The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

On the ballet boxes, are they excerpts from the ballets or the full scores?

ETA: Saw the info on an earlier page - excerpts.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: stingo on February 26, 2010, 08:20:13 AM
On the ballet boxes, are they excerpts from the ballets or the full scores?

ETA: Saw the info on an earlier page - excerpts.

Appears that the EMI is excerpts. The Decca MAsterpieces box appears to be mostly complete. Fete du Ballet is a mix (and is mostly rarer stuff).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

nigeld

Before we all get bored with the anniversary year for Chopin.....

I thought this 6cd box from EMI was good value at £9.50 although maybe too much of a mixture of artists.   I decided instead to go for the 10cd set of Rubinstein for £28 from MDT.  Still pretty good value I think?

Soli Deo Gloria

Manos

For this weekend, ArkivMusic is selling Stile Antico's new album for $14.99, the lowest price I've found.

Scarpia

Got this one, 5 cds, for 6.73 pounds, plus 3 pounds shipping.  A few days ago got Gary Cooper's WTC on ASV for 3.99 pounds.

zoverstocks, a marketplace seller on amazon.co.uk has some very fine deals.  I have my fingers crossed regarding their shipping and customer service.

Renfield

Quote from: Scarpia on March 22, 2010, 08:22:09 AM
Got this one, 5 cds, for 6.73 pounds, plus 3 pounds shipping.  A few days ago got Gary Cooper's WTC on ASV for 3.99 pounds.

zoverstocks, a marketplace seller on amazon.co.uk has some very fine deals.  I have my fingers crossed regarding their shipping and customer service.

I am also keeping my eye on that very seller, for that very item.

Do let us know how it turns out; I'm a little worried by just how good an offer this is for a new copy, even from 'overstock'...

Novi

Quote from: Scarpia on March 22, 2010, 08:22:09 AM

I've bought from this seller before - both used and new items - no problems. :)
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

AnthonyAthletic

I too have bought over 20 items over the last year from ZOverstocks UK.  They have always delivered within 3 - 5 days from UK to UK addresses and their prices really are that good.  I've picked up many full price discs for £1.25 down to 25p!!!  ;D

My best buys from them were the RVW Symphonies, 7cd Naxos set for £4, I currently have some Schnittke and Bruckner's 8th on order at just over £1 each, the Bruckner a 2cd set off the beaten path version by D R Davies.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Elgarian

Quote from: Renfield on March 22, 2010, 09:42:08 AM
I am also keeping my eye on that very seller, for that very item. [Elgar/Andrew Davis set]

Do let us know how it turns out; I'm a little worried by just how good an offer this is for a new copy, even from 'overstock'...
For what it's worth, I think there are some fine performances in that box, though it's perhaps a bit uneven. I listened to it for the first time in a little cottage tucked into the side of the Malvern Hills, and wasn't disappointed by anything that I heard. His Enigma and Cockaigne are particularly good, and although I seem to recall that Penguin Guide thought little of his 1st symphony, I find it very satisfying. Seeing this exposure of it here inclines me to blow the dust off it and spin the discs again.

AnthonyAthletic

Three nice bargains, delivered yesterday.  The first two are at £1.06p each, the Schnittke at £1.24p each.

I'm still working on the Mozart 21st, but the 9th is really lovely playing.  Vibrant, bouncy and everything the Jeunehomme should be.  Loved it.

The Bruckner 8th with DRD won't be everyone's cup of tea, read the reviews to see about the changes to this edition.  A good stoic performance, not quite top 10...maybe top 20, still it was enjoyable, nonetheless.

Just couldn't turn Schnittke down, especially at this price, on the Profil label.  Looking forward to this later this evening, when all is quiet.

Mozart - Piano Concertos Nos 9 & 21 - Sony
Lawrence Foster (Conductor), North German Radio Symphony Orchestra
Yu Kosuge (Piano)
Here: Mozart 9-21

Bruckner - Symphony 8 in C Minor (Dennis Russell Davies - Bruckner Orch Linz)
Here: Bruckner 8

Schnittke - Cello & Piano Works - Tatjana Geringas (Piano)
Here: Schnittke Cello

8)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Lethevich

Tony - thanks, I picked up the Schnittke. I'm used to marketplace sellers going that low at times, but with free shipping, it's even nicer when Amazon does it.

Edit: found some more, for those interested -

It looks like the £1.24 bracket is a loss - only the Schnittke is in it, so no wins there.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Orpheus

Just ordered by amazon.fr for a incredible price!

Orpheus  :P

Scarpia

I don't know if this qualifies as "super-duper", but picked this one up, new for $33, on Amazon Marketplace.

Used the proceeds from selling the Neumann/Czech, which was really dull.

DavidW

Considering the price that cycle used to cost, that is super! :)

Scarpia

There's also this

for $15.  The question is how much would they have to pay me to listen to it.   >:D  If they had put out the Bruggens set instead in would have been more interesting.

snyprrr

Just to let you know the Bvhaast site is having a great sale. Many things are 5 EU and 2.50 EU. I got a few things that were over $40 on Amazon! Check it out!

Que

Quote from: snyprrr on May 22, 2010, 06:06:52 AM
Just to let you know the Bvhaast site is having a great sale. Many things are 5 EU and 2.50 EU. I got a few things that were over $40 on Amazon! Check it out!

And here is the link:

Q