The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j winter

Quote from: Brian on May 21, 2020, 07:34:41 AM
If you don't yet have Chailly's Beethoven symphony cycle from Leipzig - probably my favorite of the century so far, and ditto many other Beethovenians - the physical box set is now just $13 on Presto. Part of a box set clear-out sale with various other goodies

Yeah, that's a great set.  It's been a long time since I did serious (for me  :P  ) comparative listening and ranked Beethoven sets (I have a fair many, as some folks here will recall), but Chailly's certainly somewhere in the top 10 for me... it's a good example IMO of taking some of the learnings from HIP and applying them to a modern orchestra -- almost a best-of-both-worlds sort of approach....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

MusicTurner

Danacord shop in Copenhagen is an old-style classical record shop with an unusually large physical selection & good, competitive offers. I've been buying a good deal there recently and would like to mention (1 Euro is 7.50 DKK):

- Brilliant Classics: 2CD sets go for DKK 59,50. They have some releases otherwise not always so easy to obtain, such as the Schreker release and Dukas piano music.

- Brilliant Classics: some large box sets on offer for DKK 149,50, including
the Frescobaldi 15CD, Russian Piano Concertos 15CD, French Piano Concertos 12CD, Alkan box 13CD, W.F.Bach 14CD, Monteverdi Complete Madrigals 12CD, Pachelbel complete keyboard works 13CD, Weiss London Manuscript 12CD, Fritz Brun symphonies etc. 11CD, etc.
https://www.danacordbutik.dk/specials.php

- Bridge records: Ruders 2nd Piano Concerto etc. DKK 49,50; McDermott plays Haydn Sonatas & Concertos 2CD 49,50

- Scribendum. Competitive prices, includes Yudina 26CD DKK 339,50
https://www.danacordbutik.dk/index.php?manufacturers_id=713&sort=4a&page=1
Svetlanov Russian Music 20CD DKK 249,50
https://www.danacordbutik.dk/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&inc_subcat=1&keywords=svetlanov&sort=2a&page=3

Roasted Swan

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 21, 2020, 08:11:35 AM

the Frescobaldi 15CD, Russian Piano Concertos 15CD, French Piano Concertos 12CD, Alkan box 13CD, W.F.Bach 14CD, Monteverdi Complete Madrigals 12CD, Pachelbel complete keyboard works 13CD, Weiss London Manuscript 12CD, Fritz Brun symphonies etc. 11CD, etc.

For those interested/open to downloading - Amazon has these several of these Brilliant "big boxes" (the Brun and the Russian/French PC's for sure) @ £7.99 per set which is tremendous value if you are OK with the relatively low bit rates.......

André

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 21, 2020, 08:11:35 AM
Danacord shop in Copenhagen is an old-style classical record shop with an unusually large physical selection & good, competitive offers. I've been buying a good deal there recently and would like to mention (1 Euro is 7.50 DKK):

- Brilliant Classics: 2CD sets go for DKK 59,50. They have some releases otherwise not always so easy to obtain, such as the Schreker release and Dukas piano music.

https://www.danacordbutik.dk/specials.php

- Bridge records: Ruders 2nd Piano Concerto etc. DKK 49,50; McDermott plays Haydn Sonatas & Concertos 2CD 49,50

- Scribendum. Competitive prices, includes Yudina 26CD DKK 339,50
https://www.danacordbutik.dk/index.php?manufacturers_id=713&sort=4a&page=1
Svetlanov Russian Music 20CD DKK 249,50
https://www.danacordbutik.dk/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&inc_subcat=1&keywords=svetlanov&sort=2a&page=3

Thanks for the tip!

I ordered the Svetlanov set - a fantastic bargain !

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on May 21, 2020, 03:27:23 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I ordered the Svetlanov set - a fantastic bargain !

Hope it works. Postage to abroad might cost more than the website states immediately. Of about 14 items I ordered on two occasions and then collected, only 1 was not in stock.

André

I was only charged for the price of the set (249dk, or 51$cad - something like 33€). There was no postage fee on the bill and my credit card was charged for just that amount (51$). I'm crossing my fingers  ::)

MusicTurner

André

I suppose they'll bill me when they ship. I hope it's not too much. In any case, I've slowed my purchases lately, so I shouldn't bust my budget  :D.

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on May 21, 2020, 04:25:36 PM
I suppose they'll bill me when they ship. I hope it's not too much. In any case, I've slowed my purchases lately, so I shouldn't bust my budget  :D.

I contacted them on the matter, just to be sure.

