The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveF

A seller on eBay UK has the Warner Berlioz Complete Works for £34.99:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Various-Artists-Berlioz-Complete-Works-New-Sealed-27-CD-Boxset/124154543392?hash=item1ce82ffd20:g:axEAAOSwGVVelvLD

There were 4 copies available, now only 3 after I grabbed one.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Harry

At JPC de CD'S from the label arts, 211 of them for a bargain price, and also the Newton label....
Be quick about it, it usually does not stay long for the price..

https://www.jpc.de/s/Preisaktion+Arts?searchtype=campaigntext
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on July 02, 2020, 12:11:35 AM
At JPC de CD'S from the label arts, 211 of them for a bargain price, and also the Newton label....
Be quick about it, it usually does not stay long for the price..

https://www.jpc.de/s/Preisaktion+Arts?searchtype=campaigntext

Great!  :)

I check jpc almost everyday, but somehow you are always the first to alert me!  :D

Q

PS I can recommend the Corelli and the Albinoni!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

T. D.

At Berkshire for $29.85  ($1.99 per disc) + shipping.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on July 29, 2020, 11:10:20 PM

At Berkshire for $29.85  ($1.99 per disc) + shipping.
Ooooh!  So tempting!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 31, 2020, 09:28:39 AM
Ooooh!  So tempting!  :)

PD

I mentioned this once before - this Brilliant set is available (in the UK - so I guess elsewhere too) for just £7.99 which works out at about 50p per CD's worth........

T. D.

I didn't see any prices nearly that low in the US...what I posted above seems pretty good relative to other Stateside offerings.

Todd

Pohjolas Daughter

Klara Wurtz is the only pianist's name that's familiar to me (don't know her recordings).....I do also see Kissin's name there (which I do have an album or two of his).  Anyone else here familiar with their work?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Martin H

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 31, 2020, 01:47:55 PM
I mentioned this once before - this Brilliant set is available (in the UK - so I guess elsewhere too) for just £7.99 which works out at about 50p per CD's worth........

Where do you find that, please?

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 01, 2020, 02:37:27 AM
Klara Wurtz is the only pianist's name that's familiar to me (don't know her recordings).....I do also see Kissin's name there (which I do have an album or two of his).  Anyone else here familiar with their work?

PD

They are all good recordings and fine, engaged musicians - only Balakirev/Ponti, Paderewski and maybe Arensky feel a bit dated soundwise perhaps. I have a special fondness for the quicker-than-usual, impressionistic and endlessly intricate flow of Ponti in Medtner's 3rd. His Scriabin, Moszkowski and Scharwenka Concertos are really good too, but the sound in Scriabin in particular could have more details. Some think well of Paik in Prokofiev, but I skipped the original Naxos releases, found the playing uinteresting. There aren't any Kissin recordings in the box. The Bortkiewicz concerti are finds. Lyapunov and Kabalevsky are fine too. Mosolov is slightly less aggressive than the Melodya recording, and it suits the music better, IMHO.

Overall, absolutely recommended.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 01, 2020, 04:59:39 AM
They are all good recordings and fine, engaged musicians - only Balakirev/Ponti, Paderewski and maybe Arensky feel a bit dated soundwise perhaps. I have a special fondness for the quicker-than-usual, impressionistic and endlessly intricate flow of Ponti in Medtner's 3rd. His Scriabin, Moszkowski and Scharwenka Concertos are really good too, but the sound in Scriabin in particular could have more details. Some think well of Paik in Prokofiev, but I skipped the original Naxos releases, found the playing uinteresting. There aren't any Kissin recordings in the box. The Bortkiewicz concerti are finds. Lyapunov and Kabalevsky are fine too. Mosolov is slightly less aggressive than the Melodya recording, and it suits the music better, IMHO.

Overall, absolutely recommended.
Thank you MT for your thoughtful comments.  I'm scratching my head a bit as this was the description that I read of the box on Prestoclassical's website.

"There is a special quality to Russian Piano Concertos: apart from their jaw dropping virtuosity and orchestral brilliance they share that common Slavonic flavor, an undefinable mixture of melancholy and passion, whether smouldering or blazing.

This set contains the famous concertos by Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich and Prokofiev, but also lesser known composers: Anton Rubinstein, Medtner, Glazunov, Kabalevsky, Scriabin, Khatchaturian, Arensky, Balakirev, Lyapunov, Bortkiewicz and Khrennikov. Adding extra spice to the set are the concertos by Scharwenka and Moszkowski, Polish by birth but Slavic in spirit.

Excellent performances by Michael Ponti, Boris Giltburg, Yevgeny Kissin, Stefan Doniga and others."

I added the bold.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

I suspect the Kissin performance is one of the ones found in this double CD

I remember them as being nice listens. Off the top of my head I don't remember which concerto Kissin played. (It was recorded when he was still a teenager in Russia.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

MusicTurner

Sorry yes, I overlooked the Khrennikov Kissin. Funnily, it seems to that when I go to Presto's site on my mobile, the Khrennikov isn't shown in the specified list of the content. I'm on vacation but of course have the box at home.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Martin H on August 01, 2020, 02:46:10 AM
Where do you find that, please?

standard Amazon listing.  Here's a link - for the UK anyway - but just searching "Russian Piano Concertos" and opting for the MP3 should find it.  They're selling the CD version there for around £40!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Piano-Concertos-Various-artists/dp/B079ZN8F1T/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=russian+piano+concertos&qid=1596354344&sr=8-1

Martin H

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 01, 2020, 11:47:26 PM
standard Amazon listing.  Here's a link - for the UK anyway - but just searching "Russian Piano Concertos" and opting for the MP3 should find it.  They're selling the CD version there for around £40!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Piano-Concertos-Various-artists/dp/B079ZN8F1T/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=russian+piano+concertos&qid=1596354344&sr=8-1

Thanks (I'd been thinking it was for the CD set!)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 01, 2020, 08:23:04 PM
Sorry yes, I overlooked the Khrennikov Kissin. Funnily, it seems to that when I go to Presto's site on my mobile, the Khrennikov isn't shown in the specified list of the content. I'm on vacation but of course have the box at home.
Hope that you're someplace nice and cool?  Or at least not humid?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 02, 2020, 02:58:02 AM
Hope that you're someplace nice and cool?  Or at least not humid?   :)

PD

Thanks. Had to stay in Denmark obviously, most of July was not good weatherwise, but now I'm touring parts of Sjælland/Zealand, Funen and Langeland islands on my bicycle with a tent for a couple of weeks, and summer has finally come, as can be seen from the photos here from Langeland such as near Lohals this morning (where I'm staying) and from Tranekær castle yesterday 🙂. Places here have funny names, such as Tullebølle, Skattebølle Østrig (=Austria) and Lille Snøde ... Hope you are enjoying your garden & that you all find things to enjoy these days!

Will be searching for more offers such as JPC later in August. I have a wish list of about 20 items, but am not in hurry, and they are almost only 1 CD releases.