The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 17, 2023, 08:39:03 AMCopied from the Purchases thread:

Caveats (how dare they...)  ;D :

- Use Google Chrome to do the automatic translation of the site from Czech
- no point in trying to download the complete Zip, it keeps crashing
- download them CD by CD. Even that can take several attempts for each CD.
- The numbering of CD on the webpage doesn't match the numbering of the CD in the box. The webpage supplies a breakdown to let you do the matching.
- the file tagging includes movements names and (some) performers but not all the work names.

Basically it will need a lot of patience and lots of back and forth with the relevant entry on Discogs for a correct re-tagging.

Still...

7 quids each...

worth the hassle...

At the same price :

- All the Sony cheap boxes (thingy conducts thingy and some others)
- Original Jackets sets
- Entremont Piano Concertos
- 3 Bylsma volumes
- Abbado RCA & Sony collection
- LVB SQ Juillard 1964-70
- Malcolm Arnold Conifer box
- Giulini complete Sony Recordings

etc etc...

Sure is super-duper cheap!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Karl Henning on December 31, 2023, 11:08:39 AMSure is super-duper cheap!

As I mentioned somewhere on this site, let the buyer beware, at least for FLAC files. I got the giant Reiner box for next to nothing, but it seems pretty clear that the FLAC files are not true bit-for-bit duplicates of what's on the CD. Lossless streaming on Apple Music always (in my experience) sounds utterly identical to a CD rip. The Supraphon.net FLAC files did not sound identical to the Apple Music lossless streaming version. I couldn't say they were objectively worse, but they were not the same.

I'd rather pay a reasonable price and know what I am getting, or rely on streaming.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

I hate to be that guy but it is a much higher probability that you are suffering from a cognitive bias and perceive a difference when none exists than for a major record label to not sell their own lossless files.  It would take more effort and money to prepare duplicates that are worse in quality than what they are directly supplying to Apple, Spotify etc. than to just use the same.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 31, 2023, 09:54:49 PMAs I mentioned somewhere on this site, let the buyer beware, at least for FLAC files. I got the giant Reiner box for next to nothing, but it seems pretty clear that the FLAC files are not true bit-for-bit duplicates of what's on the CD. Lossless streaming on Apple CD always (in my experience) sounds utterly identical to a CD rip. The Supraphon.net FLAC files did not sound identical to the Apple Music lossless streaming version. I couldn't say they were objectively worse, but they were not the same.

I'd rather pay a reasonable price and know what I am getting, or rely on streaming.

I might buy it at some point, should be worth it to hear a few works I don't know. I'm happy with my Boulez "box". Have you downloaded one of the MP3 files to compare with the FLAC?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 31, 2023, 09:54:49 PMAs I mentioned somewhere on this site, let the buyer beware, at least for FLAC files. I got the giant Reiner box for next to nothing, but it seems pretty clear that the FLAC files are not true bit-for-bit duplicates of what's on the CD. Lossless streaming on Apple CD always (in my experience) sounds utterly identical to a CD rip. The Supraphon.net FLAC files did not sound identical to the Apple Music lossless streaming version. I couldn't say they were objectively worse, but they were not the same.

Thanks for the word!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 17, 2023, 08:39:03 AMthe file tagging includes movements names and (some) performers but not all the work names.
I think that in the case of three or four discs, I had to try a second time. The biggest hassle was two cases where the filename path was too long for that file to be unzipped, e.g. "Fritz Reiner - The Complete Chicago Symphony Recordings on RCA - 15-29 - Arthur Rubinstein_Enrique Jorda_Manuel de Falla - III En los Jardines de la Sierra de Cordoba.mp3." (the other was the last mvt of Scheherazade, similarly, TMI larded into the filename: " IV Allegro Molto E Frenetico - Vivo - Allegro Non Troppo E Maestoso - Tempo Come I. Festival At Bagdad - The Sea - The Shipwreck On A Rock Surmounted By A Bronze Warrior - Conclusion.") The solution was relatively easy: downloading each track separately.
So, yes, some more hassle than one's typical album download, but I too found the reward::labor ratio favorable.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on January 01, 2024, 04:26:49 AMI hate to be that guy but it is a much higher probability that you are suffering from a cognitive bias and perceive a difference when none exists than for a major record label to not sell their own lossless files.  It would take more effort and money to prepare duplicates that are worse in quality than what they are directly supplying to Apple, Spotify etc. than to just use the same.

I am 100% sure it is not cognitive bias, it wasn't a subtle difference. I had to turn the volume knob up another 25% to get the FLAC file from supraphon.net to sound as loud as Apple Music streaming. I've never noticed a volume difference between Apple Music streaming and FLAC files that I've ripped or purchased. I didn't notice any inferiority in the FLAC files, I just noted they are not identical.

I don't know how they produced those FLAC files, but if they are in a jurisdiction in which the recordings are somehow public domain they could have ripped the physical CDs to MP3, then converted to FLAC in software, captured streaming from spotify, etc. As I said, I decided there was no point relying on the because the set streams on Apple Music anyway.

