The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

It's a full Bruckner cycle, with Te Deum, on 11 CDs, for 10 euros at JPC. I don't know much about the recordings, but there are sound samples for every track.

For 6 euros, a GREAT deal. Piano lovers, buy!

Not as super-duper a bargain as the others at 20 euros, but you get 7 Lehar operettas.

ammar

Lethevich

Just to point out that 6 months later, Naxos Direct UK's "new year" sale is still on. Sadly they only ship inside the UK, but for those fortunate (for once) enough to live here shipping is free, and there are some freakish bargains (DaCapo full price discs for £3, for eg):

http://www.naxosdirect.co.uk/page/new%20year%20sale
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Coopmv

Quote from: ammar on June 15, 2010, 03:15:00 PM

A mere snip at only 19 euros per disc - http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00118YMAE/  ::)

No matter.  Karajan is still the god of classical music in Japan and the Japanese will buy these special editions with both hands ...

ammar

Some bargains to be had today, but you'll have to work for them...

One of Amazon.co.uk's major marketplace sellers, Zoverstocks, has a number of classical CDs reduced to £2.98. Now, I know they're all listed as used but, having had numerous dealings with them, I'd say that 80% of their used CDs are 'as new', and the remaining 20% show very minor signs of use. Through my great powers of deduction, I'm guessing that they resell stock returned from major UK retailers (a la Entertainment UK's old Amazon.co.uk presence, Directoffers - EUK was the distribution arm of the 'dearly departed' Woolworths store, FYI).

So...

Go here -  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html?node=125553011

Do a search for the label you're interested in, sort price from low to high, get to the £2.98 mark and hopefully there will be something of interest. Try Hyperion first and you'll see what I mean.

(Best bet is to stick to the independents; I've just ordered a bundle (what is the proper collective term for CDs?) of Hyperion, Bis and Coro CDs)

Happy hunting ;D

Brian

Quote from: ammar on June 27, 2010, 04:36:06 AM
Some bargains to be had today, but you'll have to work for them...

One of Amazon.co.uk's major marketplace sellers, Zoverstocks, has a number of classical CDs reduced to £2.98. Now, I know they're all listed as used but, having had numerous dealings with them, I'd say that 80% of their used CDs are 'as new', and the remaining 20% show very minor signs of use. Through my great powers of deduction, I'm guessing that they resell stock returned from major UK retailers (a la Entertainment UK's old Amazon.co.uk presence, Directoffers - EUK was the distribution arm of the 'dearly departed' Woolworths store, FYI).

So...

Go here -  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html?node=125553011

Do a search for the label you're interested in, sort price from low to high, get to the £2.98 mark and hopefully there will be something of interest. Try Hyperion first and you'll see what I mean.

(Best bet is to stick to the independents; I've just ordered a bundle (what is the proper collective term for CDs?) of Hyperion, Bis and Coro CDs)

Happy hunting ;D

They have several volumes of Jeno Jando's Beethoven piano sonatas available for as low as £0.01! At that price, I find them hard to resist.

But...what will shipping to America cost?

ammar

Quote from: Brian on June 27, 2010, 10:33:58 AM
They have several volumes of Jeno Jando's Beethoven piano sonatas available for as low as £0.01! At that price, I find them hard to resist.

But...what will shipping to America cost?

I'm guessing that the standard marketplace shipping rates apply - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3149611

All my (domestic) orders were dispatched individually, don't know if they would 'parcel up' overseas orders - I've fallen foul of that method in the past (domestic sales tax + import tax + courier's administrative charge :o) )

Brian

Holy crap! I found 20 CDs adding up to 20 pounds' worth of goods, but the shipping charge is 58 quid - adding up to $123 US dollars for a bunch of overstocked old Naxos CDs! No way. If only I were in England :-/

Sergeant Rock

Carlos Kleiber's DG recordings have been boxed; 12 CDs for 35 Euro.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 28, 2010, 05:44:44 AM
Carlos Kleiber's DG recordings have been boxed; 12 CDs for 35 Euro.

Sarge

Too bad I have all the orchestral works sans the Schubert 3rd, and I'm not interested in (the) opera(s) right now. DG have also released a 10-DVD set with live performances including two years of the of VPO New Year's Concert.
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Opus106 on June 28, 2010, 06:14:04 AM
Too bad I have all the orchestral works sans the Schubert 3rd, and I'm not interested in [the] opera right now. DG have also released a 10-DVD set with live performances including two years of the of VPO New Year's Concert.

