The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooky

Alexei Lubimov
7cd Box Set @ Amazon.com for$12.99 --- likely mispriced
https://www.amazon.com/Alexei-Lubimov/dp/B083XV6RB8
If it was not for the most part Fortepianos, might bite !
"...when the night came, tortured by the usual melancholy of my thoughts, taking a vihuela,
I went out by a back door to the fields, to put aside my worries, and to enjoy the fresh wind
that was blowing..." Rojas, 1603

vers la flamme

Quote from: spooky on February 15, 2020, 05:50:21 PM
Alexei Lubimov
7cd Box Set @ Amazon.com for$12.99 --- likely mispriced
https://www.amazon.com/Alexei-Lubimov/dp/B083XV6RB8
If it was not for the most part Fortepianos, might bite !

What a steal!! I dislike fortepianos too. But I might go for it anyway just for the sheer bargain of it all. I know nothing of Lubimov, though I love much of that repertoire.

André

The set looks interesting to me. I know this pianist only through his recordings of music by Valentin Silvestrov.

Alek Hidell

Yes, thanks for pointing that one out, spooky! I snapped it up and will see if they really come through on March 13 (when it's released).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

vers la flamme

There is this for people who like fortepianos:

[asin]B07CPK4SXN[/asin]

I don't know about a super-duper cheap bargain but less than $20 for 6 CDs ain't too bad.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Que on February 23, 2020, 05:22:17 AM
Not bad indeed!  :)

What about €10:D

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-1756-1791-Klaviersonaten-Nr-1-18/hnum/2549272?lang=en

Gotta love JPC... great deals, sometimes. Can't say I'm familiar with Mr. Schoonderwoerd, but it appears he plays on clavichord, fortepiano, and tangent piano, which is interesting, probably even more so to those among us who are real HIP enthusiasts.

André

Que

Quote from: André on February 23, 2020, 06:13:01 PM
Or 7.99€ :

Not on fortepiano, but sensitive and illuminating performances nonetheless  :)

My favourite sonatas set on a "modern" instrument!  :)

Q

aligreto

Or 7.99€ :

A steal for such a wonderful set.

vers la flamme

Do you have a link, André? I just bought a Mozart sonatas set just weeks ago, and I'm currently still enamored with it, the Christoph Eschenbach. But I can't pass that up for $7.99!

Edit: Here it is:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-1756-1791-Klaviersonaten-Nr-1-18/hnum/2277309

Harry

Or 7.99€ :

When I was a bit younger, I bought a CD shop in my place. More than 6000 CD'S in the collection. I played the Pires continuously, and sold in a single day in excess of 30 complete sets, and this was a full price mind. Denon was at that time a very expensive label, a lot I had to import.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 23, 2020, 05:22:17 AM
Not bad indeed!  :)

What about €10:D

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-1756-1791-Klaviersonaten-Nr-1-18/hnum/2549272?lang=en

I once said something positive about that set, and amw, bless her, told me that you'd have to be weird to like it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on February 24, 2020, 02:38:56 AM
I once said something positive about that set, and amw, bless her, told me that you'd have to be weird to like it.

I've bought the set, but haven't listened to it yet.

Schoonderwoerd is apparently an acquired taste, an enfant terrible.

Some cringe at the sound of his LvB or Mozart concertos performances,  but I love it...  8)

Q

Brian

Schoonderwoerd's Beethoven concertos are way out there on the edge. I used to enjoy them in my younger days but now can't listen to more than a minute or so!

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on February 24, 2020, 09:24:57 AM
I've bought the set, but haven't listened to it yet.

Schoonderwoerd is apparently an acquired taste, an enfant terrible.

Some cringe at the sound of his LvB or Mozart concertos performances,  but I love it...  8)

Q

Well I went back to the Mozart and I think it is well worth having. I was impressed.

In the Beethoven, the sound is fabulous I agree. The piano playing is a real challenge to conservatory conventions. Not music I'm much interested in at the moment.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Que on February 23, 2020, 09:13:16 PM
My favourite sonatas [Mozart/Pires/Denon] on a "modern" instrument!  :)

Q

Incidentally the only modern piano Mozart sonatas set I haven't culled (among about ten sets).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 29, 2020, 02:40:48 AM
Incidentally the only modern piano Mozart sonatas set I haven't culled (among about ten sets).

I'm not surprised!  :)

And there quite a few cycles on period instruments that are not just that, but are amazing in interpretation as well.
I understand nostalgic feelings towards performances from yesteryear, but I feel in Mozart sonatas there is little reason to look back.

Q

vers la flamme

I just found this:

[asin]B083XSZKTP[/asin]

17 discs of period-instrument Beethoven for $17.99. Wait, what? Really? I might buy one just on general principle, even though I have no interest in duplicating all this repertoire. That is a super-duper cheap bargain if I've ever seen one.

André

17 cds, 29.99€ At JPC, 25.66US$ at Amazon.com.

An historical survey, for the completist mainly I guess. Nice box design.