Any loss in quality due to MP3 is probably irrelevant in 70 year old recordings, but it might make a difference for something which is closer to SOTA.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

That could just be replay gain though.  I've noticed the same thing between Qobuz and Idagio (different volumes on the same recordings) but the SQ is the same once volume adjusted. 

What you could do is measure the dynamic range.  If the same album had different DR #s I would believe it that there is something different about them.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on January 01, 2024, 07:44:53 AMThat could just be replay gain though.  I've noticed the same thing between Qobuz and Idagio (different volumes on the same recordings) but the SQ is the same once volume adjusted.

I admit it is not in anyway definitive, but I've always found Apple Music and Swinsian playback (Mac) to have identical volume through my Schiit ADC.

QuoteWhat you could do is measure the dynamic range.  If the same album had different DR #s I would believe it that there is something different about them.

In theory, yes, but we are talking about a 1955 recording. I think the dynamic range is already very narrow to begin with. If I were really interested enough I would convert the FLACs from supraphon.net and Qobuz (or Presto) to *.wav (uncompressed) and see if the same numbers are there.

In any case, just sharing my experience. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to get the files, especially as the risk in plunking $8 down for a $200 CD set is negligible.

steve ridgway

I notice some of the albums in the Fritz Reiner box were newly remastered from the original analogue tapes. Perhaps someone selling downloads or streams already has files in their system from prior releases and has supplied those instead of the new versions.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: steve ridgway on January 01, 2024, 08:44:12 PMI notice some of the albums in the Fritz Reiner box were newly remastered from the original analogue tapes. Perhaps someone selling downloads or streams already has files in their system from prior releases and has supplied those instead of the new versions.

The bottom line - as 'Spotted Horses' fairly points out - is that at the cost of this set - 63 'discs' for under £8 - about 12p each it is hardly a bank-breaking investment.  As it happens I already have many of the classic Reiner discs as SACD's etc so for me the main interest is in the performances by him with the CSO of repertoire I would not otherwise seek out at a standard price.  For those I am not that worried if it is FLAC or a decent bit rate MP3 as long as the sound is pretty good - which so far they most certainly are......

DavidW

Quote from: steve ridgway on January 01, 2024, 08:44:12 PMI notice some of the albums in the Fritz Reiner box were newly remastered from the original analogue tapes. Perhaps someone selling downloads or streams already has files in their system from prior releases and has supplied those instead of the new versions.

This is the tricky part... I find that Qobuz will have literally every different remaster of so many albums.  I end up wasting time trying to figure which sounds the best instead of just listening.  Though I personally would just want only the best one there, I know that can be debatable depending upon on how the remaster is done, so ultimately I appreciate that we have the freedom to choose.

What does grind my gears though is when there is a fresh remaster dumped into digital downloads and streaming but no corresponding cd release or it is just done on blu-ray which I don't listen to.  Ugh.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on January 02, 2024, 08:03:15 AMThis is the tricky part... I find that Qobuz will have literally every different remaster of so many albums.  I end up wasting time trying to figure which sounds the best instead of just listening.  Though I personally would just want only the best one there, I know that can be debatable depending upon on how the remaster is done, so ultimately I appreciate that we have the freedom to choose.

What does grind my gears though is when there is a fresh remaster dumped into digital downloads and streaming but no corresponding cd release or it is just done on blu-ray which I don't listen to.  Ugh.
It sounds very confusing...hard to keep up with.  Are Qobuz and other streaming services very good about listing info re the releases?  From what I understand, at least in the past, there is often little info provided.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 02, 2024, 11:56:08 AMIt sounds very confusing...hard to keep up with.  Are Qobuz and other streaming services very good about listing info re the releases?  From what I understand, at least in the past, there is often little info provided.

PD

Exactly!  You answered your question PD.  There is one little trick though, commonly the most recent remaster will be in hd audio.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 17, 2023, 08:30:41 AMFrom Supraphonline: Just over £14 in total for the (troublesome but i'll live) download of 63 CD + 67 CD respectively.

The goofiest thing is how the discs for Gurrelieder and Pelléas et Mélisande. e.g. are out of order.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DaveF

Hardly the superest or cheapest of bargains, but I see chandos.net has a 25% off BIS sale, which includes the forthcoming Pettersson edition: https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/BI%209062 - £100 at least makes it cheaper than I can see anywhere else.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Atriod

Todd

Chandos has Naxos downloads on sale for ~$3/disc equivalent.  Time to stock up.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on January 20, 2024, 04:05:31 PMChandos has Naxos downloads on sale for ~$3/disc equivalent.  Time to stock up.

Maybe a good enough excuse to get the Lloyd-Jones recordings of Bax symphonies.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Todd on January 20, 2024, 04:05:31 PMChandos has Naxos downloads on sale for ~$3/disc equivalent.  Time to stock up.

It's not easy to browse the whole label. Searching by composer then selecting Naxos works OK.