The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

<< < (1486/1488) > >>

hvbias:

--- Quote from: DavidW on August 05, 2022, 02:59:25 PM ---That is exactly why I don't find those conductor big boxes appealing.  Excepting Bernstein, there is no conductor I can think of that produces moving performances across all eras.

--- End quote ---

I always think these conductor big boxes are unappealing then I proceed to buy them anyway :-X Though I am a bit more conservative than others, none of the ones I've bought collect dust on a shelf. The Eduard van Beinum is an upcoming one that has caught my eye.

Brian:

--- Quote from: classicalgeek on August 04, 2022, 05:27:51 PM ---The "Solti in London" box is on sale at Amazon US for about $55:

https://www.amazon.com/Solti-London-36-Box-Set/dp/B098RTYSKX/

I've seen it hovering around $100, so this is a pretty good deal.

--- End quote ---
This sale is back - $55 again.

Bizarrely, Amazon US says that the items ship from "Amazon Global Store UK," but Amazon.co.uk does not have the item available on sale.

Anyway: should I buy? Anyone get to listen to it yet?

Todd:

--- Quote from: Brian on August 21, 2022, 05:46:19 AM ---Anyway: should I buy?
--- End quote ---

I'm not a Solti fan, so keep that in mind, but I'd see what can be streamed first.  Solti tends to be unnuanced in symphonies and other orchestral works, and his recordings accompanying soloists tend to be available in other sets.  The box does not appear to hold many or even any must-have recordings, except for perhaps his Bartok.  If you really want his Elgar, Haydn, or the few Mahler symphonies in the box, it could make sense to buy for those. 

JBS:

--- Quote from: Brian on August 21, 2022, 05:46:19 AM ---This sale is back - $55 again.

Bizarrely, Amazon US says that the items ship from "Amazon Global Store UK," but Amazon.co.uk does not have the item available on sale.

Anyway: should I buy? Anyone get to listen to it yet?

--- End quote ---

I received my copy but haven't listened to any of it. I do like his Mahler and Haydn. But I remember you said you don't like his Haydn....
The Elgar, Mahler, and Bartok recordings make up almost have the box, and include a recording of Bluebeard's Castle.
There's also a recording of Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex.

albanberg:
Arkiv has the 5-CD Mariss Jansons Portrait for $7.99:

https://arkivmusic.com/products/protrait-jansons-bavarian-radio-symphony-71028

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version