The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 26, 2018, 08:37:55 AM
The text above says "the first recording with period instruments". So Rilling is out of the race.

Other than that I find some of Rillings soloists rather unlistenable. Too much operatic vibrato.

? The soloists are the best thing about Rilling's set!  :)

flyingdutchman

Still hoping to see the Charles Munch set for under 100 Euro as some point again.  Will pick it up the next time it sells for that.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: flyingdutchman on February 26, 2018, 09:03:23 PM
Still hoping to see the Charles Munch set for under 100 Euro as some point again.  Will pick it up the next time it sells for that.

I'll do my part to help keep demand low.  :)

prémont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 26, 2018, 08:43:02 AM
? The soloists are the best thing about Rilling's set!  :)

Yes many of them, but not them all.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

listener

A 7-disc set of the Lausanne Chamber Orch. comes in at about $5/disc at Presto, and may have some short pieces you are looking for.
Golijov: Night of the Flying Horses pour orchestre was what I wanted, Enescu: Dixtuor pour instruments à vent, Op. 14,
some recordings will be older ones.
https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8403065--75-years-orchestre-de-chambre-de-lausanne-7cd
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

Plenty of boxes for sale (DGG/Decca) at JPC.

This one seems particularly enticing: 20 discs for 34€:

Probably no libretti, but I would imagine an online link must be available.

Harry

Quote from: André on March 08, 2018, 09:33:47 AM

Yeah I saw all those boxes for sale, but I thought it's all old stuff which most people have already, other wise I would have posted a link.

André

A last hurrah for sets that will go forever into limbo ?  ;D

That Haydn box is the only one that is a real big bargain IMO. As for the rest, depends if you have it or not, I guess.

kishnevi

Quote from: André on March 08, 2018, 09:33:47 AM

I can confirm there are no libretti, just synopses.  I got it about a decade ago and finally listened to it last year.
If you like opera, or at least opera of that era, it definitely should be on your shelf.

André

Problem is, I already have that one:

Must be on my shelves since at least 5 years, and I haven't finished listening to it  ::)

kishnevi

Quote from: André on March 08, 2018, 05:20:56 PM
Problem is, I already have that one:

Must be on my shelves since at least 5 years, and I haven't finished listening to it  ::)

Still not as bad as me waiting a decade....

Harry

Baron Scarpia

I've noticed that Zoverstocks (a UK retailer that sells on Amazon.com marketplace) has a lot of CDs in the $1-$2 range, and against my better judgment I sprung for two (McCreech Matthew Passion, the Diego Fasoli Mass in b-minor). I have had a few recent orders from Zoverstocks not show up, but for these prices it is worth a risk, I think. Anyone have recent experiences with Zoverstocks to share?

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 10, 2018, 09:09:14 PM
I've noticed that Zoverstocks (a UK retailer that sells on Amazon.com marketplace) has a lot of CDs in the $1-$2 range, and against my better judgment I sprung for two (McCreech Matthew Passion, the Diego Fasoli Mass in b-minor). I have had a few recent orders from Zoverstocks not show up, but for these prices it is worth a risk, I think. Anyone have recent experiences with Zoverstocks to share?

Have ordered quite often with them.  Never had a problem.  The discs always arrived about 1 month after order.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: flyingdutchman on March 10, 2018, 09:32:58 PM
Have ordered quite often with them.  Never had a problem.  The discs always arrived about 1 month after order.

That was my experience, until a pair of orders that vanished, and as a result I used other options. Fingers crossed.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 10, 2018, 09:35:11 PM
That was my experience, until a pair of orders that vanished, and as a result I used other options. Fingers crossed.

Zoverstocks is also Musicmagpie on Amazon.uk.

Turner

I remember MusigMagpie but am not sure about ZoverstocksUK: yes, surprisingly lower prices than other dealers, but items sent from the Channel Islands, so in my case, based in Scandinavia, sudden non-EU customs and administration fees, which can amount to 30 Euros or so, even for a single disc. I totally avoid them now, and I always check the dispatch address of the dealer.

prémont

Yes, very recent. In my experience more than 30% of the orders never turns up, so I do not order from them any more.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν