The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: ukrneal on September 08, 2010, 03:30:57 AM
Shame some of the discs are so short though. No reason they couldn't put some additional works on here. They have several discs of about 45 minutes and one that is 38 minutes! I realize it is a set, but still...
They have kept the original format from when these releases were on LP. I think that is a good idea and the whole point of a memorial issue like this, and as long as the price is little more than 1£ pr disc I see absolutely no problem with this, if this is the kind of thing you want musically speaking.

To have it on 30 discs at the same price would still be a wonderful bargain if you want the content, but the whole idea with original sleeves etc would be severely compromised. Quality does not always translate to numbers....so I do disagree strongly with your view. That I'm not a buyer is not related to this at all.

George

Shame some of the discs are so short though. No reason they couldn't put some additional works on here. They have several discs of about 45 minutes and one that is 38 minutes! I realize it is a set, but still...

Yes, I notice the box isn't green.  8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Yes, I think it's a ghastly idea to stick it to the consumer like this. No reason at all - commemorative issue or not - not to fill up the discs to the fullest. Most folks buying this set won't have even SEEN the original LPs anyway so the nostalgia angle makes no sense.

To me packing the CDs to the fullest would be truly commemorative!
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Scarpia

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 08, 2010, 08:31:42 AM
Yes, I think it's a ghastly idea to stick it to the consumer like this. No reason at all - commemorative issue or not - not to fill up the discs to the fullest. Most folks buying this set won't have even SEEN the original LPs anyway so the nostalgia angle makes no sense.

To me packing the CDs to the fullest would be truly commemorative!

How is it "sticking it to the consumer" when the price is so low?  The cost of the disc itself is very small compared to the other costs associated with production, so if they had rearranged the material to fit on fewer discs the amount they would have had to charge to make the same profit would be only slightly less.

I don't plan on getting this series since I already have a lot of the material.  I did get two installments from the "Argerich Collection."  There they have retained the original LP programs (and cover art) on the individual CDs and I find it an enhancement worth paying a few extra dollars for.   Having the music arranged chronologically by LP release gives more perspective on the development of the performer.  I probably wouldn't have gotten the releases if not for the distinctive packaging and organization.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on September 08, 2010, 08:47:05 AM
How is it "sticking it to the consumer" when the price is so low?  The cost of the disc itself is very small compared to the other costs associated with production, so if they had rearranged the material to fit on fewer discs the amount they would have had to charge to make the same profit would be only slightly less.

?

If the cost of the discs isn't the issue then FILLING THEM UP should be priority number one!!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

The new erato

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 08, 2010, 09:06:58 AM
?

If the cost of the discs isn't the issue then FILLING THEM UP should be priority number one!!
No. This is a memorial issue celebrating DG 111 years, filling up the discs and charging the same price for 35 discs would simply mean that instead of copies of the glorious original covers, you would get some cheapo cardboard holders instead. Then you would be really screwed. Price and value is two distinctly different issues, as Oscar Wilde pointed out. Music is about sentiments and value, not price.

Scarpia

Quote from: erato on September 08, 2010, 09:31:50 AM
No. This is a memorial issue celebrating DG 111 years, filling up the discs and charging the same price for 35 discs would simply mean that instead of copies of the glorious original covers, you would get some cheapo cardboard holders instead. Then you would be really screwed. Price and value is two distinctly different issues, as Oscar Wilde pointed out. Music is about sentiments and value, not price.

Exactly, and the same applies to the Argerich Collection, in which the individual discs are packaged in sleeves that show the original LP cover art.  It may cost a bit more to package them this way, but in the case of the Argerich edition, for example, I think it is worth it.

George

Quote from: Scarpia on September 08, 2010, 09:38:33 AM
Exactly, and the same applies to the Argerich Collection, in which the individual discs are packaged in sleeves that show the original LP cover art.  It may cost a bit more to package them this way, but in the case of the Argerich edition, for example, I think it is worth it.

I thought it was a nice touch on the Argerich set, although the rear art is very hard to read on some, impossible in others.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: erato on September 08, 2010, 09:31:50 AM

Well, what is this sentiment you are referring to? There isn't even a "DG" anymore!! It's all Universal. So you won't see me falling for THAT old trick! ;D

The new erato

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 08, 2010, 09:28:47 PM
There isn't even a "DG" anymore!! It's all Universal.
That's what makes it so sentimental.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: erato on September 08, 2010, 09:30:21 PM
That's what makes it so sentimental.

I suppose. But with the Giant Conglomerate® having their marketing hand in it I'm still leery. :)

Scarpia

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 08, 2010, 09:37:44 PM
I suppose. But with the Giant Conglomerate® having their marketing hand in it I'm still leery. :)

The giant conglomerate is making a wider variety of recordings available at a lower price that the original labels ever did, and with packaging that pays homage to the original releases.  What exactly are you complaining about?

(I know, they don't make many new recordings.  Why would they, with the size of back catalog they are sitting on?)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on September 08, 2010, 09:43:36 PM
What exactly are you complaining about?

It's pretty simple. Universal could've jettisoned the silly "sentiment" thing and commemorated DG's past passing by giving us something with modern relevance. Not empty space on CDs.

And anyway, 111??

The new erato

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 08, 2010, 09:56:25 PM
It's pretty simple. Universal could've jettisoned the silly "sentiment" thing and commemorated DG's past passing by giving us something with modern relevance. Not empty space on CDs.

And anyway, 111??
Well.....you just been giving several reasons why that wasn't the point at all. So why do you keep harping on it? Just accept the fact that this release isn't meant for you. DG has given us tons of stuff with modern relevance over the years, like their 20/21 series. But those instead, I'm sure some of them are up to your 78 minute ideal.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: erato on September 08, 2010, 10:02:21 PM
Well.....you just been giving several reasons why that wasn't the point at all. So why do you keep harping on it? Just accept the fact that this release isn't meant for you. DG has given us tons of stuff with modern relevance over the years, like their 20/21 series. But those instead, I'm sure some of them are up to your 78 minute ideal.

Who's harping? You and Scarpia gave YOUR two cents (and then some), I came along and gave mine, and here we are. What's the beef?

Scarpia

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 08, 2010, 09:56:25 PM

And anyway, 111??

What possible difference would it have made if they had squeezed that music onto a smaller number of CD and charged essentially the same price? 

You are like a person who goes into a fancy restaurant and orders fillet mignon, then upon being served, complains that there is empty space on the plate that could have been filled with more food.  What will the waiter do?   Come out with the same fillet mignon on a smaller plate.   :P

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Scarpia on September 08, 2010, 10:36:52 PM
What possible difference would it have made if they had squeezed that music onto a smaller number of CD and charged essentially the same price? 
Ah, but what if they had squeezed more music onto the same number of discs. You'd be getting a better bang for your buck (and more music to enjoy). You are right though - this release is not for us. I think we can all agree on that.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Scarpia on September 08, 2010, 10:36:52 PMYou are like a person who goes into a fancy restaurant and orders fillet mignon, then upon being served, complains that there is empty space on the plate that could have been filled with more food.  What will the waiter do?   Come out with the same fillet mignon on a smaller plate.   :P

Try telling that to a food critic!!!! :P :P

(But if you're still not clear about where I'm coming from simply read urkneal's last post. He gets the picture...)

The new erato

It's all very simple really. Buy the set, rip the contents to 35 CD-R's, put them all in plain brown wrappers in the box, and you've got the set you want at the price DG would have to charge for a similar packaging, since that would have far less customers. That way you get what you want, and DGs intended customers get what they want, and everybody's happy.