The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ammar

...and whilst you're on Amazon.fr, why not pick up the 70 CD EMI / Callas complete studio recordings 1949 - 1969 for 30 euros ?

http://www.amazon.fr/Maria-Callas-LIntégrale-enregistrements-1949-1969/dp/B000TIO4Z0/

or, if you haven't already partaken, for 42 euros you can get :

http://www.amazon.fr/Mozart-LIntégrale-en-170-CD/dp/B000A0HFZS/

Brian

Wow, ammar, that's amazing!!  :o :o
Thanks to your links I've discovered that, between Abeille Musique and Amazon.fr, I can order the complete works of Brahms, Mozart, AND Chopin (Chopin in double: modern and historical recordings) - all for US $144. And the Brilliant Historic Russian Archives 100 cd box is $90 more.

Somebody talk me out of buying all of that!  :o

Grazioso

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2009, 07:56:48 PM
Thanks to your links I've discovered that, between Abeille Musique and Amazon.fr, I can order the complete works of Brahms, Mozart, AND Chopin (Chopin in double: modern and historical recordings) - all for US $144. And the Brilliant Historic Russian Archives 100 cd box is $90 more.

Well, if you want to be talked out of it--but into something else :)--consider this complete Brahms edition from DG, which can be had cheaply if you hunt around:

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2009, 07:56:48 PM

If you're really into this one-stop bulk buying then there's no stopping you. :) But it's never exactly been my preferred way to collect music (I do of course own boxes).

It's been mainly the slow lane of collecting for me, cultivating a collectors' mentality that puts more emphasis on research and exploration than instant gratification.

But NOT necessarily because I'm more "erudite" than anyone else. 8) It's just that I've been burned by substandard (or downright poor) performances more times than I'd care to recollect which leaves the bitterest taste in my collecting mouth. Not to mention it's money wasted.

So lots of lessons learned.

And lesson number one is "don't go for the home run every time no matter how alluring the prize might seem". Because despite the perceived price advantage the performances might not be up to snuff which means the meager outlay is still money wasted. Yes, I may have everything by composer X but if it's not listenable what's the point?

The downside to all this of course is I don't get everything all at once. But savoring a single imported chocolate candy can be just as fulfilling as eating an entire bag of Tootsie Rolls. 

(And yes, the bottom line has ALWAYS been important to me. "Cultivating" a collectors' mentality also means sniffing out the bargains. The two aren't mutually exclusive!).
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ammar

Bottom line - don't buy the Brahms Brilliant set and expect to get definitive performances of the symphonies, chamber music, etc. 8)

Grazioso - I remember seeing the DG set for 40 euros either on JPC or Amazon.de a while back, failed to 'pull the trigger' and now it's back up to 65 euros; I'd be grateful if you could direct me to your cheap source.

Don - I'm in general agreement & I would never suggest that a beginner start with any of these 'complete works' sets. That being said, a number of what I previously regarded as reference recordings have been matched/superseded by the contents of the Mozart Brilliant set. These complete issues also have their uses in unearthing previously hidden areas of repertoire (eg Haydn's Baryton Trios). Since this thread is ultimately about saving money, please feel free to warn us against purchasing any specific sets that you consider 'turkeys'

Just to keep us on topic , I think the set of Schubert Piano Sonatas by Uchida for £14 counts as a super-bargain (although I know she's a pianist that people have strong opinions about) :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000654OUG/

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: ammar on November 03, 2009, 11:09:26 AM
Since this thread is ultimately about saving money, please feel free to warn us against purchasing any specific sets that you consider 'turkeys'.

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, ammar, but I'm just one cog in the GMG wheel where no one opinion rules all others. Some try, though! ;D

But since Brian seemed anxious for someone to splash him with some cold water I felt obliged to give it a try...what he does with my two cents is up to him... :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Wanderer

Quote from: Grazioso on November 03, 2009, 02:45:07 AM
Well, if you want to be talked out of it--but into something else :)--consider this complete Brahms edition from DG, which can be had cheaply if you hunt around:

Oh yes, that's absolutely worth your while.

ammar

Quote from: Harry on November 03, 2009, 11:55:58 PM
This I think is a bargain!

