The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 28, 2022, 07:32:27 AMI don't know if it's a well regarded set (or performers for that matter) or not but just in case, Presto sells a complete Beethoven SQ by the Smetana Quartet for £4.98 as FLAC (UK price, not sure for other areas)

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8798323--beethoven-complete-string-quartets

I don't know this specific cycle but the Smetana Quartet were one of THE great Czech Chamber Ensembles who played together for many years to deserved acclaim.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 28, 2022, 07:55:39 AMI don't know this specific cycle but the Smetana Quartet were one of THE great Czech Chamber Ensembles who played together for many years to deserved acclaim.

Thank you for the info, RS. Guess I should have a listen to the samples  0:) 
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 28, 2022, 07:35:05 AMI imagine that it's quite good.  Sadly, the special sale prices are limited territorially.  A heck of a lot more expense to US customers.  :'(

PD

I feared as much, PD. It was the case with the Ancerl box too a few days ago.
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

I wonder whether someone in my "neck of the woods" would be offering similar prices?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Latest free offering from classicselect:  Bach Guild's Little Big Mozart Box Serenades & Divertimenti with Esterhazy Orchestra and David Blum, the English Chamber Orchestra, Vienna State Opera Orchestra and Mogens Woldike, et al.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on December 03, 2022, 03:46:32 PMQobuz has a sale on Signum.  A few bargains are below.  571 recordings are under $5.

Glad that I saw this mention. I picked up a few, including the Maazel Maher Cycle (I'm a big fan of Maazel's first Mahler Cycle) the two Llyr Williams sets (Beethoven, Schubert) as well as a recording of the Bach Cello Suites by David Kenedy.

Also took advantage of the Supraphon sale to get some Ancerl Gold recordings, including the Janacek Sinfonietta, Martinu Parables and Frescoes de Piero della Francesca, Mahler 9, Martinu Symphonies 5, 6, Memorial to Lidice, Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, Viola Concerto, and Smetana Ma Vlast (Thanks to mention by @Papy Oli).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

prémont

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 04, 2022, 05:16:28 AMI picked up a few..... the two Llyr Williams sets (Beethoven, Schubert) as well as a recording of the Bach Cello Suites by David Kenedy.

I recognize unmistakable signs of completism here.  ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

Quote from: premont on December 04, 2022, 05:27:28 AMI recognize unmistakable signs of completism here.  ;)

I'm not sure that's the correct diagnosis. A complete Beethoven cycle for $3, in good sound, and the samples sound nice? Similar reasoning for the Schubert, Bach and Mahler (I admit I am something of a Maazel fanatic).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mookalafalas

Bought both of these for a combined $231 (Amazon Japan, but similar price in US). Roughly $1.25 per disk.

It's all good...

Irons

Although having most of the contents on LP the six CD box of early Josef Suk at just over £20 is such a bargain I'm sorely tempted. Suk's performance of the Respighi VS is worth price of admission alone.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

As mentioned elsewhere, Classic Select has a free sample download from Märzendorfer's complete Haydn symphonies set.  It contains Nos. 6-8.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

T. D.

Likely doesn't qualify as "super-cheap", but Berkshire now has Goodall's Ring cycle.

Que

Undersea

Quote from: Que on February 12, 2023, 12:04:01 AM€10 a piece on jpc.de:

https://www.jpc.de/s/Boxen+preiswert?searchtype=campaigntext

Wow, thanks so much for that (I've had my eye on these sets for a while...) - ordered them all! :D
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Que

Quote from: Undersea on February 12, 2023, 12:15:36 AMWow, thanks so much for that (I've had my eye on these sets for a while...) - ordered them all! :D

What you get are all the Soviet era recordings in excellent transfers (taking into account the original sound quality). Short notes & synopsis, complete track listings. Unfortunately no libretti, which is a pain - particularly in Russian opera. I already had the Tchaikovsky and snatched up the rest.

Undersea

Quote from: Que on February 12, 2023, 12:25:04 AMWhat you get are all the Soviet era recordings in excellent transfers (taking into account the original sound quality). Short notes & synopsis, complete track listings. Unfortunately no libretti, which is a pain - particularly in Russian opera. I already had the Tchaikovsky and snatched up the rest.

Sounds good! - thanks again :)
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Todd

Qobuz has a sale on Mirare.  Abdel Rahman el Bacha's second LvB cycle is $15, Nicholas Angelich's Annees de Pelerinage is $11, and Luis Fernando Pérez's Iberia is $7, among other items.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Roasted Swan

The Chandos Shop is offering the entire Naxos catalogue as downloads at 60% off so a "standard" disc is just £2.30 for a FLAC download.  MUCH better than the current CD around £9.00....

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 05, 2023, 08:50:32 AMThe Chandos Shop is offering the entire Naxos catalogue as downloads at 60% off so a "standard" disc is just £2.30 for a FLAC download.  MUCH better than the current CD around £9.00....

Time to go down my presto wishlist and pick out the Naxos releases..