The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

On Amazon.ca, there is (or was) a Beethoven's complete works (87 CDs) for $61.99 CDN.   :o

Would that constitute a super-duper cheap bargain?  ;D

I'm not sure of the details of the set, it was listed in this small flyer/pamphlet that came with my Amazon order.

PerfectWagnerite

Somebody was looking for a cheap version of Dorati's Haydn cycle a few months ago and I mentioned if you wait long enough Universal will put it in a cheap box. Well now here it is:

All of it for under 50 Euro.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001LMSOGI/ref=s9newr_c5_img4-rfc_p?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0SGE9F5NPEJWSDHRV906&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375193&pf_rd_i=301128

There is also this one from SONY that sells for about the same price:

but I know nothing about.

http://www.amazon.de/Joseph-Haydn-S%C3%A4mtliche-Limitierte-CD/dp/B001NBS5NE/ref=pd_sim_m_10

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 19, 2009, 02:05:58 PMAll of it for under 50 Euro.
For that price you might as well just get the newly-released Complete Haydn Edition, which has all the symphonies as performed by Fischer and the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Sorin Eushayson on January 19, 2009, 06:24:54 PM
For that price you might as well just get the newly-released Complete Haydn Edition, which has all the symphonies as performed by Fischer and the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra.
True, but I think a fellow member was looking for that Dorati set.

Bulldog

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 20, 2009, 03:35:26 PM
True, but I think a fellow member was looking for that Dorati set.

Screw the conductor.  The only thing that counts is getting as many discs as possible for the lowest price.

Of course, only kidding, but it amazes me how many board members seem to feel that quantity/price is the primary factor.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Bulldog on January 20, 2009, 03:47:35 PM
but it amazes me how many board members seem to feel that quantity/price is the primary factor.

Sometimes, you gotta try and get the best 'bang for your buck', Don.  So yes, it IS a primary factor for a lot of people.

Dancing Divertimentian

Here's an interesting download from Amazon featuring works by Richard Strauss.

Not sure what to expect as the clips are very short but with Argerich in the youthful Burleske it's bound to be pretty good.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Wanderer

Quote from: donwyn on January 20, 2009, 07:16:11 PM
Here's an interesting download from Amazon featuring works by Richard Strauss.

Not sure what to expect as the clips are very short but with Argerich in the youthful Burleske it's bound to be pretty good.

This Burleske is breathtaking. For once in this work it's the orchestra that's trying to keep up and not the pianist. Argerich's not just fire though; she coaxes melting lyricism from the slower passages, almost discovering new levels of profundity in this more or less monolithic piece. No sense of superficiality here.  Good stuff.  8)

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 20, 2009, 04:03:30 PM
Sometimes, you gotta try and get the best 'bang for your buck', Don.  So yes, it IS a primary factor for a lot of people.

Well of course you quickly get more music than you can possibly listen to in a reasonable time frame! :D

I just say this since because even a complete Haydn symphonies set that spans dozens of hours is considered not good enough (by Sorin's post) because there is a box set that has 100+ hours of more music.  When do you find the time to even listen to so much music that the symphonies cycle alone would be considered too small of a box set for that nice price??? :o

Okay I really just think that Sorin's post just cracks me up! :D

Grazioso

Quote from: DavidW on January 21, 2009, 02:21:40 AM
Well of course you quickly get more music than you can possibly listen to in a reasonable time frame! :D

I just say this since because even a complete Haydn symphonies set that spans dozens of hours is considered not good enough (by Sorin's post) because there is a box set that has 100+ hours of more music.  When do you find the time to even listen to so much music that the symphonies cycle alone would be considered too small of a box set for that nice price??? :o

Nothing funny about it: the Fischer set is highly regarded in and of itself, never mind that you also get the rare baryton trios, etc.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: DavidW on January 21, 2009, 02:21:40 AM

I'm glad you got some amusement out of it!  ;D

Quote from: Grazioso on January 21, 2009, 04:03:30 AM
Nothing funny about it: the Fischer set is highly regarded in and of itself, never mind that you also get the rare baryton trios, etc.
My point exactly.

rubio

I wonder if this is a mispricing at £10 (10CD). On amazon.com and mdt it cost around £100. I wonder if it is any good. Testament is usually an expensive company.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-of-Singing-Vol-3/dp/B000038I6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232560419&sr=1-1

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

DavidW

Quote from: Grazioso on January 21, 2009, 04:03:30 AM

Yes I've listened through it, it's pretty good.  That wasn't really my point!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Wanderer on January 20, 2009, 10:55:35 PM
This Burleske is breathtaking. For once in this work it's the orchestra that's trying to keep up and not the pianist. Argerich's not just fire though; she coaxes melting lyricism from the slower passages, almost discovering new levels of profundity in this more or less monolithic piece. No sense of superficiality here.  Good stuff.  8)

Thanks, Wanderer. I downloaded the Burleske. $0.99 is a small price to pay for great Argerich.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

knight66

Quote from: rubio on January 21, 2009, 09:17:02 AM
I wonder if this is a mispricing at £10 (10CD). On amazon.com and mdt it cost around £100. I wonder if it is any good. Testament is usually an expensive company.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-of-Singing-Vol-3/dp/B000038I6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232560419&sr=1-1

I have this and it is a goldmine of singers I did not know of. Well worth getting hold of.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

eyeresist

Jarvi's Alfven cycle is now available on Brilliant, through HMV Japan, 5 discs for about $25. (I've only heard the 5th symphony, very much French Late Romantic, i.e. symphonies of Franck, Chausson, etc.)

Polyansky's Glazunov cycle, with Otaka's 7th, is also available, for whatever that's worth. 7 discs include a number of works besides the symphonies, for about $33.

George

Right now at MDT, the 14 CD EMI Richter set is only $34.76.  The Brilliant box is only $15. Two great bargains!

Link to MDT: http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/home/default.asp  :)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Keep buying from MDT, people - it's probably the only thing keeping the UK economy afloat :D (I never thought I'd see the day when people from the US and elsewhere find UK prices not just tolerable, but desirable...)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

George

Quote from: opus67 on January 28, 2009, 07:51:07 AM
Bertini's Mahler cycle going for $25!!

Wow!! Consider that one bought! Is it the complete cycle?