I already have everything, including the operas. I was considering the box, though, just to get the CD version of Freischütz (I've been making do with the LPs) but noticed the regular edition of the opera is only 18 Euro now. So...no box for me.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Coopmv on June 23, 2010, 05:01:07 PM
No matter.  Karajan is still the god of classical music in Japan and the Japanese will buy these special editions with both hands ...

Not they won't

Scarpia

Quote from: jo jo starbuck on June 28, 2010, 05:49:04 PM
Not they won't

If DG had done what EMI did, and package his entire discography in a very compact package, I probably would have bought it.  I have enough of his old CDs in their original CD editions, that I could probably have sold them to fanatics on ebay and raised enough money to offset the megaset.  But, it was not to be.

listener

There's a "Complete Bach" box coming from Brilliant next month (Presto news)
J.S. Bach: Complete Edition    (CD - 157 discs)  $159.49
157CD+2DVD+1DVD-ROM.
Complete works on CD
MANY NEW AND PERIOD-INSTRUMENT RECORDINGS
Includes Diapason award-winning recordings
NEW EDITION INCLUDES MARKUS-PASSION
DVDs of Matthäus Passion & Johannes-Passion
COMPLETE SCORES ON DVD-ROM
Sung texts and translations booklet notes & biographies
Brilliant Classics Complete Editions - 94050 

Scheduled for release on 9 August 2010.
That's all the info for now. 
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Opus106

Quote from: listener on June 30, 2010, 10:08:14 AM
157CD+2DVD+1DVD-ROM.
Complete works on CD
MANY NEW AND PERIOD-INSTRUMENT RECORDINGS
Includes Diapason award-winning recordings
NEW EDITION INCLUDES MARKUS-PASSION
DVDs of Matthäus Passion & Johannes-Passion
COMPLETE SCORES ON DVD-ROM
Sung texts and translations booklet notes & biographies
Brilliant Classics Complete Editions - 94050 

Scheduled for release on 9 August 2010.
That's all the info for now. 

Thanks. Some of the names involved in the performances:

Kussmaul, Hengelbrock, Schornsheim, Belder, Lubotsy, ter Linden,
Preston, Pinnock, Savall, Lindberg, Fagius, Zomer, Huggett,
Berben,Wuyts,Holton,Meel,Holland Boy Choir,Mathis,Wentz,
Belder,La Stravaganza,Kirkby,Hill,Agnew,Chance,Brandenburg
Consort,The Sixteen,Christophers,Netherlands Bach

I don't know if all of them were part of the earlier box. I wonder if the recording of 1080 included in the set is the one by Hill (for Hänssler).

JPC
Regards,
Navneeth

premont

Quote from: Opus106 on June 30, 2010, 10:18:25 AM
Thanks. Some of the names involved in the performances:

Kussmaul, Hengelbrock, Schornsheim, Belder, Lubotsy, ter Linden,
Preston, Pinnock, Savall, Lindberg, Fagius, Zomer, Huggett,
Berben,Wuyts,Holton,Meel,Holland Boy Choir,Mathis,Wentz,
Belder,La Stravaganza,Kirkby,Hill,Agnew,Chance,Brandenburg
Consort,The Sixteen,Christophers,Netherlands Bach

I don't know if all of them were part of the earlier box. I wonder if the recording of 1080 included in the set is the one by Hill (for Hänssler).

It must be Martyn Hill, the English tenor!
So no new names, as far as I am concerned.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on June 30, 2010, 03:04:24 PM
It must be Martyn Hill, the English tenor!
So no new names, as far as I am concerned.

I would say the same, no new material there.

Opus106

Thanks for the clarification, gentlemen.
Regards,
Navneeth

OzRadio

Quote from: listener on June 30, 2010, 10:08:14 AM

They already did one complete Bach box set, can't they do a big fat complete Handel? I'd jump on that.

Scarpia

What I'd like is the cheapest decent recording of the complete Bach Cantatas.  I think I will probably find most of it less than riveting, but I'd like to have it.  Brilliant has a set, but I seem to recall it being panned by most people.