The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Quote from: Grazioso on November 14, 2007, 03:18:32 AM
It's almost silly to have a separate bargain thread these days, when so many discs are dirt cheap ...

I suppose this thread is all about those CDs/DVDs or sets thereof which can be had for almost zero dollar/pound/euro/yen, etc. ;)

Peregrine

Quote from: sidoze on November 14, 2007, 03:20:58 AM
duly noted. You're in charge of finding us a restaurant when you come back to London!  ;D

Consider it done! ;)
Yes, we have no bananas

Great Gable

What's with the name and avatar - are you a birder Peregrine?

Peregrine

Quote from: Great Gable on November 14, 2007, 04:21:17 AM
What's with the name and avatar - are you a birder Peregrine?

I don't know if I'ld call myself a birder per se, but do take a healthy interest in all matters ornithological and particularly raptors! I just enjoy the outdoors generally...
Yes, we have no bananas

Grazioso

Quote from: Mark on November 14, 2007, 03:27:07 AM
I suppose this thread is all about those CDs/DVDs or sets thereof which can be had for almost zero dollar/pound/euro/yen, etc. ;)

When I said "almost silly" I definitely didn't mean to denigrate your idea for the thread. I'm a bargain-hunter myself :) I should have said "almost redundant or superfluous" given how easy it can be to find outrageous bargains these days.

While not exactly cheap in and of itself (about $70-100), I can't praise highly enough the quality/cost ratio of the Brilliant Complete Mozart edition, which has given me many, many hours of pleasure for relatively small outlay:

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Mark

Quote from: Grazioso on November 14, 2007, 09:11:35 AM
When I said "almost silly" I definitely didn't mean to denigrate your idea for the thread. I'm a bargain-hunter myself :) I should have said "almost redundant or superfluous" given how easy it can be to find outrageous bargains these days.

No worries. I knew what you meant. ;)

Peregrine

Seems pretty good, for anyone in need of a Shostakovich cycle (or another!):

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/SU38902.htm
Yes, we have no bananas

Mark

Brian

Naxos is making their ancient Beethoven symphonies cycle with conductors Richard Edlinger and Michael Halasz available for $10 download. The quality is, of course, decidedly mixed, but I can attest that the Edlinger performances are actually quite enjoyable. In fact, he delivers spectacular goods in some places, as you know if you have taken this music quiz.

Mark

Quote from: brianrein on November 14, 2007, 12:19:40 PM
Naxos is making their ancient Beethoven symphonies cycle with conductors Richard Edlinger and Michael Halasz available for $10 download. The quality is, of course, decidedly mixed, but I can attest that the Edlinger performances are actually quite enjoyable.

Can't comment on the Edlinger cycle, but I had three volumes of the Halasz and promptly got rid of them. They weren't just uneven, they were decidedly uninspiring. :(

Brian

Quote from: Mark on November 14, 2007, 12:26:14 PM
Can't comment on the Edlinger cycle, but I had three volumes of the Halasz and promptly got rid of them. They weren't just uneven, they were decidedly uninspiring. :(
In that box Halasz is only responsible for Nos. 3 and 6, but those are so clearly important that I will heed your counsel and cherry-pick.

Y'all should try that quiz, by the way.

Mark

Quote from: brianrein on November 14, 2007, 12:31:42 PM
In that box Halasz is only responsible for Nos. 3 and 6, but those are so clearly important that I will heed your counsel and cherry-pick.

Y'all should try that quiz, by the way.

I'm pretty sure Halasz did them all at some point - Naxos may have withdrawn some of them since Bela Drahos recorded a complete cycle for the label (his cycle, incidentally, being above average, and well worth a listen if you can get it at a good price).

AnthonyAthletic

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

DanielFullard

Its back up to £40 now >:(

Unless you meant the second hand ones

Lethevich

Quote from: DanielFullard on November 18, 2007, 09:32:51 AM

The marketplace ones for £10 are new - must be overstock or something. Generally the bargains mentioned on Amazon will be from the marketplace... I love it :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Peregrine

That's an interesting choice of phrase, I wonder if many Amazon customers assume such...?
Yes, we have no bananas

AnthonyAthletic

Market Place £9.80p's is brand new as Lethe says.

Never buy Amazon direct, when there's a seller around  ;D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Lethevich

On Amazon UK, what I presume is this disc is available here for 1p.

Shostakovich - Violin concerto nos. 1 & 2 (Yuri Temirkanov, USSR Symphony Orchestra, Victor Tretyakov, Russian Revelation)

I don't know if it's much good or not, but it looks above the usual 1p fare - so, it's here if anybody wants it :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Peregrine

Quote from: Lethe on November 24, 2007, 05:14:44 PM
On Amazon UK, what I presume is this disc is available here for 1p.

Shostakovich - Violin concerto nos. 1 & 2 (Yuri Temirkanov, USSR Symphony Orchestra, Victor Tretyakov, Russian Revelation)

I don't know if it's much good or not, but it looks above the usual 1p fare - so, it's here if anybody wants it :)

Well done sir!

I love this thread!

CD's for a penny, happy days. Still seems to be some more left...

:D
Yes, we have no bananas