The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 08:56:30 AM
Wow!! Consider that one bought! Is it the complete cycle?
Yes. Also includes the Adagio of #10. Oh, and Das Lied, too. :)
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//3402382.htm
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 08:56:30 AM
Wow!! Consider that one bought! Is it the complete cycle?

It's my favorite cycle (well tied with Gielen, but it's not as harshly modernistic as Gielen), buy with confidence. :)

George

Quote from: DavidW on January 28, 2009, 09:01:56 AM
It's my favorite cycle (well tied with Gielen, but it's not as harshly modernistic as Gielen), buy with confidence. :)

Cool, so Bertini is not conservative?

George

Quote from: opus67 on January 28, 2009, 08:58:43 AM
Yes. Also includes the Adagio of #10. Oh, and Das Lied, too. :)
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//3402382.htm

Thanks!

I shall buy it later today after work! My first Mahler cycle.  0:)

DavidW

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 09:05:27 AM
Cool, so Bertini is not conservative?

He's not excessively romantic, his performances are dramatic, instead of melodramatic.  Many Mahlerites prefer histrionic performances, and would probably pass on Bertini.  So just keep that in mind. ;D

George

Quote from: DavidW on January 28, 2009, 09:16:23 AM
He's not excessively romantic, his performances are dramatic, instead of melodramatic.  Many Mahlerites prefer histrionic performances, and would probably pass on Bertini.  So just keep that in mind. ;D

Good info, thanks!

I'm guessing he's something like Barbirolli? 

Lethevich

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 09:29:13 AM
I'm guessing he's something like Barbirolli? 

He is often (rightly) compared to Kubelik, but Neumann is an apt comparison as well. Barbirolli (from the 5th I heard) is a bit more interventionist... Sorry for butting in 0:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

George

Quote from: Lethe on January 28, 2009, 09:39:59 AM
He is often (rightly) compared to Kubelik, but Neumann is an apt comparison as well. Barbirolli (from the 5th I heard) is a bit more interventionist... Sorry for butting in 0:)

No problem. Thanks! 

DavidW

Quote from: Lethe on January 28, 2009, 09:39:59 AM

Yeah that sounds right. :) 

George

So if I really dig Barbirolli and don't like Abbaddo very much, will Bertini likely be a good match for me?

Renfield

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 09:46:23 AM
So if I really dig Barbirolli and don't like Abbaddo very much, will Bertini likely be a good match for me?

Yep. :)

George

Quote from: Renfield on January 28, 2009, 09:53:59 AM
Yep. :)

Sweet!!

Bertini's must have nice sound too, being recorded in the 80s, unless it's an early digital recording.  :-\

Lethevich

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 09:58:02 AM
Bertini's must have nice sound too, being recorded in the 80s, unless it's an early digital recording.  :-\

It does sound incredible next to much of the competition, most of which was recorded a lot earlier. Despite the issues with some 80s recordings (Neumann's cycle somewhat included in this, IIRC, although not badly), this one has no sonic problems and the good and quite natural sounding recorded quality tends to be mentioned a lot in reviews.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

George

Quote from: Lethe on January 28, 2009, 10:03:41 AM
It does sound incredible next to much of the competition, most of which was recorded a lot earlier. Despite the issues with some 80s recordings (Neumann's cycle somewhat included in this, IIRC, although not badly), this one has no sonic problems and the good and quite natural sounding recorded quality tends to be mentioned a lot in reviews.

Ooohh!! This is sounding better and better...

jwinter

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 09:58:02 AM

Sweet!!

The sound is excellent, I wouldn't worry on that front unless you demand something truly SACD state-of-the-art to wear out your speakers.

Performance-wise, I have quite a few Mahler cycles, and I'd rank Bertini near the top.  His may well be the most consistent cycle I've heard, not a bad performance in the bunch.  At that price, jump on it.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

George

Quote from: jwinter on January 28, 2009, 10:11:05 AM
Performance-wise, I have quite a few Mahler cycles, and I'd rank Bertini near the top.  His may well be the most consistent cycle I've heard, not a bad performance in the bunch.  At that price, jump on it.

Yeah, baby!  :)

eyeresist

A quick note of dissent: I find Bertini's tempos can drag a bit, and occasionally the orchestra is revealed to be less that top-flight. Not sure about "most consistent cycle" - frmo what I've heard I'd probably nominate the Tennstedt, though it certainly doesn't compare for sound quality.

DavidW

Quote from: eyeresist on January 28, 2009, 05:37:49 PM
A quick note of dissent: I find Bertini's tempos can drag a bit, and occasionally the orchestra is revealed to be less that top-flight. Not sure about "most consistent cycle" - frmo what I've heard I'd probably nominate the Tennstedt, though it certainly doesn't compare for sound quality.

Tennstedt is only a notable for a decent 8th.

Renfield

Quote from: DavidW on January 28, 2009, 06:56:26 PM
Tennstedt is only a notable for a decent 8th.

Not quite.

A superb live 1st with the CSO, a very good live 5th with the LPO; a beautiful 4th and solid (if not groundbreaking) 2nd from that box set...

A phenomenal live 7th with the LPO, as well; and also one of the best 8ths on record (in the box set), far beyond "decent" IMO.

Not to mention the live 8th on DVD, which is actually better than that already-great studio version.

Even if with "Tennstedt" you meant "the Tennstedt box set", the 2nd (as I mentioned above), the 3rd, the 5th and the 7th are solid, the 9th is capable, the 4th is great, and the 8th is exceptional - again in my opinion, of course. My general point being: why dismiss Tenstedt?

eyeresist

Quote from: Renfield on January 28, 2009, 07:26:35 PM
Even if with "Tennstedt" you meant "the Tennstedt box set", the 2nd (as I mentioned above), the 3rd, the 5th and the 7th are solid, the 9th is capable, the 4th is great, and the 8th is exceptional - again in my opinion, of course. My general point being: why dismiss Tenstedt?
IMO the 2nd and 6th are the least of the boxset, but this is partly because the master lacks the heft these works above all others require. The 6th is interesting in that its approach is more "symphonic" than "dramatic". 3rd is regarded as a benchmark, the 4th is magic (can't go wrong with Popp for this symphony), and this recording of the 7th "revealed" the work to me for the first time.