The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: erato on November 26, 2009, 12:24:52 AM
Not much of interest there just now, unfortunately. I planned on buying Hamelin's Villa-Lobos disc, but that list was withdrawn after about one day, due to the maintenance I mentioned. What I'm really following is the series of Schumann's songs (where I've secured two volumes so far)....

There's a good chance your Villa-Lobos disc will turn up again. I've noticed that some titles keep coming around several times.

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 25, 2009, 10:55:13 PM
It is really hard to try to follow any logical argumentation with you Coop. You only seem interested in your usual sweeping generalizations, without any specific relation with the discussed issues.  ::)

What logical explanation is needed on this issue of piracy?  It is a no-brainer and an economic issue.  There is piracy in the US too but it is not as rampant as in the so-called third-world countries.  Perhaps my statement was offensive to some of you who live outside western Europe or the US?

Coopmv

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on November 24, 2009, 01:38:41 PM
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. Or they're just inept with little of the state-of-the-art equipment needed to do an adequate job. Probably lots of variables...

What about the quality of the playback equipments?  If people play their CD's on crappy systems, they will never get the best out of their CD's anyway.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on November 26, 2009, 04:01:18 AM
What logical explanation is needed on this issue of piracy?  It is a no-brainer and an economic issue.  There is piracy in the US too but it is not as rampant as in the so-called third-world countries.  Perhaps my statement was offensive to some of you who live outside western Europe or the US?

Do you really understand anything about the last posts? This discussion was about Walcha's set on Documents (10 CDs), which it is sold in all major stores of the world and distributed by Membran Records, a German label.

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 26, 2009, 04:37:54 AM
Do you really understand anything about the last posts? This discussion was about Walcha's set on Documents (10 CDs), which it is sold in all major stores of the world and distributed by Membran Records, a German label.

Absolutely,  I have owned these two sets for a while.  May I remind you you were the one who strayed off the topic to talk about priracy and I just responded.  Was there anything wrong with that?

Antoine Marchand

Wrong again. Apparently you can not search by yourself, but if you read replies 273, 275, 276, 278, 279, 280, 281 and 284 on this thread, you will see that all of them are about Documents as a supposed pirate label.

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 26, 2009, 04:59:11 AM
Wrong again. Apparently you can not search by yourself, but if you read replies 273, 275, 276, 278, 279, 280, 281 and 284 on this thread, you will see that all of them are about Documents as a supposed pirate label.

Listen, I have better ways to waste my time than being the unpaid GMG archivist to search through voluminous posts to determine if I own a pirate copy of ONE recording.  I am not bothered if I have one pirated copy out of 8000 classical recordings.  At least I bought the set from some Amazon vendor and not off the street, and Amazon is supposed to do the necessary vetting for items sold on its Market Place.  Be my guest if you have more time to undertake this detective work ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on November 26, 2009, 05:07:32 AM
Listen, I have better ways to waste my time than being the unpaid GMG archivist to search through voluminous posts to determine if I own a pirate copy of ONE recording...

Yes, I know. You waste your time preparing your informative posts: Now playing CD5 of this set, now playing CD42 of this set and so ad nauseam.

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 26, 2009, 05:15:07 AM
Yes, I know. You waste your time preparing your informative posts: Now playing CD5 of this set, now playing CD42 of this set and so ad nauseam.

There are only one or two people on the forum whose opinions I value and you are not one of them and I will not divulge the identity of those individuals either.  All I care to get out from this forum is what I might have overlooked in terms of potentially good recordings.  I do not care to read any detailed reviews from anyone, period.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on November 26, 2009, 05:22:57 AM
There are only one or two people on the forum whose opinions I value and you are not one of them and I will not divulge the identity of those individuals either... 

... for the posterity.  :)  8)

Renfield

May I just politely note that there is no rule in this forum saying what members are supposed to think, what criteria they are supposed to hold for their purchases, or what outlook they need maintain towards issues like piracy.

Nor is there a rule specifying posters need offer particular information of any sort; e.g. reviews. The only rule, and this is still unwritten, is that members' posts outside the Diner need have some sort of tangential relation to classical music.

If some of you, whose opinions I would readily hear and respect, believe any such respect is conditional to your not expressing contentious views, then I invite you to revise that belief. I know this discussion was also pertinent previously, when M - a consistent source of contentious views - was not yet banned, and so a lot of arguments people could raise against certain views being permissible might be pulled from that context. But do note that contrary to M, Coopmv is not attacking anyone.

