The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on April 17, 2009, 11:51:34 AM
Not sure if folk here are aware of the Handel half-price sale at Hyperion? Their box sets (mostly 2CDs) of Handel are available post free at half price, plus an extra 10% discount if you spend more than £20. (And even more discount if you keep on buying - which I didn't, since I thought I'd quite like to eat again before the end of the month).

When I stumbled across their sale today, I helped myself to the following, for a total of about £24:

and

Here's the link:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1019

I think MDT only offered the half-price deal to its UK customers ...    :(

Coopmv

Quote from: opus67 on May 31, 2009, 09:50:51 AM
Karajan's Bruckner cycle -- DGG, of course -- for 28 Euros.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Anton-Bruckner-Symphonien-Nr-1-9/hnum/1827058

Assuming the Germans follow the right way of writing dates, this should be out in a little over a month's time.

I bought this mammoth set, which I have yet to play.  The set already includes all the Karajan Bruckner Symphonies ...

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on May 31, 2009, 10:28:23 AM

Have you tried checking out the Hyperion website directly? I haven't seen any obvious statement that the halfprice Handel sale is UK only (the sale is currently on again), though it might say so in some small print somewhere.

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on May 31, 2009, 11:58:27 AM
Have you tried checking out the Hyperion website directly? I haven't seen any obvious statement that the halfprice Handel sale is UK only (the sale is currently on again), though it might say so in some small print somewhere.

No, I have not checked out the Hyperion website directly.  I have ONLY been buying from MDT.  I have heard that between the global recession and the loss of a copyright lawsuit that caused Hyperion some significant financial damage, the company really needs to boost sales any which way it can ... 

Opus106

Quote from: opus67 on May 31, 2009, 09:50:51 AM
Karajan's Bruckner cycle -- DGG, of course -- for 28 Euros.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Anton-Bruckner-Symphonien-Nr-1-9/hnum/1827058

Assuming the Germans follow the right way of writing dates, this should be out in a little over a month's time.

Oh, never mind. I just noticed that it's been available at Amazon.com for more or less the same price for some months.
http://www.amazon.com/Symphonies-1-9-Box-Bruckner/dp/B001DCQI8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1243803709&sr=1-1
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: opus67 on May 31, 2009, 01:07:12 PM
Oh, never mind. I just noticed that it's been available at Amazon.com for more or less the same price for some months.
http://www.amazon.com/Symphonies-1-9-Box-Bruckner/dp/B001DCQI8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1243803709&sr=1-1

I still get a better deal with the Karajan Symphony Edition since I get all the Bruckner Symphonies plus a few of the Haydn Symphonies I have been having a hard time finding at a reasonable price.  I will just put up with the other duplicates.

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on May 31, 2009, 10:28:23 AM
No. At least to Norway they did....

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on June 01, 2009, 09:08:19 AM
No. At least to Norway they did....

I went straight to the Hyperion website yesterday and really did not notice any half price promotion.    ???

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on June 01, 2009, 05:16:33 PM
I went straight to the Hyperion website yesterday and really did not notice any half price promotion.    ???

You have to click on "Current Offers", then you'll see "Half-Price Handel".  About 12 Oratorios and Operas are listed.  Might be a good time to investigate the operas.

Scarpia

I feel guilty admitting that I got the Aeolian Quartet, complete Haydn set (22 CDs) new for $45 from an Amazon Marketplace seller.  When I heard the set was coming out I was patrolling it daily and snagged it.  Now I'm afraid it seems the best offer is $125.   :'(

Another sad fact is that the British pound is up to $1.65 (from $1.50 a few weeks ago).  Bargains from MDT are not as attractive as before.  Damn Obama!

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on June 01, 2009, 06:49:48 PM
You have to click on "Current Offers", then you'll see "Half-Price Handel".  About 12 Oratorios and Operas are listed.  Might be a good time to investigate the operas.

Thanks, I just checked.  It turned out I have already picked up all those CD's from MDT at pretty much the same price.  I think I am a bit maxed out on these (lesser-known) oratorios for now.

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on June 01, 2009, 05:16:33 PM
That's because it ended about a week ago.

Elgarian

Quote from: erato on June 01, 2009, 11:13:17 PM
That's because it ended about a week ago.

I thought the Hyperion half-price Handel sale had ended too, but either it never did, or they've started it up again. Here it is:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1019

Novi

Van Immerseel's Beethoven Symphonies for a crazy £7.31 here.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Que

Quote from: Novi on July 17, 2009, 11:00:21 PM

I just ordered it. Many thanks, Novi!!! :)

Q

Wanderer

Quote from: Que on July 17, 2009, 11:13:26 PM
I just ordered it. Many thanks, Novi!!! :)

Me too. Thanks for letting us know!  8)

Opus106

w00t-alicious! The offer must have started today, since I didn't see it yesterday. Thanks a bunch for the alert.
Regards,
Navneeth

Elgarian

They must have sold a lot during the day - the price is up to £11.70 now. Wish I'd spotted this earlier! Still a great bargain though.

Brian

Quote from: Elgarian on July 18, 2009, 11:00:10 AM
They must have sold a lot during the day - the price is up to £11.70 now. Wish I'd spotted this earlier! Still a great bargain though.
Yep, price has gone considerably up. Darn  :(  Still a bargain, but I'm hesitating...

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on July 18, 2009, 05:39:14 PM
Yep, price has gone considerably up. Darn  :(  Still a bargain, but I'm hesitating...

I see what you mean, Brian - £17.55 this morning. Do they have some automatic system that increases the price by a small amount every time someone buys one? Must be something like that - I don't imagine some chap has been sitting there all night deciding what the price should be for the next hour. Clever ploy - only the first few sets get given away, then as the word gets around, more and more buy at the progressively higher (but still bargain) price. And if we're tempted we have to decide fast - because the price keeps going up. Ooh. Almost painful to think about.