The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Less than 20 at Presto, and add the relatively cheaper shipping for an 11-disc set. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Air

http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Klavierwerke-Germany/dp/B000AAP7EO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1259820276&sr=1-11

10 cds for 9 dollars used and 12 dollars new. 

Unfortunately, it's probably a very mediocre set, but it's a good introduction to Chopin, especially as it features recordings by different pianists, such as Rubinstein, Horowitz, Cortot, Arrau, Michelangeli, Gilels, Solomon, Backhaus, etc.  Another plus of this set, it covers the complete PCs, scherzi, ballades, waltzes, mazurkas, and etudes (op. 10, 25), which is often hard to find.

Doesn't really tempt me, but if you don't have any Chopin in your collection, i suggest you to take a glance this way...
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

Opus106

Quote from: RexRichter on December 02, 2009, 09:16:09 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Klavierwerke-Germany/dp/B000AAP7EO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1259820276&sr=1-11

10 cds for 9 dollars used and 12 dollars new. 

Unfortunately, it's probably a very mediocre set, but it's a good introduction to Chopin, especially as it features recordings by different pianists, such as Rubinstein, Horowitz, Cortot, Arrau, Michelangeli, Gilels, Solomon, Backhaus, etc.  Another plus of this set, it covers the complete PCs, scherzi, ballades, waltzes, mazurkas, and etudes (op. 10, 25), which is often hard to find.

Doesn't really tempt me, but if you don't have any Chopin in your collection, i suggest you to take a glance this way...

Also a good introduction to Chopin would be this set. Apart from the etudes, this contains, to my knowledge, every other solo work, and the piano concerti. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Air

Quote from: Opus106 on December 02, 2009, 11:00:30 PM
Also a good introduction to Chopin would be this set. Apart from the etudes, this contains, to my knowledge, every other solo work, and the piano concerti. :)

There are a good many piano works missing from that set, actually.

The reason I mentioned the set above as a better reference/starter is because many people just won't warm to Rubinstein's "natural" Chopin and never will.  A more comprehensive set can give you a better feel of which pianists you enjoy and which you do not.

George

Quote from: RexRichter on December 03, 2009, 08:30:42 PM
The reason I mentioned the set above as a better reference/starter is because many people just won't warm to Rubinstein's "natural" Chopin and never will.  A more comprehensive set can give you a better feel of which pianists you enjoy and which you do not.

I think it is wise to go for the piecemeal approach when it comes to Chopin, for I don't think any pianist plays all of Chopin's works well or perhaps better to say, to one's taste. Some are only great with the etudes, others excel with the Ballades but not with the Nocturnes and vice versa. Some, like Moravec, Rosenthal, Pachmann, to name a few, didn't record nearly all of Chopin's output anyway. Many of the great Chopin CDs are available at midprice (Ashkenazy's Decca Two-fers, Gavrilov's Etudes on Seraphim, Arrau's Nocturnes, etc) or lower, so it's possible to assemble a reasonably priced personalized box set of individual CDs.   

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 04, 2009, 03:38:41 AM
I think it is wise to go for the piecemeal approach when it comes to Chopin, for I don't think any pianist plays all of Chopin's works well or perhaps better to say, to one's taste. Some are only great with the etudes, others excel with the Ballades but not with the Nocturnes and vice versa. Some, like Moravec, Rosenthal, Pachmann, to name a few, didn't record nearly all of Chopin's output anyway. Many of the great Chopin CDs are available at midprice (Ashkenazy's Decca Two-fers, Gavrilov's Etudes on Seraphim, Arrau's Nocturnes, etc) or lower, so it's possible to assemble a reasonably priced personalized box set of individual CDs.   

I expect to get the following Chopin set before the end of year as the set features some pianists I really like, such as Bella Davidovich, whose CD recordings are not easy to find.  This big box will complement the close to 100 CD's/LP's of Chopin works
I currently own - mostly singles.  I just love Chopin piano works ...    ;D

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 04, 2009, 04:19:24 AM
I just love Chopin piano works ...    ;D

Me too. As time goes on, I have become more and more fond of them.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 04, 2009, 04:52:26 AM

I am particularly fond of the Nocturnes.  Unfortunately, those singles by Cortot on Naxos Historical I bought last spring really do not cover the whole work.  Did Cortot ever record the complete Nocturnes, George?  Or are they only available on EMI, whose sound may not be quite as good as Naxos Historical?

The new erato

Quote from: George on December 04, 2009, 04:52:26 AM
Chopin has gone from being a nonentity in my listening ten years ago to being quite important currently. And that after 35 years in classical music!

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 04, 2009, 05:13:14 AM
I am particularly fond of the Nocturnes.  Unfortunately, those singles by Cortot on Naxos Historical I bought last spring really do not cover the whole work.  Did Cortot ever record the complete Nocturnes, George?  Or are they only available on EMI, whose sound may not be quite as good as Naxos Historical?

I don't think that he recorded them all, no.

Air

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Andromeda/ANDRCD5012

Though it is often advised not to buy from such a label, one must be tempted at this bargain - 3 CDs of Cortot's finest Schumann recordings, remastered, and selling for 15 dollars.  Not on Pearl, Philips, Music and Arts, Biddulph, EMI, or even Naxos can you get these recordings at anywhere near that price.

Orpheus

Renfield

Quote from: Orpheus on December 26, 2009, 12:36:05 AM
Look at this bargain... :o

I just ordered it

http://www.amazon.de/Festival-Ballet-Ballett-exklusiv-Amazon/dp/B002P75FBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261820065&sr=8-1

Orpheus  ;)

If that doesn't qualify for this thread, at that price, I really don't know what should. :o

Elusive complete track listing here!

George

Quote from: Renfield on December 26, 2009, 05:12:08 AM
And what's this?

Some big names in there, but none that I call my favorites for Chopin. Plus, they left out Cortot.  :-[

Renfield

Quote from: George on December 26, 2009, 05:30:54 AM
Some big names in there, but none that I call my favorites for Chopin. Plus, they left out Cortot.  :-[

It generally seems to be a round-up of the Chopin recordings in their archive not currently in print, and of at least adequate quality.

Still, some of them might be worth hearing...

The new erato

Quote from: Renfield on December 26, 2009, 05:08:04 AM
If that doesn't qualify for this thread, at that price, I really don't know what should. :o

Elusive complete track listing here!
Some strange choices of works though:

CD 33: ELGAR - Enigma Variations; VAUGHAN WILLIAMS - Job