Author Topic: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread  (Read 1361442 times)

Offline Mapman

Re: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread
« Reply #7380 on: April 15, 2022, 04:45:14 PM »
The Gielen boxes are currently discounted at JPC.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #7381 on: April 15, 2022, 11:20:24 PM »
Also several boxes with Rosbaud/SWR that contain much rarer recordings (but AFAIS in rather drab 1950s broadcast mono).
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

DavidW

« Reply #7382 on: April 16, 2022, 04:08:49 AM »
The Gielen boxes are currently discounted at JPC.

Nice find!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7384 on: May 06, 2022, 05:15:21 PM »

$8.99 for 16/44.1, $12.99 for 24/96 at Qobuz.

Also, Qobuz has the entire Naxos catalog at 50% off.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Bach, Debussy, etc
« Reply #7385 on: June 09, 2022, 01:43:10 AM »
For some crazy reason Amazon.co.uk has the big Bruno Walter box for about $100 (after vat is removed), and a similar price for the big Bohm orchestral box.
It's all good...

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #7386 on: June 10, 2022, 12:58:56 PM »
Debatable but worth mentioning:

Berkshire has 5 of the 6 2-CD Leiden Choirbooks (Egidius Quartet on Etcetera) volumes (A, B, C, E and F) for $11.98 apiece. Pity they're lacking D. I already own the full set.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
« Reply #7387 on: June 12, 2022, 12:38:12 AM »
For some crazy reason Amazon.co.uk has the big Bruno Walter box for about $100 (after vat is removed), and a similar price for the big Bohm orchestral box.

That was short. Prices up to about $240US now.
It's all good...

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #7388 on: June 13, 2022, 11:17:56 PM »
The Brilliant 23-cd box of the César Franck edition lowest price is  $46.19
take off another 10% until June 21
https://www.importcds.com/cesar-franck-edition/5028421957937
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
« Reply #7389 on: June 15, 2022, 03:03:21 AM »
For those who regret not getting it, Amazon.de has the Bach 333 box for both $270 and $540.  It seems to be the same box, although the cheaper one may have German labeling rather than English....
It's all good...

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's Twitter
« Reply #7390 on: July 16, 2022, 02:54:32 PM »
If you're in the market for Alan Gilbert's Nielsen symphonies 5 and 6, but not 1-4, the single SACD is at Presto for only $5 US. There are a number of other Dacapo albums for $5 to $5.50, including a lot of contemporary repertoire and individual volumes of various Holmboe, Riisager, Koppel, and Mozart (Adam Fischer) cycles.

Offline Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #7391 on: July 19, 2022, 04:49:47 AM »
Bernstein's Columbia/Sony Mahler cycle as a lossless download for $13 at Presto.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8007147--the-complete-mahler-symphonies

Offline absolutelybaching

• Veteran member
  • Enjoying anything from Altnickol to Zemlinsky
    • Absolutely Baching
« Reply #7392 on: August 03, 2022, 02:38:55 AM »
Bernstein's Columbia/Sony Mahler cycle as a lossless download for $13 at Presto.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8007147--the-complete-mahler-symphonies

Weird! Explain how a set of 12 physical CDs can be had for £34.50, but a set of digital FLACs can only be had for £69!
Are they in need of extra warehouse shelf space or something‽
I occasionally find Amazon selling a hardback book for less than the cost of a Kindle download... the economics of it all leave me somewhat bewildered :)
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. (Benjamin Britten)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's Twitter
« Reply #7393 on: August 03, 2022, 05:23:35 AM »
Weird! Explain how a set of 12 physical CDs can be had for £34.50, but a set of digital FLACs can only be had for £69!
Are they in need of extra warehouse shelf space or something‽
Yes  :(

Part of the reason that I buy downloads sometimes now is I realized there is value in the physical space that is taken up. There's value for the retailers, which is why Presto's Summer Sale on now has a lot of physical CDs available for cheaper than the download versions. And there is also value for me, living in a house of a certain size that cost a certain amount of money. The most extreme example of the monetary value of the space that CDs take up was about a decade ago, when I think Harry actually expanded his house to fit more music in it.

Offline Harry

• Veteran member
« Reply #7394 on: August 03, 2022, 05:26:37 AM »
Yes  :(

Part of the reason that I buy downloads sometimes now is I realized there is value in the physical space that is taken up. There's value for the retailers, which is why Presto's Summer Sale on now has a lot of physical CDs available for cheaper than the download versions. And there is also value for me, living in a house of a certain size that cost a certain amount of money. The most extreme example of the monetary value of the space that CDs take up was about a decade ago, when I think Harry actually expanded his house to fit more music in it.

That is really true, I did, after this move I never need a change of house again.... ::)
Be kind, be friendly, but above all be human in a positive way.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7395 on: August 03, 2022, 06:56:09 AM »
Part of the reason that I buy downloads sometimes now is I realized there is value in the physical space that is taken up. There's value for the retailers, which is why Presto's Summer Sale on now has a lot of physical CDs available for cheaper than the download versions. And there is also value for me, living in a house of a certain size that cost a certain amount of money.

I wonder if anyone actively factors in environmental costs as well.  Physical production and shipping leaves a larger carbon footprint than streaming or downloading.  Music consumption offers a case where one can consume as much as or more than before at a lower total cost. 

Offline DavidW

« Reply #7396 on: August 03, 2022, 02:45:00 PM »

I don't understand where you're getting these numbers from.  The flac set is $13 and the cd set is $39.25.

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #7397 on: August 03, 2022, 11:20:19 PM »
Haven't checked, but prices can vary a lot between various countries.

I don't use Amazon much these days, but before, and since I'm based in the EU, I'd always check both British, German, French, Italian and Spanish Amazon for current prices, before buying physical CDs. We've had mentionings of different prices for downloads too before, especially between continents, as far as I remember even from Presto.

I almost only buy second-hand CDs and from JPC these days, and only physical CDs. When browsing, there's not much music I feel I'm really missing in my collection, however.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:22:08 PM by MusicTurner »

Offline Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #7398 on: August 04, 2022, 02:48:03 AM »
I don't understand where you're getting these numbers from.  The flac set is $13 and the cd set is $39.25.

Does Presto have different prices for different countries?

There are bizarre pricing anomalies on Presto. Presto will generally allow you to download a single track, or a single piece from a CD. It is not uncommon to come across a case where they charge more for downloading an individual work than to download the CD in its entirety.

Offline absolutelybaching

• Veteran member
  • Enjoying anything from Altnickol to Zemlinsky
    • Absolutely Baching
« Reply #7399 on: August 04, 2022, 05:56:36 AM »

I'm getting these numbers from the link that was included in the post I was replying to. Specifically, see below. Price of the CDs: £35; price of the FLACs: £69. Even the MP3s (shudder!) are more expensive than the physical product.

I realise I'm now (and was!) talking pounds Sterling; you're clearly talking left-pondian dollars. I assume Presto does geolocation magic and directs me to the bonkersly-priced UK site, and you to the much more sensible US version. Presumably shelves are bigger in the US and therefore the need to free up some shelf-space in the UK is more pressing.

Or something…

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 06:00:03 AM by absolutelybaching »
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. (Benjamin Britten)