The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on January 21, 2010, 11:04:48 AM
I should have paid more attention in French class...

Me too.  :(

My cart is full of nice and cheap goodies, but I don't know how to buy with my credit card. Some help?

:)

George

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 21, 2010, 02:04:55 PM

My cart is full of nice and cheap goodies, but I don't know how to buy with my credit card. Some help?

Sure, just PM me the number.

;)

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on January 21, 2010, 02:04:55 PM

Near the bottom of the page are three options - choose "Je paie par CB" (CB = carte bancaire = credit card).

Q

Scarpia

Quote from: George on January 21, 2010, 02:15:13 PM
Sure, just PM me the number.

;)

And include the standard French legal fine print:  Vous mai faites ce que vous voulez avec ma carte de crédit.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on January 21, 2010, 02:25:02 PM
CB = carte bancaire = credit card

Thanks, Q! It was all what I needed.  :D

ammar

Did a bit more snooping on the Abeille Musique site - some more 'cheap as chips' sets (coupled with the usual exorbitant shipping rates):

Brahms - Complete Chamber Music - Hyperion - 12CDs = 24 euros

http://classique.abeillemusique.com/CD/Classique/CDS4433142/0034571143316/Hyperion/Johannes-Brahms/Musique-de-Chambre-Integrale/cleart-30432.html

Chopin - Complete Piano Music - Hyperion - 16CDs = 22 euros

http://classique.abeillemusique.com/CD/Classique/CDS4435166/0034571143514/Hyperion/Frederic-Chopin/Integrale-des-OEuvres/cleart-30622.html

Wagner - Ring Cycle - Rudolf Kempe - Testament = 35 euros

http://classique.abeillemusique.com/CD/Classique/SBT131426/0749677142629/Testament/Richard-Wagner/Der-Ring-des-Nibelungen-La-Tetralogie/cleart-30662.html

Langaard - Symphonies - Da Capo - 12 SACDs = 28 euros

http://classique.abeillemusique.com/SACD-Hybride/Classique/6200001/0747313300167/Da-Capo/Rued-Langgaard/Les-Symphonies/cleart-31520.html

I think the new WTC recording by Angela Hewitt was on for 14 euros, all the hyperion 'full price' discs (as with the Chandos ones) are 6.80 euros a pop. Various special priced 3 CD sets (Gothic Voices, Veracini Sonatas) are also 6.80 euros. Most of the Hyperion/Gramophone Award Edition is going for 5 euros (Sauer/Scharwenka Piano Concertos, etc.).

As for other labels, I think I saw some Da Capo and Nimbus box sets highly reduced too.

Happy Shopping :)

Brian

Hmmm ... $150 buys me the complete works of Beethoven, Rachmaninov, and Grieg, the complete Haydn quartets, the Mravinsky edition, and the giant Russian Archives collection. 285 CDs, 53 cents per CD. All for the price of 10 dinners at the local Mexican restaurant. Every reason to buy it.

Except:

When will I listen to it all?

George

Bunny

Quote from: Brian on January 21, 2010, 05:37:02 PM
Hmmm ... $150 buys me the complete works of Beethoven, Rachmaninov, and Grieg, the complete Haydn quartets, the Mravinsky edition, and the giant Russian Archives collection. 285 CDs, 53 cents per CD. All for the price of 10 dinners at the local Mexican restaurant. Every reason to buy it.

Except:

When will I listen to it all?

And how good are the recordings? 

I just got the Dorati Haydn cycle for $51.  That's $1.50 per cd, but the quality is uniformly high.  I think that's a real bargain.

The new erato

Quote from: ammar on January 21, 2010, 05:22:07 PM

Langaard - Symphonies - Da Capo - 12 SACDs = 28 euros

The Langgaard set isn't on 12 CDs. I think it's on 6. Great price anyway though.

otterhouse

I just bought Shotakovich 24 preludes by Muza Rubackyté.

Got a reasonable review too:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=11265

2CD's for one euro, even placemats are more expensive...

Rolf

Moldyoldie

[Pasted from "What Are You Listening To?"]
It seems to come in various packaging.
Mahler: Symphony No. 5
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Frank Shipway, cond.
RPO PLATINUM

Shipway/RPO's Mahler Fifth is schizoid to the max (in the now sullied sense of meaning thoroughly contrasting in mood, tempo and dynamics); yet comprehensible, committed, and thrillingly performed -- it's how I imagine Mahler imagined it! The brass soloists are spot-on in expression and overall ensemble is quite fine with this very inspired conducting. Also, the twelve-minute Adagietto isn't "beautiful", it's fine steel mesh being stretched and rent asunder. This is a Mahler Fifth that demands to be heard!

The recording is spacious, somewhat less than impeccably balanced; but mostly clean, unfussy and gimmick-free...and it's available dirt cheap online. You'll love it!
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

Renfield

Many thanks for the heads-up on that sale! Just nabbed the Haydn box, the 'historical' complete Beethoven box, and the Ohlsson Chopin (special thanks to ammar for this, as I would otherwise have missed it).

That's €95 including UK shipping.

I suppose there are worse ways to spend €95! ;) :D

Wanderer

Some highly recommended highlights from the Abeille sale (click on images):

mc ukrneal

How are the points used when you make a purchase? I'm probably not looking in the right spot (or not understanding).

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Wanderer

Quote from: ukrneal on January 23, 2010, 01:38:12 PM
How are the points used when you make a purchase? I'm probably not looking in the right spot (or not understanding).

You can't use them right away; you can cash them out when placing a subsequent order. The points you already have and the sum they amount to are calculated automatically on the ordering page.

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on January 23, 2010, 02:41:04 PM
You can't use them right away; you can cash them out when placing a subsequent order. The points you already have and the sum they amount to are calculated automatically on the ordering page.

How many points do you have to get before it makes a difference? I placed a 28 euro order there last year (Complete Brahms / Brilliant) and don't seem to have any points being applied to my total.

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on January 23, 2010, 11:10:56 PM
How many points do you have to get before it makes a difference? I placed a 28 euro order there last year (Complete Brahms / Brilliant) and don't seem to have any points being applied to my total.
The points appear in the confirming e-mail you receive. I seem to remember I got 8 points, whatever that's worth, for mye 60 Euro, 251 disc, purchase.

Maciek

Quote from: Brian on January 23, 2010, 11:10:56 PM

You have to use them up within approx. half a year, after that they're gone.