The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Quote from: DavidW on August 03, 2022, 03:45:00 PM
I don't understand where you're getting these numbers from.  The flac set is $13 and the cd set is $39.25.

As of now, the Flac price in Denmark on Presto's site is roughly 70 Euros; the CD price roughly 45 Euros.

ritter

Two minutes after MusicTurner's post above, the Presto price for Spain is 45.88€ for the CDs, and 63.02 € for FLAC. Pity that the market for this product probably isn't deep enough to engage in cross-border arbitrage  ;D

classicalgeek

The "Solti in London" box is on sale at Amazon US for about $55:

https://www.amazon.com/Solti-London-36-Box-Set/dp/B098RTYSKX/

I've seen it hovering around $100, so this is a pretty good deal.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

JBS

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 04, 2022, 06:27:51 PM

Ordered, thank you.

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 04, 2022, 09:39:06 AM
In a word, no. The maximum VAT rate is around 20%. Even if downloads were free of VAT entirely (which they are not), you can't explain a price differential of almost 90% by a tax rate difference of 20%!

Then I am as confused as anyone else.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 04, 2022, 09:39:06 AM
In a word, no. The maximum VAT rate is around 20%. Even if downloads were free of VAT entirely (which they are not), you can't explain a price differential of almost 90% by a tax rate difference of 20%!

Quote from: JBS on August 04, 2022, 07:10:38 PM
Then I am as confused as anyone else.

It may be an error, or it may be that the publisher has decided to price downloads differently in different regions.

FWIW, I changed my location to United Kingdom and my currency to pounds and I got the same price (10.70 pounds for the FLAC download). I wonder if someone has a VPN which would allow them to view the presto site effectively from different regions and see if the price changes accordingly.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 04, 2022, 06:56:36 AM
I'm getting these numbers from the link that was included in the post I was replying to. Specifically, see below. Price of the CDs: £35; price of the FLACs: £69. Even the MP3s (shudder!) are more expensive than the physical product.

I realise I'm now (and was!) talking pounds Sterling; you're clearly talking left-pondian dollars. I assume Presto does geolocation magic and directs me to the bonkersly-priced UK site, and you to the much more sensible US version. Presumably shelves are bigger in the US and therefore the need to free up some shelf-space in the UK is more pressing.

Or something...

Oh that sucks!  You might as well have someone in the US buy the download for you and then send it to you!

Brian

I opened that Solti tab last night with the intention of sampling some of the box this morning and making a decision, but the price returned to $137. Good, I didn't need the temptation  ;D

(Previously I sampled the Haydn in it and found it appalling, but that's unfair as Haydn is by no means his specialty repertoire.)

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on August 05, 2022, 04:31:58 AM
(Previously I sampled the Haydn in it and found it appalling, but that's unfair as Haydn is by no means his specialty repertoire.)

That is exactly why I don't find those conductor big boxes appealing.  Excepting Bernstein, there is no conductor I can think of that produces moving performances across all eras.

JBS

I will pipe up to say I think that Solti Haydn set is one of the best modern orchestra versions (although Bernstein is the better Haydnist) of the Londons.

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 04, 2022, 06:27:51 PM

And the page that link takes me to prices it at $137.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 05, 2022, 04:38:32 PM
And the page that link takes me to prices it at $137.

The deal must have expired, probably this morning. Brian had the same issue above.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on August 05, 2022, 03:59:25 PM
That is exactly why I don't find those conductor big boxes appealing.  Excepting Bernstein, there is no conductor I can think of that produces moving performances across all eras.
Markevitch, Szell, and although I consider him B-tier across all genres, he is good across all genres: Gielen.

JBS

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 05, 2022, 05:08:24 PM
The deal must have expired, probably this morning. Brian had the same issue above.

It's also now listed as coming from Amazon vendor Speedy Hen. My copy is coming from Amazon UK [Global Store] itself. Now Amazon UK is not mentioned at all.

When I ordered, it said there were 13 in stock. Possibly all the others were ordered in the overnight hours?

Todd

Kubelik.  Walter.  Monteux.  Hengelbrock.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 05, 2022, 05:08:24 PM

No worries, James, my wallet is a bit happier, anyway :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on August 05, 2022, 05:58:51 PM
It's also now listed as coming from Amazon vendor Speedy Hen. My copy is coming from Amazon UK [Global Store] itself. Now Amazon UK is not mentioned at all.

When I ordered, it said there were 13 in stock. Possibly all the others were ordered in the overnight hours?

I rejoice with you, that you nabbed one!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Quote from: Todd on August 06, 2022, 06:33:59 PM
Has Hengelbrock recorded any repertoire post Mahler 1?

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 06, 2022, 07:47:40 PM
Has Hengelbrock recorded any repertoire post Mahler 1?

I am not aware of anything, but in all eras up to Mahler, he delivers hit after hit.  (OK, the Festa Teatrale is a dud.)

Brian

Quote from: Brian on August 05, 2022, 05:15:00 PM
Markevitch, Szell, and although I consider him B-tier across all genres, he is good across all genres: Gielen.

Quote from: Todd on August 06, 2022, 06:33:59 PM

Thought of another conductor who was good across all eras: Charles Mackerras.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 07, 2022, 05:13:56 PM
Thought of another conductor who was good across all eras: Charles Mackerras.

Eh.  There are high spots, but also low spots - eg, his abysmal Brahms on Telarc.