The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 04, 2022, 04:12:38 AM
Interesting!  Surprised that it didn't recognize the music files or playlists....I wonder why?  The only device that I intentionally put some of my albums on was (what is now) on an old iPod Touch (remember those?).  I've never used an iPad before.  In any event, sorry to hear of your headaches with it.  Here:  I did a bit more searching yesterday (using the "Help" search function while I had iTunes open) and found that I could (like you were on your Android) that I was able to just drag and drop the files there from my download folder.  Haven't tried listening to them yet, but they showed up (cover images in my library there just fine).  And all of the tracks and timings are showing there too.  Wonder if there might be a compatibility issue between your iPad version and your computer--I don't know if you have a Windows one or a Mac?  I do get that computers, etc. can be a frustrating matter to sort out though!  :(

PD

My wife has retired from her teaching so her ipad gathers dust in a drawer.  Occasionally I take it out to swear at it just for old times sake - for portable music I use an FiiO player which is just tremendous for its size/cost/sound quality - far better in every respect than any ipad/pod/pid/pud/ped (filling in the vowels Wordle-style!)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 04, 2022, 06:18:47 AM
My wife has retired from her teaching so her ipad gathers dust in a drawer.  Occasionally I take it out to swear at it just for old times sake - for portable music I use an FiiO player which is just tremendous for its size/cost/sound quality - far better in every respect than any ipad/pod/pid/pud/ped (filling in the vowels Wordle-style!)
:laugh:  :)  I'm still trying to find something (not horribly expensive) that I can wear and use when I'm working out in the garden/yard.  Often times, I just like the peace and quiet or bring out a on-its-last-legs radio.  Just when I'm happily relaxing, one of the neighbors either turns one:  1) their power washer, 2) one of the local landscapers arrives with all of their heavy equipment and really noisy blowers, or 3) take your pick of noisy events.   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 04, 2022, 04:02:22 AM
I hate very few things in life - but I do hate iTunes!!  My wife used to run a dance school and had all her lesson playlists on an ipad.  ALL the music was ripped from CD's we owned and had the files on my hard drive (yes I know there could be some copyright issues but much of it was recorded for teachers to use by the dance examining board so no rights issues!)  But I had to use ITunes as the interface to upload the music to her i-pad.  Sometimes I could sit there for literally 2-3 hours while the system simply refused to "recognise" the new music files and/or playlists.  Give me my simple Android drag and drop any time (rant over) - enjoy the downloads IF i-tunes will allow you to.........

Bizarre, never had a problem remotely like that (although admittedly I only use iTunes, now called Music, on an iPhone, not an iPad).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Note:  I received an email yesterday from ClassicalSelect about that second set of symphonies -- "Big Great Symphonies Volume 2"--that there has been an update to it.  Has anyone had a chance to listen to it yet?  Was there a glitch (or omission) in the first download?

PD

p.s.  At closer look, at least there is a mislabeling error for Brahms Symphony No. 4 with movements 3 & 4 being both labeled the same.  Haven't looked further than that.
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Olivier

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 11, 2022, 06:27:49 AM
The 15-CD Ancerl Live recordings is err.... £3.73 as FLAC download on Presto.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9268516--karel-an-erl-live-recordings

WOW! Top tip - many thanks......

EDIT:  I've just downloaded the (nominally!) hi-res and that was under £5 - not quite sure what difference the higher bit rate will make to a probably limited radio recording but I'd rather go for the highest possible fidelity.  The range of music here is just sensational - just about everything I'm fascinated to hear from Suk & Novak to a Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia and ending with Schulhoff's Communist Manifesto!!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Crumbs!  :(  And I don't see it even listed as being available as a download?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Download option must be available only regionally.

(Soothes my mind as I just ordered the physical box from them  ;D )

Pohjolas Daughter

Latest freebie from ClassicSelect:

"And our Free Download of the Week is here - and it's a holiday title. The Little Big Baroque Christmas Box has performances from Lionheart, Apollo's Fire and the Craig Smith Singers. 3 hours of music commemorating the Nativity or celebrating in a Baroque fashion with carols and songs."

I'm not familiar with any of those singers/groups.  Can anyone tell me anything about them?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 14, 2022, 11:46:46 AM
Latest freebie from ClassicSelect:

"And our Free Download of the Week is here - and it's a holiday title. The Little Big Baroque Christmas Box has performances from Lionheart, Apollo's Fire and the Craig Smith Singers. 3 hours of music commemorating the Nativity or celebrating in a Baroque fashion with carols and songs."

I'm not familiar with any of those singers/groups.  Can anyone tell me anything about them?

PD

Apollo's Fire is a Baroque PI ensemble: they're reasonably good.
They've also done at Christmasy folk music CDs.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=APOLLO%27s+FIRE+%2F+SORRELL&i=popular&ref=mw_dp_a_s

Not at all familiar with the other two.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on November 14, 2022, 11:54:15 AM
Apollo's Fire is a Baroque PI ensemble: they're reasonably good.
They've also done at Christmasy folk music CDs.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=APOLLO%27s+FIRE+%2F+SORRELL&i=popular&ref=mw_dp_a_s

Not at all familiar with the other two.
Thanks JBS.  I might youtube a few tracks to see if I want to bother downloading it.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Qobuz has a Supraphon sale, with some good titles going for as low as $2.39 - eg, from the Vlach Quartet or Karel Ancerl.

Todd

Qobuz has a Black Friday week sale.  Some Naxos titles and various French micro-label titles are included in the mix.

Harry

I think this qualifies as a bargain. At JPC de for 19,95€
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

This might be of interest to the Messiaen fans:

8 Hours of Organ works - £3.73 FLAC on Presto.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9379228--integrale-de-louvre-pour-orgue

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

The current freebie at classic select:  The Little Big Box Bach Orchestral

You can see the track listings here:

https://www.classicselectworld.com/products/little-big-box-bach-orchestral-music?_pos=8&_sid=1c3630742&_ss=r

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

I don't know if it's a well regarded set (or performers for that matter) or not but just in case, Presto sells a complete Beethoven SQ by the Smetana Quartet for £4.98 as FLAC (UK price, not sure for other areas)

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8798323--beethoven-complete-string-quartets
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 28, 2022, 07:32:27 AMI don't know if it's a well regarded set (or performers for that matter) or not but just in case, Presto sells a complete Beethoven SQ by the Smetana Quartet for £4.98 as FLAC (UK price, not sure for other areas)

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8798323--beethoven-complete-string-quartets

I imagine that it's quite good.  Sadly, the special sale prices are limited territorially.  A heck of a lot more expense to US customers.  :'(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter