The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on September 08, 2021, 04:05:32 AM
Enjoying music is more dependent on a person's sensitivity than the cost of the equipment used.  :)

One visit to the Steve Hoffman forum and one wouldn't be so sure of this, Jan. :)

Irons

Quote from: Traverso on September 08, 2021, 04:05:32 AM
Enjoying music is more dependent on a person's sensitivity than the cost of the equipment used.  :)

But if, for example, my "sensitivity" is not as acute as yours why should I not have a decent system at my disposal so as to enjoy music as much as you do?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2021, 06:17:49 AM
One visit to the Steve Hoffman forum and one wouldn't be so sure of this, Jan. :)

I'm staying away from these forums

I know someone who bought expensive speaker cables and claimed they were played in after half a year.  pf......... ???

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 07, 2021, 04:17:21 PM
I'm optimistic that those little round plastic things will be making a comeback.

Seems misplaced.  It is too early for nostalgia to bring the cd format back, and when it eventually does it would be as a niche product like vinyl is now for retro-hipsters.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on September 08, 2021, 06:33:54 AM

I know someone who bought expensive speaker cables and claimed they were played in after half a year.  pf......... ???

A good idea. They have a nice classical thread there, but the whole forum is so disorganized --- haphazardly laid-out. They have A LOT of members, too, but it's too bad none of them felt the need to complain about the poor layout of forum.

Pohjolas Daughter

"Played in" as in shot...as in no longer any good?  Or that it took (guessing "Him") him half a year to break them in---either of which I would say "Phooey!" to.  ::)

PD

DavidW

Well some expensive cables are so poorly designed that they offer worse performance than the cheapest! >:D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2021, 06:37:49 AM
A good idea. They have a nice classical thread there, but the whole forum is so disorganized --- haphazardly laid-out. They have A LOT of members, too, but it's too bad none of them felt the need to complain about the poor layout of forum.
I haven't been on there (just to read) in ages, but I do remember reading some interesting comments regarding record labels, pressings, etc.  :)

PD

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 08, 2021, 06:36:12 AM
Seems misplaced.  It is too early for nostalgia to bring the cd format back, and when it eventually does it would be as a niche product like vinyl is now for retro-hipsters.

Call it what you will, I'm still optimistic! And no amount of rain, will damper this parade. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2021, 06:42:39 AM
I haven't been on there (just to read) in ages, but I do remember reading some interesting comments regarding record labels, pressings, etc.  :)

PD

It's all they talk about. At one point, I chimed in on one of their threads and asked "Does anyone actually care about talking about the music they're listening to?"

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2021, 06:43:35 AM
Call it what you will, I'm still optimistic! And no amount of rain, will damper this parade. :)

I'm not even sure why you're so excited about cds if all you do is rip them and then put them away.  You could save yourself a whole lot of effort by just purchasing digital downloads.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 08, 2021, 06:48:58 AM
I'm not even sure why you're so excited about cds if all you do is rip them and then put them away.  You could save yourself a whole lot of effort by just purchasing digital downloads.

Because I like owning the physical product (i. e. hard copies). I have never understood the downloading craze nor will I understand the whole streaming phenomenon. I'm happy to live in my "ignorant bliss". :)

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2021, 06:17:49 AM
:laugh:
As prone as I am to wasting time on Internet fora, thank goodness I never visit the Hoffman forum!
Knock yourselves out. ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on September 08, 2021, 06:57:18 AM
:laugh:
As prone as I am to wasting time on Internet fora, thank goodness I never visit the Hoffman forum!
Knock yourselves out. ;D

I'm still a member there, but I don't post anymore. As I said, the classical thread they have there is quite good with lots of knowledgable people, but the lack of organization and the audiophile crazies have kept me from coming back.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2021, 06:59:58 AM
I'm still a member there, but I don't post anymore. As I said, the classical thread they have there is quite good with lots of knowledgable people, but the lack of organization and the audiophile crazies have kept me from coming back.

Were you posting here back when Teresa was an active member?  She was absolutely nuts about sacds and always liked to let us know!

Traverso

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2021, 06:41:05 AM
"Played in" as in shot...as in no longer any good?  Or that it took (guessing "Him") him half a year to break them in---either of which I would say "Phooey!" to.  ::)

PD

Only after using the speaker cable for half a year does it sound optimal.
How copper and silver characteristics changes and adapt, it's a wonderful world.  :)

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2021, 06:59:58 AM

OK, better than I thought. In my limited experience with SH forum (clicks based on Google search hits), I saw precious little musical discussion, just the nuttiness. I concluded the signal/noise ratio was too low to merit further exploration.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 08, 2021, 07:03:23 AM
Were you posting here back when Teresa was an active member?  She was absolutely nuts about sacds and always liked to let us know!

Are you comparing me with this member just because I said I like CDs? :-\

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on September 08, 2021, 07:08:24 AM
OK, better than I thought. In my limited experience with SH forum (clicks based on Google search hits), I saw precious little musical discussion, just the nuttiness. I concluded the signal/noise ratio was too low to merit further exploration.

People on the Steve Hoffman forum can have their fun talking about speaker cables, MiniDisc players, record players, etc. I'm happy to be here on GMG. I do post a good bit on Talk Classical now as it's much better than it used to be.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2021, 07:11:34 AM
People on the Steve Hoffman forum can have their fun talking about speaker cables, MiniDisc players, record players, etc. I'm happy to be here on GMG. I do post a good bit on Talk Classical now as it's much better than it used to be.

Maybe it's wise to detox yourself  to listen with clean ears.  :)