The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Are the sales over?! Is it safe to come out again...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Harry

Harry

Would anyone know where to get this for a reasonable price. It seems OOP.

Maciek

Quote from: ukrneal on February 03, 2010, 03:53:22 AM
Are the sales over?! Is it safe to come out again...

Nope, I'm afraid they've extended the abeillemusique sale by a couple days (till the 7th). Darn, I was looking forward to Wednesday as a temptation-free day too. ;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Maciek on February 03, 2010, 04:57:10 AM
Nope, I'm afraid they've extended the abeillemusique sale by a couple days (till the 7th). Darn, I was looking forward to Wednesday as a temptation-free day too. ;D

Oh, damn! Those sly Frenchmen know us very well.  :)

The new erato

Quote from: Maciek on February 03, 2010, 04:57:10 AM
Holy crap. I avoided noting that due to them advertising in french only (not so devious after all?), and here you are blowing the news.

Scarpia

How long does it take those Frenchies to ship?  I ordered last week but no shipping notice yet.

Renfield

Quote from: Scarpia on February 03, 2010, 08:45:44 AM
How long does it take those Frenchies to ship?  I ordered last week but no shipping notice yet.

They shipped in two working days for me, via DHL. Maybe US orders are more tricky.

Elgarian

I make this post with some trepidation. Is this a bargain?

Box set offered for sale, for 14.99 euros, at jpc here:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-21-Klavierkonzerte/hnum/6348294

I wanted a non-HIP set of Mozart piano concertos so that I could make comparisons with my Sofronitzki fortepiano HIP set, and while I can't find much review information about this Annerose Schmidt/Kurt Masur set, I get the impression that it's not outstanding, but respectable. Anyway, for my present purposes it seemed like a bargain, so I'm posting this info here in case it's of use to anyone else.

Scarpia

Quote from: Renfield on February 03, 2010, 08:49:58 AM
They shipped in two working days for me, via DHL. Maybe US orders are more tricky.

My order was in on Thursday.  Anti-American discrimination is what it is!!!  (Pass the freedom fries.)   >:(

Renfield

Quote from: Scarpia on February 03, 2010, 09:02:47 AM
My order was in on Thursday.  Anti-American discrimination is what it is!!!  (Pass the freedom fries.)   >:(

You should've thought of that before that independence business. 8)

Edit: Which obviously alienated the French, who've had nothing whatsoever to do with revolutions in their recent history.

Scarpia

Quote from: Renfield on February 03, 2010, 09:06:10 AM
You should've thought of that before that independence business. 8)

Are you kidding, if it weren't for the revolution we'd still be under horrible tyranny (like Canada  ???).

Renfield

Quote from: Scarpia on February 03, 2010, 09:08:17 AM
Are you kidding, if it weren't for the revolution we'd still be under horrible tyranny (like Canada  ???).

But you'd get better shipping times from defeated enemies of the Empire. That is, intuitively, a greater perk than freedom.

Something the Canadians no doubt realised in time. Ray? Todd?

Opus106

Quote from: Elgarian on February 03, 2010, 08:53:06 AM
I make this post with some trepidation. Is this a bargain?

Box set offered for sale, for 14.99 euros, at jpc here:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-21-Klavierkonzerte/hnum/6348294

I wanted a non-HIP set of Mozart piano concertos so that I could make comparisons with my Sofronitzki fortepiano HIP set, and while I can't find much review information about this Annerose Schmidt/Kurt Masur set, I get the impression that it's not outstanding, but respectable. Anyway, for my present purposes it seemed like a bargain, so I'm posting this info here in case it's of use to anyone else.

Here's another set for your consideration.
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-23-Klavierkonzerte/hnum/7547854

It's not quite complete, but it's certainly well known and received.
Regards,
Navneeth

Renfield

Quote from: Opus106 on February 03, 2010, 09:11:16 AM
Here's another set for your consideration.
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-23-Klavierkonzerte/hnum/7547854

It's not quite complete, but it's certainly well known and received.

Marriner would put me off from it, but that's a very good price indeed. Hmm.

Scarpia

Quote from: Renfield on February 03, 2010, 09:13:23 AM
Marriner would put me off from it, but that's a very good price indeed. Hmm.

If you can find it, this one can't be beat.  Both orchestra and piano handled with pluck.

Lethevich

Elgarian -

Maybe take the opportunity to buy seperate discs by various performers (with as little duplication as possible). Your worries about the Masur set are a good way to look at things - screw anything other than excellence in such widely-recorded repertoire, it's a waste of money no matter how much it costs.

Opus106 seems to have uncovered a gem. I was not aware the Brendel set was now so affordable. Brendel turns out gold in Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert, and Marriner and his band tend to make good accompanists.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

Quote from: Lethe on February 03, 2010, 09:32:53 AM
Opus106 seems to have uncovered a gem. I was not aware the Brendel set was now so affordable. Brendel turns out gold in Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert, and Marriner and his band tend to make good accompanists.

It has been available for some months now; it's one of those only-available-in-Germany sets that I don't like to talk too much about. Incidentally, all his Schubert recordings are also available in a similarly-priced 7-CD box. Also available only in Germany. ::)
Regards,
Navneeth

listener

Quote from: Scarpia on February 03, 2010, 09:19:22 AM
If you can find it, this one can't be beat.  Both orchestra and piano handled with pluck.

Piano and orchestra both pizzicato?
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Scarpia

Quote from: listener on February 03, 2010, 09:44:50 AM
Piano and orchestra both pizzicato?

Smart ass!  Pluck in the figurative sense of the word, my friend.