The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: Jo498 on February 11, 2018, 10:04:37 AM
One should however note that the Hänssler Box has different recordings (radio? live?) than the better known DG Archiv that made Richter a household name.

Like others after him, Richter re-recorded his core repertoire, the second time around for Archiv/DG. This box includes only those from his previous recording company, Telefunken.

André

Quote from: aligreto on February 11, 2018, 11:56:39 AM
Having only "discovered" Varnay in recent times that set would be of interest André. Is the sound quality reasonable?

Varnay did not record much in the studios. A lot of the material in this box is from 1950s live performances. The Wagner items come from Bayreuth, 1952-59. The rest from other sources. I'm quite tolerant of old sound as long as there is no overload/distortion. I'm quite satisfied on that count.

aligreto

Quote from: André on February 11, 2018, 01:45:55 PM
Varnay did not record much in the studios. A lot of the material in this box is from 1950s live performances. The Wagner items come from Bayreuth, 1952-59. The rest from other sources. I'm quite tolerant of old sound as long as there is no overload/distortion. I'm quite satisfied on that count.

Thank you for that.

MyronM

jut1972

Hi- not one you can repeat unfortunately because I got the only one... but wanted to share and this seemed a fitting place... best bargain I have ever bought? maybe...
This bad boy for £59 gbp including shipping.  Marked as MAY be used-acceptable - was new unopened with some small scuffing to the box only.

[asin]B01GR16LO4[/asin]

I'll now put on my smug face  :P

There's bargains out there guys!

Mookalafalas

:D :D :D
Fantastic! Congratulations to you, and good listening!

Quote from: jut1972 on February 15, 2018, 04:04:43 AM
Hi- not one you can repeat unfortunately because I got the only one... but wanted to share and this seemed a fitting place... best bargain I have ever bought? maybe...
This bad boy for £59 gbp including shipping.  Marked as MAY be used-acceptable - was new unopened with some small scuffing to the box only.

[asin]B01GR16LO4[/asin]

I'll now put on my smug face  :P

There's bargains out there guys!
It's all good...

André

These excellent sets are back at JPC for 12.99€

I have the Schnittke discs and can vouch for the excellence of the music and the production values.

As for the Shostakovich, I haven't heard them (have most of it in other interpretations) but it sure looks good at the price:

Spineur

Quote from: king ubu on February 10, 2018, 02:33:21 AM
[asin]B078XGY4K6[/asin]

pre-order price at amazon.it currently is € 5.95 ... let's see if they actually sell it for that or cancel (elsewhere it's 30ish).
It looks like we wont get it in a near nor a distant future, according to the email I got from amazon.it.  This was just too good to be true.

king ubu

Quote from: Spineur on February 17, 2018, 09:09:19 PM
It looks like we wont get it in a near nor a distant future, according to the email I got from amazon.it.  This was just too good to be true.

Just got the same message ... lame.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Turner

MDT has some cheap, fine Ondine CDs going down to £ 5.25

https://www.mdt.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=desc&order=price&p=9&q=ondine&t=general

I ordered Saariaho´s Passion, for example. There is some delivery time, however. Hope I´ll be getting it.

André

Thanks for the tip, Turner.

I'm not unduly curious (at which point I'd place an order) only mildly curious about this one:

Symphony 162 was composed in 2006 and symphony 181 in 2007. That's 19 symphonies in the course of 1 year... ???

The critic of ResMusica is almost enthusiastic...

Turner

Yes, that is one of the titles there drawing attention ... is Segerstam some sort of a contemporary Haydn, a musical diary of our times
- and how much will he be played in the future, will people just abandon that huge amount of works? Difficult to say.

Mirror Image

I wonder what Segerstam's style is like? Absurdist? The sheer amount of work he's done doesn't exactly invite the listener in. It's more like a vast labyrinth with no end in sight.

André

At last count (September 2017) he had reached # 316   8)

I have one disc of his symphonies, in the low double digits, i.e. « early » Segerstam  ::). It's actually not bad, but quite dense. Had Nadia Boulanger been around, he might have benefited from her teaching.

Ken B

Quote from: André on February 18, 2018, 11:39:25 AM
At last count (September 2017) he had reached # 316   8)

Had Nadia Boulanger been around, he might have benefited from her teaching.

So might Ravel.

*runs for cover*

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on February 18, 2018, 12:21:57 PM
So might Ravel.

*runs for cover*
I think you misread, André didn't say she might have benefited from his teaching.  $:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Iirc Segerstam writes so quickly because so much is aleatoric or allows the orchestra freedom to improvise.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on February 18, 2018, 03:05:09 PM
Iirc Segerstam writes so quickly because so much is aleatoric or allows the orchestra freedom to improvise.

I'd rather listen to jazz then.

gilfachphil

Reading Jut1972's post about Mozart 225 encouraged me to take a chance on:

Mallorca Edition Historische Orgeln 6 SACD set from an Amazon marketplace supplier in used-acceptable condition, 'may have damaged book' £17 delivered against around £55.

It has just arrived, foil sealed but with a scratch across the top of the packing.

:)