The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Buchberger Haydn is 20 euros.

Man, I was planning not to buy any CDs this year and then they have to go and tempt me this way.

ammar

Wanderer & Opus106,

I partially processed an order with my country flagged as India; Abeille's system seemed to accept it without any problems. Postage to India starts at 8.28 euros - I'm guessing it's cheaper than for the UK & Greece because the local sales tax is removed (also reflected in the reduced prices shown on the Abeille website for CDs when I changed my address). Of course, we don't then need to worry about any import taxes...

MN Dave

Quote from: Brian on January 19, 2010, 11:08:45 AM
Buchberger Haydn is 20 euros.

Man, I was planning not to buy any CDs this year ...

Then why are you even reading this thread???

Opus106

Quote from: ammar on January 19, 2010, 11:09:24 AM
Wanderer & Opus106,

I partially processed an order with my country flagged as India; Abeille's system seemed to accept it without any problems. Postage to India starts at 8.28 euros - I'm guessing it's cheaper than for the UK & Greece because the local sales tax is removed (also reflected in the reduced prices shown on the Abeille website for CDs when I changed my address). Of course, we don't then need to worry about any import taxes...

Wow, thanks a lot, ammar. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

ammar

Well this is beginning to resemble a fire sale :

http://classique.abeillemusique.com/result.php?page=1&label=81&order=prix&sort_type=DESC

Haydn Edition (150 CDs) now 40 euros! :o
Russian Legends & Beethoven Edition (both 100CDs) now 24 euros apiece! :o
Brendel Set & Scarlatti Sonatas (35 & 36 CDs) now 18 euros each! :o

If I'd held fire on the Haydn set, I could have saved another 10 euros today! (mind you, If I'd held fire on the Haydn set @ 50 euros, I would have been an idiot!)

Will there be a further reduction tomorrow, I wonder? (and is this a deliberate attempt by Abeille to pauperize GMGers?)

Brian

Wow! I guess I'll wait a couple days - my cart [Beethoven, Rachmaninov, historical Russians edition] just went from US $107 to US $88! NOTE: You have to delete everything from your cart and re-add them to get the new price.

The Buchberger Haydn complete box set is now US $24.

EDIT: It must be a fire sale. Every Brilliant Classics item that's not listed is no longer available, even new releases (the Knushnevitsky box that came out last month is already out of print, they claim).

Brian

Now, I'm going to be useful to everybody else and recommend y'all buy the 5CD Sviatoslav Richter set. It's 8 euros and it contains some of the most stupendous Schubert and Beethoven playing there is.

Air

Quote from: Brian on January 19, 2010, 07:55:15 PM
Now, I'm going to be useful to everybody else and recommend y'all buy the 5CD Sviatoslav Richter set. It's 8 euros and it contains some of the most stupendous Schubert and Beethoven playing there is.

I'm eyeing the Yudina and Sofronitsky sets too.
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

Que

Quote from: Wanderer on January 19, 2010, 10:18:55 AM
Their international shipping rates depend on the items ordered and are calculated thus: 9,90 euros for 1-3 items, 18,30 euros for 4-7 items, 28,20 euros for 8-15 items and free shipping for ordering more than 15 items. Shipping charges are calculated automatically on the order page, so you'll be able to check them out before finalizing the order - and in your case they're also going to exclude the sales tax from the item's price (about 17% if I remember correctly).

After I gathered some nice bargains, I was unpleasantly reminded of Abeillemusique's idiotic "foreign" shipping rates. I had six items, so I would have to pay that €18,30!  :o  Thereby evaporating any discount advantage... While jpc, for instance, charges me a for any amount a flat rate of €5,-  ::). And I do not live on another continent. Well, they know where to stick it... :P

Q

Lethevich

That French site has some ridiculously cheap stuff aside from Brilliant Classics. Many full-priced Chandos CDs are going for 6.40, including cool stuff like their D'Indy, Koechlin, the recent Bacewicz violin concertos disc, etc. If the shipping was flat-rate I would've bought a crate load.

This is one of the first times I've ever felt jealous of the French :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

Picked this new release up for $55 (56 discs). 

As if we need further proof of EMI's incompetence, there is no listing or hint of the existence of this set on EMI classics own web site (that I can find) although various amazon sites are selling it and one has already been shipped to me.  No track listing has been made available either, although I have a general idea of what Ciccolini recorded for EMI.

How can a company that can't even manage to maintain a list of the products it sells survive?

MN Dave

Quote from: Scarpia on January 20, 2010, 07:21:25 AM
Picked this new release up for $55 (56 discs). 

As if we need further proof of EMI's incompetence, there is no listing or hint of the existence of this set on EMI classics own web site (that I can find) although various amazon sites are selling it and one has already been shipped to me.  No track listing has been made available either, although I have a general idea of what Ciccolini recorded for EMI.

How can a company that can't even manage to maintain a list of the products it sells survive?

http://www.emivirginclassics.fr/aldo-ciccolini-the-complete-emi-recordings/

Scarpia

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 20, 2010, 07:26:06 AM
http://www.emivirginclassics.fr/aldo-ciccolini-the-complete-emi-recordings/

Good work, finding it on the French EMI site.  I was wondering if I missed it, but I still can't find it in the catalog or new release pages of the international site, www.emiclassics.com.

MN Dave

Quote from: Scarpia on January 20, 2010, 07:40:21 AM
Good work, finding it on the French EMI site.  I was wondering if I missed it, but I still can't find it in the catalog or new release pages of the international site, www.emiclassics.com.

French EMI may have released it. I don't know how that works, but CD Universe states as much.

Brian

French EMI seems to do a lot of stuff without telling the parent company. I think Yves Nat and other pianists have gotten similar treatment. You know what they say about the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing...

MN Dave

French Sony released my box of Szell LvB symphonies. Shh...  8)

Orpheus

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 20, 2010, 07:48:43 AM
French Sony released my box of Szell LvB symphonies. Shh...  8)

Explain to me please! I'd like to pick Szell/Beethoven box at a reasonable price...

MN Dave

Quote from: Orpheus on January 20, 2010, 10:28:20 AM
Explain to me please! I'd like to pick Szell/Beethoven box at a reasonable price...

Sorry. This was a while back. I think it's oop by now.

George

Quote from: Orpheus on January 20, 2010, 10:28:20 AM

I see those CDs (singly) in the used bins for $3.99 all the time.