The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Reviews of the Neuhold Ring set are generally very discouraging. I listened to one of the cycle, and found it really provincial level. Decent Ring Cycles are available pretty cheaply now (especially pre-owned) - from post-war Bayreuth sets to more recent digital recordings.
At that price, no-one would waste money, but it seems wrong to embark on such a major endeavour with a second-class (third-class?) introduction. The huge demands of the Cycle - and the great rewards they offer - suggest it's worth spending rather more and getting soloists, orchestra and sound worthy of the works.

DaveF

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 09, 2021, 11:44:51 AM
For those interested, the Chandos website has 60 % off on Naxos CDs and Download. The FLAC work out at £2.30 for the single CDs.

They also have a January Sale on another 3000+ titles.

Well spotted, thank you.  The Naxos seems to be everything, even things like Craft's Schoenberg series, which I've never seen discounted anywhere.  I'm going to be diving in...
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

MusicTurner

I don't see any Naxos offers on the site from here in Denmark, and only a limited number of Chandos items on sale.

But then, my plan is to buy less this year, than in 2020 ...

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on January 09, 2021, 11:27:00 AM
I have that set and it's quite good, actually. A real concept runs through it, orchestral playing is entirely adequate and most of the cast sings well and characterizes the music very believably.

I would say the orchestral playing is far better than "entirely adequate"!  I think the performance as a whole and certainly at a bargain price is really very good indeed.  I worked with Neuhold when he was artistic director of the Teatro Regio in Parma in the mid 80's.  He's a very impressive conductor/musician who really knows what he wants to achieve with a piece and has the technique to get the orchestra to produce it.

André

2.99€ for about 70 CPO titles at JPC. I wish I could order, but since the pandemic started last year their carrier (DHL) has stopped deliveries to Canada  :-[...but not to the US  ???.

DaveF

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 11, 2021, 01:49:44 AM
I don't see any Naxos offers on the site from here in Denmark, and only a limited number of Chandos items on sale.

But then, my plan is to buy less this year, than in 2020 ...

https://www.chandos.net/label/Naxos/0 >:D

MusicTurner

Brian

Americans: ArkivMusic has Brilliant 20 CD collection of Italian piano music for $30.

https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp;jsessionid=2F8680CF2AE84C4F2F64BACE881A7778?album_id=2232027

"works by Martucci, Cilea, Busoni, Sinigaglia, Caetani, Fano, Respighi, Pizzetti, Casella, Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Dallapiccola, Rota, Malipiero, Castiglioni, and Einaudi."

Handelian

I just got a copy of Heereweghe's 2001 Matthew Passion for just over £6

premont

Quote from: Handelian on January 30, 2021, 08:38:39 AM
I just got a copy of Heereweghe's 2001 Matthew Passion for just over £6

Well worth it and even more than that. Congratulations.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 11, 2021, 05:17:31 AM
2.99€ for about 70 CPO titles at JPC. I wish I could order, but since the pandemic started last year their carrier (DHL) has stopped deliveries to Canada  :-[...but not to the US  ???.

I just saw this post. Are you serious? That is so odd and seems like a bad move all-around for DHL.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2021, 06:01:36 AM
I just saw this post. Are you serious? That is so odd and seems like a bad move all-around for DHL.

JPC confirms that DHL is not delivering to Canada (has not since March 2020) but there might be a change this year. Meanwhile I've arranged a smuggling scheme that will allow me to get the goods. Life finds a way, as Dr. Ian Malcolm is fond of saying... :D

Handelian

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 30, 2021, 11:13:24 AM
Well worth it and even more than that. Congratulations.

Yes I have his earlier version. But good to have this one too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 31, 2021, 07:58:49 AM
JPC confirms that DHL is not delivering to Canada (has not since March 2020) but there might be a change this year. Meanwhile I've arranged a smuggling scheme that will allow me to get the goods. Life finds a way, as Dr. Ian Malcolm is fond of saying... :D

Hah! Yes, where there's a will, there's a way. :)

Roasted Swan

The ultimate cheap bargain - its free!  A vox-derived box of Schubert Piano music (5 hours worth) from Classicselectworld;

https://www.classicselectworld.com/collections/digital-downloads

you go through a standard purchase procedure - add to cart/check-out/give e-mail etc but then the "amount payable" is just £0.00.  This seems to change from time to time which box is offered.  Bit rates are quite low and recording quality is variable but there are always a gem or two to be found in these sets.  Worth browsing their other sets too - the Wyn Morris/LSO Beethoven cycle for $0.99 for example!

PS:  my security flagged up this site as insecure due to an out of date/not matching certificate but as far as I can tell its fine and legit and the downloads have worked fine.....

DaveF

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 02, 2021, 04:59:47 AM
the Wyn Morris/LSO Beethoven cycle for $0.99 for example!

Now that really is a bargain (£1.00 for UK purchasers) - I got the physical discs from a charity shop last year and it's become perhaps my favourite non-HIP cycle.  It's not clear, but are the downloads MP3s?

Biffo

Quote from: DaveF on February 02, 2021, 08:01:47 AM
Now that really is a bargain (£1.00 for UK purchasers) - I got the physical discs from a charity shop last year and it's become perhaps my favourite non-HIP cycle.  It's not clear, but are the downloads MP3s?

I would guess that they are mp3 at that price. A while ago I bought the cycle as a bargain price download (now can't remember where) and it is mp3. I was so impressed with the Eroica that I bought it as a CD as a supplement.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Biffo on February 02, 2021, 08:08:38 AM
I would guess that they are mp3 at that price. A while ago I bought the cycle as a bargain price download (now can't remember where) and it is mp3. I was so impressed with the Eroica that I bought it as a CD as a supplement.

Yes they are MP3's and not a high bit rate but genuinely at that price its a no-brainer appendix to other favourite cycles. 

DavidW

Koopman's Bach cantatas are 190 euros from JPC.  They used to be significantly more expensive.  They are my favorite complete cycle, and I've been listening to them for years.  My favorite incomplete ones are Herreweghe and Kuijken.  At 67 cds that is less than 3 euros per cd.

JBS

Perhaps not a super-duper bargain, but Arkivmusic has the Sony Black Composers set on sale for $29.99 this month
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2276790

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk