The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapman

The Gielen boxes are currently discounted at JPC.

Jo498

Also several boxes with Rosbaud/SWR that contain much rarer recordings (but AFAIS in rather drab 1950s broadcast mono).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

DavidW

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

$8.99 for 16/44.1, $12.99 for 24/96 at Qobuz.

Also, Qobuz has the entire Naxos catalog at 50% off.

Mookalafalas

For some crazy reason Amazon.co.uk has the big Bruno Walter box for about $100 (after vat is removed), and a similar price for the big Bohm orchestral box.
It's all good...

T. D.

Debatable but worth mentioning:

Berkshire has 5 of the 6 2-CD Leiden Choirbooks (Egidius Quartet on Etcetera) volumes (A, B, C, E and F) for $11.98 apiece. Pity they're lacking D. I already own the full set.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 09, 2022, 02:43:10 AM
For some crazy reason Amazon.co.uk has the big Bruno Walter box for about $100 (after vat is removed), and a similar price for the big Bohm orchestral box.

That was short. Prices up to about $240US now.
It's all good...

listener

The Brilliant 23-cd box of the César Franck edition lowest price is  $46.19
take off another 10% until June 21
https://www.importcds.com/cesar-franck-edition/5028421957937
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mookalafalas

For those who regret not getting it, Amazon.de has the Bach 333 box for both $270 and $540.  It seems to be the same box, although the cheaper one may have German labeling rather than English....
It's all good...

Brian

If you're in the market for Alan Gilbert's Nielsen symphonies 5 and 6, but not 1-4, the single SACD is at Presto for only $5 US. There are a number of other Dacapo albums for $5 to $5.50, including a lot of contemporary repertoire and individual volumes of various Holmboe, Riisager, Koppel, and Mozart (Adam Fischer) cycles.

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 03, 2022, 03:38:55 AM
Weird! Explain how a set of 12 physical CDs can be had for £34.50, but a set of digital FLACs can only be had for £69!
Are they in need of extra warehouse shelf space or something‽
Yes  :(

Part of the reason that I buy downloads sometimes now is I realized there is value in the physical space that is taken up. There's value for the retailers, which is why Presto's Summer Sale on now has a lot of physical CDs available for cheaper than the download versions. And there is also value for me, living in a house of a certain size that cost a certain amount of money. The most extreme example of the monetary value of the space that CDs take up was about a decade ago, when I think Harry actually expanded his house to fit more music in it.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on August 03, 2022, 06:23:35 AM
Yes  :(

Part of the reason that I buy downloads sometimes now is I realized there is value in the physical space that is taken up. There's value for the retailers, which is why Presto's Summer Sale on now has a lot of physical CDs available for cheaper than the download versions. And there is also value for me, living in a house of a certain size that cost a certain amount of money. The most extreme example of the monetary value of the space that CDs take up was about a decade ago, when I think Harry actually expanded his house to fit more music in it.

That is really true, I did, after this move I never need a change of house again.... ::)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 03, 2022, 06:23:35 AMPart of the reason that I buy downloads sometimes now is I realized there is value in the physical space that is taken up. There's value for the retailers, which is why Presto's Summer Sale on now has a lot of physical CDs available for cheaper than the download versions. And there is also value for me, living in a house of a certain size that cost a certain amount of money.

I wonder if anyone actively factors in environmental costs as well.  Physical production and shipping leaves a larger carbon footprint than streaming or downloading.  Music consumption offers a case where one can consume as much as or more than before at a lower total cost. 

DavidW

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 03, 2022, 03:38:55 AM
Weird! Explain how a set of 12 physical CDs can be had for £34.50, but a set of digital FLACs can only be had for £69!

I don't understand where you're getting these numbers from.  The flac set is $13 and the cd set is $39.25.

MusicTurner

Haven't checked, but prices can vary a lot between various countries.

I don't use Amazon much these days, but before, and since I'm based in the EU, I'd always check both British, German, French, Italian and Spanish Amazon for current prices, before buying physical CDs. We've had mentionings of different prices for downloads too before, especially between continents, as far as I remember even from Presto.

I almost only buy second-hand CDs and from JPC these days, and only physical CDs. When browsing, there's not much music I feel I'm really missing in my collection, however.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on August 03, 2022, 03:45:00 PM
I don't understand where you're getting these numbers from.  The flac set is $13 and the cd set is $39.25.

Does Presto have different prices for different countries?

There are bizarre pricing anomalies on Presto. Presto will generally allow you to download a single track, or a single piece from a CD. It is not uncommon to come across a case where they charge more for downloading an individual work than to download the CD in its entirety.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Presto US pricing shows the price without VAT
Is it possible that (for UK prices) VAT for physical CDs and VAT for DLs have different rates/different tax treatment?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Roasted Swan

Presto are currently offering the Naxos catalogue hi-res downloads at £3.95.  Given that the equivalent CD is now £10.00 and (theoretically!) this hi-res should be a better audio quality that is quite a good offer and as a consequence I have picked up some Naxos recordings out of curiosity in the way I used to when they were a genuine "bargain" label....