He is just making a series of passive, however contentious, statements, many of which are generalisations; like saying "Lang Lang is a bad pianist" is a generalisation, to which I don't see many of you objecting. And even if you disagree with his views, you do your own views and (hopefully) counter-arguments no justice by drowning them in knee-jerk ad hominem.

For the record, I don't select my purchases based on Coopmv's criteria. I select them based on my criteria. As does he. ;)

Edit: And there are also far fewer people in this forum whose recording-related opinions I value, in the sense that they can effectively sway my purchasing decisions, than there are posters. I fail to see where this is shocking.

Harry

Quote from: Coopmv on November 26, 2009, 05:22:57 AM
There are only one or two people on the forum whose opinions I value and you are not one of them and I will not divulge the identity of those individuals either.  All I care to get out from this forum is what I might have overlooked in terms of potentially good recordings.  I do not care to read any detailed reviews from anyone, period.

Coop, lets be honest my friend, Antoine is right, you are using this forum only as your personal blog, thats fine with me, but we learn nothing from you about the hundreds and hundreds of cd's you play.  And this is to be a forum to discuss music and communicate, your strong in the first, rather weak in the other. No offense meant by the way.

Maciek

I'm temporarily locking the thread to give everyone time to cool off a bit.

[If anyone has an urgent super-duper bargain to post, please PM me.]

knight66

I hope the shocking weather, at least here, has succeeded in cooling the wider atmosphere and I take pleasure in now unlocking the thread.

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: knight on November 26, 2009, 11:20:41 AM
I hope the shocking weather, at least here, has succeeded in cooling the wider atmosphere and I take pleasure in now unlocking the thread.

Knight

I was rather enjoying that bit of banter above Mike, as I sit here at work awaiting 9pm.  So as not to be off topic, I am also surfing away like mad, looking for those super duper bargains.

Not found any yet  :(

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Elgarian

Quote from: erato on November 26, 2009, 02:14:02 AM
It seems like they've added extensive download options that weren't there before?

Yes - though I'm a sufficently antedeluvian physical media music buyer not to be drawn in.

My choice this time, incidentally, was Boughton's The Immortal Hour. Even after listening to all the samples I couldn't decide if it was my sort of thing, so decided it was worth risking £5.60 on, for 2CDs. That kind of celtic twilight mystical thing ought to get under my guard, I'd have thought. But then, I always used to think I was an 'English music' fan, but actually I've discovered that I'm such a picky English music fan that I don't think I really qualify as one at all.)

There's yet another new batch on offer at Hyperion now, by the way.

jimmosk

A super bargain was just mentioned on the Downloads thread: Glazunov's eight symphonies for a whopping five dollars, from Amazon MP3. This is (hopefully) a link that I've set up to give a small percentage back to the GMG forum:
http://www.amazon.com/Glazunov-The-Complete-Symphony-Collection/dp/B001NBNR7S?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&tag=goodmusicguideco&link_code=hom&*entries*=0
Jim Moskowitz / The Unknown Composers Page / http://kith.org/jimmosk
---.      ---.      ---.---.---.    ---.---.---.
"On the whole, I think the whole musical world is oblivious of all the bitterness, resentment, iconoclasm, and denunciation that lies behind my music." --Percy Grainger(!)

The new erato

Quote from: Elgarian on November 26, 2009, 12:16:26 PM

There's yet another new batch on offer at Hyperion now, by the way.
Yes, the Prateroius disc (not Michael) is slightly tempting.

jimmosk

Here's a bargain for those preferring discs to downloads:
http://www.amazon.com/Works-Igor-Stravinsky-Box-Set/dp/B000PTYUQG?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&tag=goodmusicguideco&link_code=hom&*entries*=0

This is the 22-CD Sony box set of Stravinsky (and Robert Craft) conducting most of his own works, mentioned in passing way back on page 1 of this thread. It's currently available for $32. Here's a list of all ninety-five pieces on it: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=175079
Jim Moskowitz / The Unknown Composers Page / http://kith.org/jimmosk
---.      ---.      ---.---.---.    ---.---.---.
"On the whole, I think the whole musical world is oblivious of all the bitterness, resentment, iconoclasm, and denunciation that lies behind my music." --Percy Grainger(!)

Harry

If this isn't a bargain I don't know what is!

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-S%E4mtliche-Sonaten-f%FCr-Violine-Klavier/hnum/4393193

Question: Could this thread be a stickie, its important enough! Thanks