The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: flyingdutchman on January 07, 2019, 02:02:35 PM
Came finally!  Big box.  Will rip it to Itunes and ALAC Lossless and do some more listening.  What do you suggest I start with?  I'm thinking the Cantatas.

I like the Cantatas, not period instrument, but a relatively small, intimate ensemble, well rehearsed choir and often very good soloists. I liked BWV 3, particularly the soprano-alto duet with a nice contribution from Arleen Auger. I think the trio sonatas for organ in that set is the best I've heard. Admittedly, I've listened to a small fraction of it so far.

André

For those who are interested in the Martinon Chicago box (RCA), JPC sells it under 20€.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 07, 2019, 02:17:03 PM
I like the Cantatas, not period instrument, but a relatively small, intimate ensemble, well rehearsed choir and often very good soloists. I liked BWV 3, particularly the soprano-alto duet with a nice contribution from Arleen Auger. I think the trio sonatas for organ in that set is the best I've heard. Admittedly, I've listened to a small fraction of it so far.
I bought my version about 12 yrs ago and it was in 2 big boxes each with double jewel cases containing 4cds. I also agree the cantatas are the best place to start. The performers read like a bunch of all stars and they do not disappoint.

king ubu

Okay, my French is, well ... rusty, but I am biting, this* is a crazy offer. Let's see what those 1-3 months mean and if they will really deliver or not.

*) the Mozart 225 that is, amounts to 60.65 + 8.57 £ for shipping
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

MyronM

Quote from: flyingdutchman on January 07, 2019, 11:27:01 AM
Well, I'm finally going to be getting this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003LR4QPE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it for about $60 shipped.

Got my Amazon shipment notice today.  Also paid about the same price.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Glad I didn't dawdle on the Szell edition when the price dropped. It seems to be no longer available (on Amazon.com) with asking price of $500 from scalpers.

Haven't gotten it out of shrink-wrap yet!

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 10, 2019, 02:14:39 PM
Glad I didn't dawdle on the Szell edition when the price dropped. It seems to be no longer available (on Amazon.com) with asking price of $500 from scalpers.

Haven't gotten it out of shrink-wrap yet!

I got mine at the sale price and will rip it and sell it.  Hopefully at a profit.

Pat B

Quote from: flyingdutchman on January 10, 2019, 02:48:53 PM
I got mine at the sale price and will rip it and sell it.  Hopefully at a profit.

Classy.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Pat B on January 10, 2019, 10:27:20 PM
Classy.

I don't really care what you think what I do with my collection.  Besides, I'm at a stage in my life where space and money are more important than keeping a physical thing that takes up space. If I can make some money in the process, all the better.

North Star

You could just as well save yourself the hassle of buying and selling by just downloading the music from various websites offering them for free..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

flyingdutchman

Not a in a FLAC or ALAC version.  Spotify has them, in a lossy format.  I want mine in FLAC or ALAC, and those aren't free.  Besides, if I can sell it for even the price I paid for it, it's free.

bluemooze

Quote from: North Star on January 12, 2019, 01:14:20 PM
You could just as well save yourself the hassle of buying and selling by just downloading the music from various websites offering them for free..
Can you name some of the websites please?   :)

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: flyingdutchman on January 12, 2019, 02:34:33 PM
Not a in a FLAC or ALAC version.  Spotify has them, in a lossy format.  I want mine in FLAC or ALAC, and those aren't free. 
Does that really matter? i can't tell the difference.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 15, 2019, 11:02:12 AM
Does that really matter? i can't tell the difference.

I can.  It's like watching a movie in 4K versus low-def, IMO.

Harry

On JPC de, label DORON, 43 titles at 4,99€ a piece, there are some interesting titles.

https://www.jpc.de/s/Doron+jetzt+g%C3%BCnstig?searchtype=campaigntext
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

André

Thanks, Harry. I found one I'm very interested in !

king ubu

Quote from: MyronM on December 21, 2018, 07:57:55 AM
Amazon UK has the Mozart 225 French edition available for 93.12 Pounds!  (They also offer the English version for over 300 Pounds)
But, dispatch is listed between 1 to 3 months.
Just ordered it for approximately $102, including shipping to the U.S.

[asin]B01GR16LO4[/asin]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GR16LO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now to find an online French language course.....

Dec 22 update: Price has dropped to 90.20 Pounds.  Also, the title of this item was changed to : "Mozart 225: Complete Edition / Various".  Are they now offering this in different languages, almost like a grab bag?

There we go again:

Unfortunately, we've had to cancel your order #..... for "Mozart 225: Complete Edition / Various - FRENCH EDITION", as this item has been discontinued by the manufacturer and we are no longer able to source it. You haven't been charged for this item.

We're sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

flyingdutchman

Quote from: king ubu on January 18, 2019, 04:20:23 AM
There we go again:

Mine too.  Furious, as they countlessly listed it for sale at a low price, hiking it and then listing it for a sale price again.  That was no mistake, but they clearly didn't want to fulfill orders.