The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Anyone saw this? Not my cup of tea, but maybe for others! 70€ no less!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Martin H

I'm not a sufficient Josquin fan to want 34 CDs of his music, but the cover is so delicious I'm almost tempted!

Harry

Quote from: Martin H on July 19, 2021, 02:12:59 AM
I'm not a sufficient Josquin fan to want 34 CDs of his music, but the cover is so delicious I'm almost tempted!

Exactly the same thought I had :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

prémont

Quote from: "Harry" on July 19, 2021, 01:20:01 AM

Yes. I am going to pass it by, since I already own the parts of it, which interest me (some Dufay and Binchois eg.).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

André

9.99€ for 7 CDs at JPC. Includes La mer, Symphonie fantastique, Mahler 5, Sacre du printemps, Carmina Burana, Borodin 2, The Planets etc.

I'm no fan of Rattle and sound samples seem to reveal a clear but bassless sound. But it may be of interest to some. For those interested: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rhythm-colours/hnum/6365420

Jo498

The Rattle box seems rather boring (as far as repertoire goes). But if you click on "Boxen preiswert" (cheap boxes) there is a long list with some that might be more interesting for some listeners here. E.g. 13 discs of Richter's Carnegie Hall concertos 1960 for EUR 19.99
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vers la flamme

Quote from: Jo498 on July 20, 2021, 12:03:50 PM
The Rattle box seems rather boring (as far as repertoire goes). But if you click on "Boxen preiswert" (cheap boxes) there is a long list with some that might be more interesting for some listeners here. E.g. 13 discs of Richter's Carnegie Hall concertos 1960 for EUR 19.99

Also 30 discs of Verdi for 20 euros. Very tempting...:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Giuseppe-Verdi-1813-1901-Great-Recordings/hnum/3357094?lang=en

André

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on July 20, 2021, 03:30:12 PM
I received it today. It's a nice, sturdy box, not a flimsy affair. Quite the bargain !

Several of those old RCA Italia Opera recordings are genuine classics - I'd buy anything with Anna Moffo.  And the famous Trovatore with the young Mehta is an absolute classic even if there are issues with tape distortion....

Traverso

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 19, 2021, 03:56:45 AM
Yes. I am going to pass it by, since I already own the parts of it, which interest me (some Dufay and Binchois eg.).

The same here,it is a fine collection but the interesting parts I aleady have.

Martin H

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 20, 2021, 11:27:53 PM
Several of those old RCA Italia Opera recordings are genuine classics - I'd buy anything with Anna Moffo.  And the famous Trovatore with the young Mehta is an absolute classic even if there are issues with tape distortion....

I'd really agree. I haven't got that box but have steadily acquired almost all the complete operas they include. That Trovatore is my absolute favourite, while the Schippers/Ernani, Levine/Vespri and the Macbeth, Luisa Miller etc take an awful lot to beat.

Big David

Quote from: André on July 20, 2021, 03:30:12 PM
I received it today. It's a nice, sturdy box, not a flimsy affair. Quite the bargain !

Does the box include librettos?  I imagine not at this price but it might influence my buying decision!

André

Quote from: Big David on August 26, 2021, 12:23:36 AM
Does the box include librettos?  I imagine not at this price but it might influence my buying decision!

No librettos.

Big David

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: "Harry" on July 19, 2021, 01:20:01 AM

:P =me

Mookalafalas

Quote from: deprofundis on September 01, 2021, 03:47:50 PM
:P =me

If that signifies great interest and excitement--I agree. 
     BUT, I moved to Japan recently and have neither space nor the time (like I used to have) to listen.  VERY tempting, even though... The price in Japan is even a bit cheaper ???
It's all good...

Brian

Per Europadisc, Naxos is significantly raising its suggested retail price in October and this month is effectively "last call" on current Naxos prices. Europadisc is doing a big sale on Naxos recordings now so if you have anything on your wishlist, buy buy buy.

Full explanation: "Unfortunately, Naxos will be increasing their prices significantly from 29 September 2021. We will be continuing our discount sale right through to 14 November, but the discounts will have to apply to the new standard prices from 29 September onwards. We suggest taking advantage of the September prices while you can!

"(for reference, our current standard price of £7.65 for most single Naxos CDs will be increasing to £10.76 from 29 September - an increase of approximately 40%)"

Individual CDs are as low as US $3.69 for Rawsthorne and Alwyn symphonies and Bax chamber music.

Carlo Gesualdo

Kinds folks of GmG lady and gentlemen I made an incredible purchases a double  early and late renaissance, yep on ARCHIVE PRODUCTION germany, for 10$ both , I know how to negotiate yah know...

:P

Early era german or of der renaissance musik, wow , danke u, Conrad Pauman and of late renaissance don't know at all it's a suprise?

???  :laugh: 0:)

Brian

Hmmm, Amazon US price on the Bruno Walter Big Box is down from $149 to $126...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: deprofundis on September 05, 2021, 05:56:03 PM
Kinds folks of GmG lady and gentlemen I made an incredible purchases a double  early and late renaissance, yep on ARCHIVE PRODUCTION germany, for 10$ both , I know how to negotiate yah know...

:P

Early era german or of der renaissance musik, wow , danke u, Conrad Pauman and of late renaissance don't know at all it's a suprise?

???  :laugh: 0:)
Glad that you managed to negotiate a good bargain.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter