The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: erato on November 24, 2009, 11:35:29 AM
So that means that they are smarter than Hatto's husband?

I thought that he did try to disguise his forgeries?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on November 24, 2009, 11:32:14 AM
I think the reason they remaster the CDs is to disguise the source that they are stealing from.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. Or they're just inept with little of the state-of-the-art equipment needed to do an adequate job. Probably lots of variables...
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

The new erato

Quote from: George on November 24, 2009, 11:46:37 AM
I thought that he did try to disguise his forgeries?
Yes but he didn't succed. No revelations about Document's eventual scam as of yet anyway.

Antoine Marchand

I do not know the legal status of the recordings re-released by Documents, but in almost every legal system it is a calumny to impute "theft" or "robbery" to somebody if you do not have proofs to support your sayings. Besides, it is necessary to recall that some old recordings can be in the public domain; therefore, it does not exist something like theft, when you use those recordings. I do not know if it is the case with Documents. Finally, I am not a fan of historical recordings, but I have the Walcha's set on Documents and, I must say, it is -even sonically- an excellent box set.  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 24, 2009, 03:44:11 PM
I do not know the legal status of the recordings re-released by Documents, but in almost every legal system it is a calumny to impute "theft" or "robbery" to somebody if you do not have proofs to support your sayings. Besides, it is necessary to recall that some old recordings can be in the public domain; therefore, it does not exist something like theft, when you use those recordings. I do not know if it is the case with Documents. Finally, I am not a fan of historical recordings, but I have the Walcha's set on Documents and, I must say, it is -even sonically- an excellent box set.  :)

Have you read about the Brazilian government wanted to manufacture drugs whose patents are owned by US pharmaceutical companies?  I was outraged when I read such news.  How about piracy in China where 90% of its PC's run illegal copies of MS OS only a few years ago ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on November 24, 2009, 06:08:22 PM
Have you read about the Brazilian government wanted to manufacture drugs whose patents are owned by US pharmaceutical companies?  I was outraged when I read such news.  How about piracy in China where 90% of its PC's run illegal copies of MS OS only a few years ago ...

Yep, piracy exists, everybody knows that, no? But as any other crime, it must be proved. Mere unfounded suspicions or assertions are not enough.

Renfield

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 24, 2009, 03:44:11 PM
Finally, I am not a fan of historical recordings, but I have the Walcha's set on Documents and, I must say, it is -even sonically- an excellent box set.  :)

The question is, though, have you compared it to its official DG release? :)

There really isn't such a thing as an inherently bad recording, strictly speaking.

George

Quote from: Renfield on November 25, 2009, 04:49:21 AM
There really isn't such a thing as an inherently bad recording, strictly speaking.

You obviously aren't a fan of the Kinks or Procol Harum.  ;)

Renfield

Quote from: George on November 25, 2009, 04:56:00 AM
You obviously aren't a fan of the Kinks or Procol Harum.  ;)

Nope. :P

But I bet if anyone is, on this forum, you'll soon hear from them. >:D

Elgarian

Looks like the end of an era. I checked the Hyperion 'Please Buy me' sale today, popped something into my basket and went to the checkout - to discover that, instead of the usual free postage, a whopping great £4.40 postage was added to the total. Which is understandable of course, except that it pretty well eliminates the whole bargain deal, really, unless you're buying lots of CDs. (Alas, usually there's a maximum of one in the bargain dump that I want). So that brings to an end my regular monitoring of the website every 2 or 3 days. It was good while it lasted!

*Next day addition: Please note - this situation described above seems to have been a false alarm brought about by site maintenance. The usual free postage has now been restored.

The new erato

Quote from: Elgarian on November 25, 2009, 12:44:46 PM
Looks like the end of an era. I checked the Hyperion 'Please Buy me' sale today, popped something into my basket and went to the checkout - to discover that, instead of the usual free postage, a whopping great £4.40 postage was added to the total. Which is understandable of course, except that it pretty well eliminates the whole bargain deal, really, unless you're buying lots of CDs. (Alas, usually there's a maximum of one in the bargain dump that I want). So that brings to an end my regular monitoring of the website every 2 or 3 days. It was good while it lasted!
Then you might as well buy them on mdt which charges 8.30 VATfree pounds, with P&P it comes to about the same and you can buy what you want not restricted to the few discs on offer. Something strange happende on hyperion's site; the previous offer was on for about 1 day, then it went down for nearly a day for maintenance and now this. I'm holding my breath and hoping this is a snafu..., certainly they will soon discover that they might as well drop the offer on the current terms. 

Novi

Are you sure? I just tested it and it's still free. Maybe try again? ???

Incidentally, does anyone know if the Leslie Howard Beethoven are transcriptions any good?
(This is a 3 disc item, but I also tested it with a single £5.60 item, and delivery was still free)

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 25, 2009, 01:14:32 AM
Yep, piracy exists, everybody knows that, no? But as any other crime, it must be proved. Mere unfounded suspicions or assertions are not enough.

Piracy is like illicit drugs, they have a market ONLY because there are consumers.  I have never owned any pirated CD's or DVD's.

Coopmv

The sales at MDT of many EMI boxes just ended yesterday.  The hefty postage was what deterred me from getting more boxes.  While the prices of the boxes were great, but at 75 pence per CD and a weak dollar, I was not a happy camper when I saw P&P of over £15.  The savings just got whittled down by the postage big-time ...    >:(

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Renfield on November 25, 2009, 04:49:21 AM
The question is, though, have you compared it to its official DG release? :)

No, I don't own the DG edition, therefore, I can't compare; but I have taken some points of previous discussions on the forum, especially the opinions by people like Premont, who has expressed his favorable appraisal about this set in different opportunities: 

Quote from: Expresso on April 20, 2007, 09:28:41 AM
http://www.membran.net/
What's your opinion on this label? It has some very good recordings on budget price.

For example, Helmut Walcha playing Bach's music for organ (10CD's). Is it the same recording as the one by Archiv music? Any differences maybe on the quality of the sound?

Also Karajan conducting Bach's Mass in B minor (1952). That recording is also availiable by EMI.

Quote from: premont on April 22, 2007, 03:29:39 AM
The Walcha set is the Archiv mono recordings from 1947-52. With a tad ambience tastefully added. A real bargain.

Quote from: erato on April 22, 2007, 07:47:06 AM
Available in Norway for 13 USD. Of course I've bought it some time ago.

Quote from: Que on April 22, 2007, 09:10:04 AM
Probably transfers from LP, which is legal because the recordings are out of copyright (in Europe).
Can't imagine that DG licensed and gave access to the original recordings.

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on November 25, 2009, 06:06:11 PM
Piracy is like illicit drugs, they have a market ONLY because there are consumers.  I have never owned any pirated CD's or DVD's.

It is really hard to try to follow any logical argumentation with you Coop. You only seem interested in your usual sweeping generalizations, without any specific relation with the discussed issues.  ::)

Elgarian

Quote from: Novi on November 25, 2009, 12:54:04 PM
Are you sure? I just tested it and it's still free. Maybe try again? ???

You're right! I just went ahead and completed my purchase, post-free. Thanks for pointing this out.

It looks as though I must have visited the site when some maintenance was going on - or maybe they hadn't restored the site correctly, as erato suggests above. Anyway, it's now back to bargain business as usual.

The new erato

Quote from: Elgarian on November 26, 2009, 12:02:28 AM
You're right! I just went ahead and completed my purchase, post-free. Thanks for pointing this out.

It looks as though I must have visited the site when some maintenance was going on - or maybe they hadn't restored the site correctly, as erato suggests above. Anyway, it's now back to bargain business as usual.
Not much of interest there just now, unfortunately. I planned on buying Hamelin's Villa-Lobos disc, but that list was withdrawn after about one day, due to the maintenance I mentioned. What I'm really following is the series of Schumann's songs (where I've secured two volumes so far)....

Harry

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 25, 2009, 10:55:13 PM
It is really hard to try to follow any logical argumentation with you Coop. You only seem interested in your usual sweeping generalizations, without any specific relation with the discussed issues.  ::)

I cannot get out of the thought that Coop is using GMG as a personal blog, because he only tells us what he is playing, without telling us what he thinks of it, but then again many do. :)

The new erato

Quote from: Elgarian on November 26, 2009, 12:02:28 AM

It seems like they've added extensive download options that weren't there before?