn't a joke. ;D

JBS

Quote from: Brian on October 27, 2021, 05:17:15 PM
Was just enjoying the Babi Yar from that box today. Great, great singing from the men of the LSO Chorus (choir director Richard Hickox!). I've loved almost everything from this box (the "almost" is because Andre couldn't save the 1812 overture and there's a painfully amateur performance conducted by Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath as a bonus on one of the albums).

Even the German version of Peter and the Wolf?

My real problem is that minus out the stuff I have (Rachmaninov, the Tchaikovsky ballets, the DSCH 4 and some others), the stuff I'm not really interested in, and the stuff I have plenty of other recordings, there's very little I want but don't have--main thing would be his other DSCH recordings.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk