The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

It seems very hit and miss, like most of these boxes. The roster of lieder singers looks very strong, and there is the Hungarian Quartet in the SQs, but then there's Menuhin in the symphonies. Sawallisch is good in the choral works, but I don't know how much he features in.

Here's a scan of the back:

Overall it looks pretty strong, if not vital.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on December 30, 2009, 07:34:58 PM
Downloading now - 1.3 GB downloaded, 200 megabytes left to go, probably the biggest download I've ever done! Still and all, for $10 to have the complete Haydn sonatas, well, I'm a little bit excited.  :)

Looks like the file transfer process will be complete pretty near the four-hour mark  :o

EDIT: Finished at 4 h 14 m. Pretty good given the length of the album is 10 h 57 m!

Brian,   Were you using a 1 TB external hard drive for this download?  I have seen prices for such drive for a little over $100 on sale ...

Brian

Quote from: Coopmv on January 01, 2010, 11:27:15 AM
Brian,   Were you using a 1 TB external hard drive for this download?  I have seen prices for such drive for a little over $100 on sale ...

Nope, my regular hard drive had room! I do need to invest in a 1 TB external, however; have seen them for as cheap as $90, and with my current external full, it's a pressing need.  :)

George

Fazil Say
Mozart Concertos 12, 21, 23
Haydn Sonatas 10, 31, 35, 37, 43
Beethoven Waldstein, Appassionata and Tempest Sonatas

All for only $12.99 new

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on January 01, 2010, 12:13:14 PM
Nope, my regular hard drive had room! I do need to invest in a 1 TB external, however; have seen them for as cheap as $90, and with my current external full, it's a pressing need.  :)

I tend to stick with Seagate and Western Digital because of their reputation, though the 1 TB externals made by these companies tend to be pricier.  I have seen 1 TB external by Fantom advertised for less than $100 but really am unsure about this brand's reliability ...

Brian

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 18, 2010, 10:56:10 AM
2. It might contain a French spy.

Hmm, good point. I don't much care for French spies, unless they look like this:

erato, the site claims it comes with a 200 page book (although maybe my French is just bad!).

Maciek

The "book" is in French, it is in fact only 182 pages long (because some of the pages are empty ;D), and you can download a free pdf, so why bother getting all those heavy CDs?

(Oddly enough, it does not contain sung texts.)

Wanderer

The new erato

Quote from: George on January 19, 2010, 02:54:50 AM
No way, Jose. If you are to resist the dark side, it must be done on your own.  :D
The Force is weak in him.

ammar

Well worth looking through the rest of Abeille Musique's Brilliant Classics sale stock:

http://classique.abeillemusique.com/result.php?page=1&label=81&order=prix&sort_type=DESC

eg

Haydn Edition Volume 1      - 50 euros
Russian Legends (100 CDs) - 30 euros
Brendel Early Recordings     - 23 euros
Scarlatti Complete Sonatas  - 22 euros
Rachmaninov Complete Edition - 20 euros

Delivery to the UK is 10 euros, the website is entirely in French with no option to translate (L'Académie française would be proud), so only proceed if your French is, er, bon. :)

Opus106

Quote from: ammar on January 19, 2010, 09:40:48 AM
Delivery to the UK is 10 euros, the website is entirely in French with no option to translate (L'Académie française would be proud), so only proceed if your French is, er, bon. :)

I assume it's a flat rate. And could you please tell me how much they charge to ship things to India -- if they ship to India at all? :) I'm sorry to trouble you, but my French is not the least bon. :)

*Fingers crossed, hoping it makes JPC and Amazon.de seem inexpensive*
Regards,
Navneeth

Wanderer

Quote from: Opus106 on January 19, 2010, 09:46:18 AM
I assume it's a flat rate. And could you please tell me how much they charge to ship things to India -- if they ship to India at all? :) I'm sorry to trouble you, but my French is not the least bon. :)

Their international shipping rates depend on the items ordered and are calculated thus: 9,90 euros for 1-3 items, 18,30 euros for 4-7 items, 28,20 euros for 8-15 items and free shipping for ordering more than 15 items. Shipping charges are calculated automatically on the order page, so you'll be able to check them out before finalizing the order - and in your case they're also going to exclude the sales tax from the item's price (about 17% if I remember correctly).

Opus106

Quote from: Wanderer on January 19, 2010, 10:18:55 AM
Their international shipping rates depend on the items ordered and are calculated thus: 9,90 euros for 1-3 items, 18,30 euros for 4-7 items, 28,20 euros for 8-15 items and free shipping for ordering more than 15 items. Shipping charges are calculated automatically on the order page, so you'll be able to check them out before finalizing the order - and in your case they're also going to exclude the sales tax from the item's price (about 17% if I remember correctly).

That information is very much appreicated, Tasos. :)

(And like I feared, their rates seem to be rather reasonable.  :-\)
Regards,
Navneeth

Wanderer

Quote from: Opus106 on January 19, 2010, 10:22:56 AM
That information is very much appreicated, Tasos. :)

(And like I feared, their rates seem to be rather reasonable.  :-\)

I didn't manage to find any list of excluded countries (à la amazon marketplace) on their help pages, so these rates do apply internationally. If these bix Brilliant boxes are considered as singular items for the purpose of calculating the delivery charges,  it's a good deal. Now that I think of it, it will cost less to send an item to India (same p&p, but tax-free) than to send it to Greece!  :o  ;D

Opus106

Quote from: Wanderer on January 19, 2010, 10:42:38 AM
I didn't manage to find any list of excluded countries (à la amazon marketplace) on their help pages, so these rates do apply internationally. If these bix Brilliant boxes are considered as singular items for the purpose of calculating the delivery charges,  it's a good deal. Now that I think of it, it will cost less to send an item to India (same p&p, but tax-free) than to send it to Greece!  :o  ;D

Those rates always will remain an enigma.
Regards,
Navneeth