The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Il Furioso on November 23, 2010, 03:55:15 AM
Yes, at that price for the set I purchased without thinking twice.
Is thinking twice an option? I didn't know that..........

Brian

Quote from: erato on November 23, 2010, 10:27:22 PM
Is thinking twice an option? I didn't know that..........

I thought twice.  :( I've decided to buy the box later, as a gift to myself for completing grad school applications.

Scarpia

Maybe this has been listed before, but after listen to some Faure today I couldn't resist it any longer.

Faure, complete chamber music, Brilliant classics, licensed recordings from labels such as Hyperion and Claves.  Fine artists, and excluding VAT less than £10 for 5 discs at www.mdt.co.uk.

Opus106

Quote from: Scarpia on November 27, 2010, 10:34:59 AM
Maybe this has been listed before, but after listen to some Faure today I couldn't resist it any longer.

Faure, complete chamber music, Brilliant classics, licensed recordings from labels such as Hyperion and Claves.  Fine artists, and excluding VAT less than £10 for 5 discs at www.mdt.co.uk.

The very French equivalent from EMI, which is recommended in these parts, is available for more or less the same price at Presto (and perhaps at MDT as well -- their shipping policy may cancel the price advantage out).
Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Quote from: Opus106 on November 27, 2010, 11:11:25 AM
The very French equivalent from EMI, which is recommended in these parts, is available for more or less the same price at Presto (and perhaps at MDT as well -- their shipping policy may cancel the price advantage out).

I have half of that EMI set (from the days when they were selling it as volume I and volume II).  It has that French authority thing going for it, but it also has EMI France engineering working against it, at times.  The Brilliant set is taken from recent recordings made by labels with stirling reputations for audio engineering (as well as good artists).  Probably we all need both sets.   8)

Conor71

Quote from: Scarpia on November 27, 2010, 10:34:59 AM

I have that set and really enjoy it! - happy listening :).

Grazioso

Quote from: Orpheus on November 27, 2010, 07:11:39 AM
A steal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000J0ZPH4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Orpheus  ;)

While this set contains good things, be aware that many of the recordings are from the 60's and leave something to be desired in the sound department. The Mozart set from that series is probably the better buy, imo.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

premont

Quote from: Orpheus on November 27, 2010, 07:11:39 AM
A steal?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000J0ZPH4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Yes 20 £ for all this is a steal.

Among others the Hungarian Quartet`s Quartet cycle, Eric Heidsieck`s Sonata cycle and Cluytens´ Symphony cycle and much more. SQ generally more than acceptable. I admit that neither of these recordings would be my first choice, but I rate them rather highly, among top ten.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

listener

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

not edward

Quote from: Scarpia on November 27, 2010, 05:38:17 PM
Probably we all need both sets.   8)
QFT.

It's Fauré's chamber music, after all (I confess to remaining baffled as to why this superlative music isn't better known).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Antoine Marchand

Price on MDT:$95.46/ $81.24 ex.VAT

:o :o :o

Opus106

Works out to nearly $100 if I include shipping. On the other hand, Presto is currently selling it at about couple of Dollars less, and if you add the $3 standard shipping, it comes to the ex. VAT price at MDT. Anyway, I don't think either really qualify as an SDCB, IMO. Bargains, yes... but not Super-duper cheap. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Yeah, the original meaning of the thread was CDs for less than, say, $1, but I think it almost immediately came to include box sets totaling about $1/disc... but still, let's not complain. Otherwise, we could hire Henk to dictate the thread rules.  ;D

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on November 30, 2010, 10:13:57 AM
but still, let's not complain. Otherwise, we could hire Henk to dictate the thread rules.  ;D

But seeing a new post in this thread raises my hopes up, creates that fleeting moment of happiness in a life within this cruel, cruel world. :(  :-[

:D
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: nigeld on September 06, 2010, 07:58:56 AM
OK, finally taken the plunge on this box set that I've been considering for a little while.

£100 inc shipping from US to UK.

£1.60 per disc probably qualifies it for super-duper cheap

That's a fine series. I own almost all of them. My favorite of the series is still Reiner's Bartok recording, which really set a new standard for excellence not only in performance, but in audio quality as well.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on November 30, 2010, 10:00:59 AM
... Anyway, I don't think either really qualify as an SDCB, IMO. Bargains, yes... but not Super-duper cheap. :)

Excuse me, dear Navneeth, but this kind of discussion is so boooooooooring...  ;D

Opus106

Who's discussing? I was simply stating a fact, and that's that. End of discussion. >:(

;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 30, 2010, 09:39:22 AM

Price on MDT:$95.46/ $81.24 ex.VAT

:o :o :o

And £61.25/ €72.61 (incl. VAT) Which is indeed pretty cheap. I got it the introductory price on reissue - around €69, if I remember well.
This is the very first time I've seen it come back down that low, so that was a good decision. 8)

Q