International shippings will mean that the extra postage fee of the Danish postal services 'Postnord' will be added to the bill. Their website tells of postage in Denmark. But they'll provide the buyer with an extra link just for paying that postage.

I wouldn't worry about money, in case you regret your order.
Even when I payed more via the web, due to an item it turned out they didn't have in stock,
they only deduced for the available items.

So if you don't want the order after all, just inform them, and it will be allright.

Of course, buyers should be aware of local customs rules in their own country.
Also, to make things easy for oneself, it might be better for a start just to email them about items and the resulting postage fee,
rather than filling out the order form immediately, at least when one hasn't tried it before.

André

Sound advice, thanks. I got an email saying they will advise me of the delivery cost next Monday (writing this on Friday). I don't think the postage fee will be prohibitive, so I'm fine with the amount they'll charge me.

MusicTurner

vers la flamme

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 28, 2020, 02:31:48 AM
JPC has the complete Bach cantatas with Rilling for 49,99 Euros (=71 CDs), which must be considered cheap.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Das-Kantatenwerk-Geistliche-weltliche-Kantaten/hnum/1157090

Thoughts on this set anyone? I know it's not exactly a HIP cycle. But wasn't it the first Bach cantatas cycle to be completed, barely edging out the Leonhardt/Harnoncourt collaboration in its completion...? For the price I must admit I am very tempted to pull the trigger on it, even if I would prefer a full set from Koopman or Suzuki (both are outrageously expensive, especially in comparison to this one!)

MusicTurner

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 05, 2020, 02:45:35 AM
Thoughts on this set anyone? I know it's not exactly a HIP cycle. But wasn't it the first Bach cantatas cycle to be completed, barely edging out the Leonhardt/Harnoncourt collaboration in its completion...? For the price I must admit I am very tempted to pull the trigger on it, even if I would prefer a full set from Koopman or Suzuki (both are outrageously expensive, especially in comparison to this one!)

I only have that set + a lot of Karl Richter, skipped Leusink since I found him awful. Am quite satisfied with Rilling, I don't think there are any major problems with it (like say the countertenor with Leusink).

EDIT: forgot to mention that I replaced Gardiner's set with Rilling too.

Mookalafalas

As I recall, the main complaint about the Rilling is related to adherence to one aspect related to HIP: the boys' choir.  The choir sound is nice, IMO, but tends to sound the same on each disk that uses it, and so ends up sounding less than fresh after a while. Aside from that, who could complain about Rilling and Leonhardt? Fine and dedicated musicians working with a fantastic ensemble.
It's all good...

JBS

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 05, 2020, 02:45:35 AM

It's fine, and at that price well worth it.  But check out Gardiner's cycle, which is my favorite of the three I have (Leonhardt/Harnoncourt is the third, I don't like boy soprano soloists).  What I have heard of Suzuki I don't care for. I have no idea of what Gardiner costs now.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

@Mookalafalas
Rilling does not use a boys' choir. Neither does Richter. They have fairly large mixed choirs, modern instruments and are generally pre-HIP although the 1990s re-recordings of some Bach choral works show Rilling adapting some HIP manners, but still has modern instruments. The main attraction of both (unlike non-HIP is a major attraction) are the soloists. They are not all equally good but there are lots of great names included.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ratliff

Quote from: Jo498 on June 05, 2020, 07:41:04 AM
@Mookalafalas
Rilling does not use a boys' choir. Neither does Richter. They have fairly large mixed choirs, modern instruments and are generally pre-HIP although the 1990s re-recordings of some Bach choral works show Rilling adapting some HIP manners, but still has modern instruments. The main attraction of both (unlike non-HIP is a major attraction) are the soloists. They are not all equally good but there are lots of great names included.

I agree that the soloists are the best feature of the Rilling set. It is not HIP, but it is not Furtwangler either. He seems to use an appropriately sized chamber orchestra and doesn't offend my ears which are accustomed to HIP Bach.

Jo498

In the 70s when the Rilling series started it was received as "modern" Bach because HIP was still fairly exotic and it was to be the only complete cantatas series besides Harnoncourt/Leonhardt for a while. But by the mid/late 1980s the tables had been turned, I guess, and 30 years later with HIP dominant it will appear old-fashioned in some respects.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ammar

For those who like their polyphony bare-chested, Amazon.es has the Beauty Farm recordings of De La Rue & Ockeghem Masses for 9.80 euro & 6.65 euro respectively (although both are temporarily out of stock at the moment)

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B079VD2Z1F/
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01MSWBUN8/

Que