The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

These are great bargains, especially the solo keyboard box (missing the art of fugue, though). Note that they also have the 172 discs complete Bach by Hänssler for EUR 130.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

listener

Not "super duper" but reduced in price only for a few weeks annually,
Austrian specialties at half price
http://shop.tiroler-landesmuseen.at/cd-dvd/musikmuseum.html
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

These great sets are on sale at JPC:

14.99€

16.99€

14.99€

mc ukrneal

Chandos have a sale on downloads of Naxos on their site. 2.30 pounds per disc.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

steve ridgway

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 05, 2020, 06:21:33 PM
Chandos have a sale on downloads of Naxos on their site. 2.30 pounds per disc.

Ooh that looks good, it seems they throw in an MP3 download along with a FLAC or ALAC. I can a whole load of Penderecki there - I'd better start sampling to see what I want :D.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: 2dogs on January 06, 2020, 07:22:10 AM
Ooh that looks good, it seems they throw in an MP3 download along with a FLAC or ALAC. I can a whole load of Penderecki there - I'd better start sampling to see what I want :D.

The Naxos/Penderecki cycle is very fine!

JBS

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 06, 2020, 11:25:21 AM

If this is part of the sale, grab it!

It happens to be both great chamber music and outrageously priced on Amazon (I presume it's OOP).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Verulamian

Quote from: 2dogs on January 06, 2020, 07:22:10 AM

I hope you are aware that your local library service provides access to Naxos Music Library - an astonishing online resource with many labels.  Not the highest bit rate for library members, but decent enough (I'm suspicious I get a better sound then they state).  Excellent for "try before you" buy.....  (I've found that Penderecki Chamber music recording, for example, complete with PDF booklet).

Bit of an art to track down recordings sometimes - don't settle for no trace on an advanced search - many a recording can be found on the label/composer pages once you know the label.   See  #17 (and #16,others etc) here:
http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?7506-Online-Naxos-music-library/page2

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Verulamian on January 07, 2020, 02:51:19 AM
I hope you are aware that your local library service provides access to Naxos Music Library - an astonishing online resource with many labels.  Not the highest bit rate for library members, but decent enough (I'm suspicious I get a better sound then they state).  Excellent for "try before you" buy.....  (I've found that Penderecki Chamber music recording, for example, complete with PDF booklet).

Bit of an art to track down recordings sometimes - don't settle for no trace on an advanced search - many a recording can be found on the label/composer pages once you know the label.   See  #17 (and #16,others etc) here:
http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?7506-Online-Naxos-music-library/page2

Worth remembering too that the magnificent resource IMSLP - if you pay a subscription (barely £20 pa) this includes access to the Naxos Music library of recordings which relate to scores available through IMSLP.  So sadly nothing that is still in copyright but lots of fine music to explore still...

Martin H

Thanks, Verulamian. That's a truly amazing resource - some 150,000 discs in their library (from brand new to decidely rare).

As a Barbican Library member in the UK, I've ready free access. but I hope public libraries elsewhere and in other countries may have signed up to it.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 06, 2020, 11:25:21 AM

Sounds promising. The 60 - 90 second samples are useful, I should be able to prune the purchases down a bit.

Abuelo Igor

Is it just me or "Super-duper cheap bargains", especially when it comes to mega-box sets of Universal Music, seem to have petered out dramatically in recent years?
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Roasted Swan

A good value box from Capriccio;

[asin]B081WVQC5V[/asin]

a brand new release in this box format.  The individual discs were well received and mainly still available but at a high price for each disc.  So this represents a bout a 70% discount on the individual disc price.  One of the odd cases of Amazon pricing where their low bit-rate MP3 download is vastly more expensive than the CD hard copies - go figure!

ritter

I bought the Zimmermann, the Ginastera and the Krenek as single releases, and they're all excellent! That box set looks like a really good deal. ;)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on January 22, 2020, 02:53:09 PM
Is it just me or "Super-duper cheap bargains", especially when it comes to mega-box sets of Universal Music, seem to have petered out dramatically in recent years?

The labels, esp Sony, used to keep reducing prices til they'd finally cleared out a big "special edition" box (Perahia, Rubinstein, Ma, etc). Sometimes it was like summer clothes sales at Thanksgiving time.  They seem to have wizened up, and now print fewer and sell out relatively quickly (Szell, Monteux).
It's all good...

Roasted Swan

Quote from: ritter on February 10, 2020, 09:11:17 AM
I bought the Zimmermann, the Ginastera and the Krenek as single releases, and they're all excellent! That box set looks like a really good deal. ;)

I only double up on the Ginastera disc which I enjoyed a lot - so if I can sell that on for £5 it becomes an even better deal!  Lots of music I don't know at all so I'll be interested to find a thread........

Malx

Do you have a link to the box on the UK site.

Thanks.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Malx on February 11, 2020, 12:10:13 PM
Do you have a link to the box on the UK site.

Thanks.

[asin]B081WVQC5V[/asin]

this will take you to Amazon.com I think but put this ASIN code into a search box on Amazon uk and it will pop up the right set - B081WVQC5V.  £28.44 (on Prime) - 10 x CD's plus a "making of" DVD.   Release date is within the last week - I haven't looked anywhere else but doubt it could be much/any cheaper

akebergv

Roasted Swan

Quote from: akebergv on February 14, 2020, 10:48:23 PM
It is slightly cheaper (€28) at Amazon.de.

I got my copy a couple of days ago and it is very fine indeed.  Interesting choice of repertoire (obviously available in other versions) avoiding 'obvious' 20th Century rep, well played and recorded.  The shipping from German Amazon would cancel out the cheaper set cost but either way still v. good value.