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/The-Sixteen-The-Golden-Age-of-English-Polyphony/hnum/6575950

I absolutely agree, I've had my eye on it since it came out. I see that it's included in the box set promotion that Hyperion are carrying out for the month of November - 20% off their largest box sets, all the bulk buying discounts still apply & free delivery (at least in the UK) :

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1022

I'm mulling over the 40 CD Schubert song set as we speak  :-\

Opus106

Quote from: ammar on November 04, 2009, 02:29:43 AM
I absolutely agree, I've had my eye on it since it came out. I see that it's included in the box set promotion that Hyperion are carrying out for the month of November - 20% off their largest box sets, all the bulk buying discounts still apply & free delivery (at least in the UK) :

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/o.asp?o=1022

I'm mulling over the 40 CD Schubert song set as we speak  :-\

Hyperion's boxes work out cheaper at Presto Classical's box sets offer.
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/boxsets.php?k=11&w=Hyperion&page=1

And those in the U.K. get to pay a flat shipping fee for any order.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 03, 2009, 07:41:46 PM
.....But since Brian seemed anxious for someone to splash him with some cold water I felt obliged to give it a try...what he does with my two cents is up to him... :)

My guess? He'll apply it to the S & H..... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

ammar

Well at Presto I see the Schubert set for £140. It's listed as £144 on Hyperion's own site, but factor in the 25% discount for orders over £60 and it works out at £108. I don't see the Golden Age / Harry Christophers set listed on Presto either.

(not to mention the warm glow you get from directly supporting an independent record label :))

Opus106

Ah, I didn't take into account their all-year-'round discount. :)

Quote from: ammar on November 04, 2009, 05:10:27 AM
(not to mention the warm glow you get from directly supporting an independent record label :))

Well then, that decides it. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Frellie

I'm not sure about the Super-Duperness of this bargain, but I'm surely very happy with the appearance of this box (five cd's for the price of two!).

And what a Beethoven-cycle this is! A must-have, a must-listen, a must-admire, as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-SACD-1825-26

P.S. Just found out jpc.de sells the box for 35 eurobucks. Nice.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Ludwig-van-Beethoven-Symphonien-Nr-1-9/hnum/3675173

Renfield

Quote from: Frellie on November 04, 2009, 06:24:23 AM
I'm not sure about the Super-Duperness of this bargain, but I'm surely very happy with the appearance of this box (five cd's for the price of two!).

And what a Beethoven-cycle this is! A must-have, a must-listen, a must-admire, as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-SACD-1825-26

Indeed! And if you'll excuse the marketing-talk, at £16.60 plus tax (£19.09 for us here), at MDT, there's no excuse. 8) ;)

Opus106

Quote from: Frellie on November 04, 2009, 06:24:23 AM
(five cd's for the price of two!).

I chuckle every time I see one of BIS's "promotional statements." ;D Obviously, my idea of price of one is completely different from theirs.
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Quote from: ammar on November 04, 2009, 05:10:27 AM
Well at Presto I see the Schubert set for £140. It's listed as £144 on Hyperion's own site, but factor in the 25% discount for orders over £60 and it works out at £108. I don't see the Golden Age / Harry Christophers set listed on Presto either.

Run, don't walk. If you're a Schubert fan, that is every bit as much of a steal as Brilliant Classics' boxes - it's simply not being given away, and nor should it be :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dancing Divertimentian

Franco

I bought the Hyperion Schubert Lieder series individually, at probably over three times that cost.  I also bought 7 or so of the Schumann set, and they've finsihed at 11, so I guess I'll get those remaining ones and compete that set - at full price as well.

:-\

ammar

Quote from: Lethe on November 04, 2009, 07:59:41 AM
Run, don't walk. If you're a Schubert fan, that is every bit as much of a steal as Brilliant Classics' boxes - it's simply not being given away, and nor should it be :)

Yes, this is the same sort of 'super-bargain' as BIS reissuing the Suzuki Bach Cantatas, as mentioned earlier in the thread. We are indeed fortunate that such towering achievements can be had for such a relatively meagre outlay.

Franco - commiserations, but be thankful that you weren't chasing down the individual Marcelle Meyer issues when EMI decided to reissue her complete recordings in a 17CD budget edition (I've seen some of her 'Introuvables' deletions fetch a ridiculous price on eBay).

(That's a great deal as well for Vanska's Beethoven from MDT, by the way)

Bankruptcy here I come... :D