The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingdutchman

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 10, 2018, 09:57:59 PM
Yes, very recent. In my experience more than 30% of the orders never turns up, so I do not order from them any more.

My most recent was about 2-3 weeks ago, but as I mentioned takes about a month to get to me.  Never had any problems. Wow, 30%.  I'm amazed.

Just got another I ordered from them just now.

Ken B

Quote from: flyingdutchman on March 10, 2018, 10:31:45 PM
My most recent was about 2-3 weeks ago, but as I mentioned takes about a month to get to me.  Never had any problems. Wow, 30%.  I'm amazed.

I have never had a problem with Zoverstocks. I am in the USA.

premont

Quote from: flyingdutchman on March 10, 2018, 10:31:45 PM

Yes, four out of twelve - so 33,33% to be precise.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aligreto

I have bought many items both new and used from Musicmagpie on Amazon.uk. Although a small percentage of them have never arrived I generally find them reliable if very slow for the CD to arrive.

André

Same here. Musicmagpie has great deals, but their orders go 'round the globe before arriving here, usually 2-4 weeks past the due date. When I check the postal sticker on the envelope it's usually from the Czech Republic  ???

flyingdutchman

I've ordered from Zoverstocks about 25 times and each one has come to me (albeit a month later).  Never have lost a shipment yet.

Turner

Quote from: André on March 11, 2018, 06:51:45 AM
Same here. Musicmagpie has great deals, but their orders go 'round the globe before arriving here, usually 2-4 weeks past the due date. When I check the postal sticker on the envelope it's usually from the Czech Republic  ???

Interesting. Wasn't my experience, as said.

Baron Scarpia

Ok. I'll have two new data points in a month's time, then. Fingers crossed.

I'll say one thing, when things got lost they refunded without an argument (after asking me to wait a bit longer).

premont

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 11, 2018, 08:16:41 AM
I'll say one thing, when things got lost they refunded without an argument (after asking me to wait a bit longer).

Yes, this is my experience too. And I can add, that the eight CD orders of all in all twelve (see above), which reached me, were in good condition, even if the jewel cases often were somewhat damaged.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aligreto

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 11, 2018, 08:16:41 AM

Same experience here also. I was never left uncompensated, despite some disappointments.

brunumb

I have bought stacks of used CDs from musicMagpie at AmazonUK.  The discs have always been in excellent condition even if the cases needed replacing.  Delivery to me in Australia has nearly always been within the expected timeline given.  Rare problems were quickly addressed by them and I always leave feedback that includes "highly recommended seller".

My other preferred source for cheap used CDs is decluttr_store on ebay (formerly Estocks USA).  Great bargains regularly pop up and postage is very cheap.  My latest bargain buy was the 43 disc DG set of complete Wagner operas for US$15.99 plus US$1 shipping to Australia.  That came to about AU$22.  On its way now.  Amazing.  I also snapped up the 14CD set of remastered Maria Callas studio recitals for about AU$15 and it was in mint condition.  You have to check regularly and pounce on the real bargains.  For some reason the first time the discs are listed the price is usually US$99, but very quickly they get revised down.  The maximum seems to be US$15.99.  Once again, highly recommended seller.

Harry

I saw to my dismay that JPC de upped their prices for the Brilliant label, which means 11,99 € for a single CD. I do not think that was a good idea. They have sold less cd's last year for then the price went up from 7,99€ to 9,99€.
Logically I am going to be even more critical in acquiring a Brilliant cd.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Spineur

Quote from: Harry's corner on March 17, 2018, 01:13:50 AM
I saw to my dismay that JPC de upped their prices for the Brilliant label, which means 11,99 € for a single CD. I do not think that was a good idea. They have sold less cd's last year for then the price went up from 7,99€ to 9,99€.
6.72€ on clicmusique.  2 cd set around 8.7€

Harry

Quote from: Spineur on March 17, 2018, 01:30:29 AM
6.72€ on clicmusique.  2 cd set around 8.7€

Sure I know that, but I was referring to the policy of JPC de, with which I do most of my business. :)
What it means I guess is that I will not buy the Brilliant releases with them anymore.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry's corner on March 17, 2018, 01:13:50 AM

I agree, Harry. Ridiculous....and very inconvenient.
I used to include Brilliant issues in my jpc orders, which mainly contain bargains.

Q

PS International shipping rates at Clic Musique are very unattractive - if I buy from them, it's usually cheaper to do it through Amazon....

kishnevi

Arkivmusic is having a one day sale (through midnight 3/22 NYC time) with some items that might interest...most notably the Teldec Complete Bach set for $149.99, which works out to about $1 per CD
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2266267

Brian

Chandos deleted titles sale. These CDs are OOP and the label is clearing out the very last of their stock.
https://www.chandos.net/sale-cds

Some potentially interesting:
"The Unknown Shostakovich" featuring his orchestration of Schumann's Cello Concerto
Rozhdestvensky conducting Enescu and Schnittke
I Musici de Montreal playing South American music for string orchestra
Hickox' Malcolm Arnold symphony cycle
Mozart concertos with Howard Shelley and the London Mozart Players
Many installments of the "Opera in English" series (including a Mackerras Jenufa, Wozzeck, and Don Giovanni)
HIP Hummel and Schubert piano quintets

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on March 22, 2018, 06:08:39 AM
Chandos deleted titles sale. These CDs are OOP and the label is clearing out the very last of their stock.
https://www.chandos.net/sale-cds

Some potentially interesting:
"The Unknown Shostakovich" featuring his orchestration of Schumann's Cello Concerto
Rozhdestvensky conducting Enescu and Schnittke
I Musici de Montreal playing South American music for string orchestra
Hickox' Malcolm Arnold symphony cycle
Mozart concertos with Howard Shelley and the London Mozart Players
Many installments of the "Opera in English" series (including a Mackerras Jenufa, Wozzeck, and Don Giovanni)
HIP Hummel and Schubert piano quintets

There's the set of Zemlinsky string quartets I already popped for. Grr The disc of Respighi Piano Concertos is top notch.

Turner

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 22, 2018, 06:22:04 AM
There's the set of Zemlinsky string quartets I already popped for. Grr The disc of Respighi Piano Concertos is top notch.

+1