The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Il Furioso on December 04, 2010, 05:00:52 AM
Sound is rubbish, better off with the Dante, Pearl, or Naxos transfers and paying a little extra.

Seconded, especially for the Naxos, which (of the three options) is luckily also the cheapest, best sounding and easiest way to get these performances.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 04, 2010, 05:34:15 AM
Seconded, especially for the Naxos, which (of the three options) is luckily also the cheapest, best sounding and easiest way to get these performances.

I am all set with my Schnabel's Beethoven Piano Sonatas on Naxos Historical.  Thanks for your recommendation, George.   :)

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 04, 2010, 08:02:19 AM
I am all set with my Schnabel's Beethoven Piano Sonatas on Naxos Historical.  Thanks for your recommendation, George.   :)

My pleasure, glad you enjoy them.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 04, 2010, 09:05:04 AM
My pleasure, glad you enjoy them.

I am now enjoying those Chopin CD's by Kemal Gekic you have also recommended, though they are nowhere close to being Super-Duper Cheap Bargains ...    :P

George

Quote from: Coopmv on December 04, 2010, 09:09:37 AM
I am now enjoying those Chopin CD's by Kemal Gekic you have also recommended, though they are nowhere close to being Super-Duper Cheap Bargains ...    :P

Still, they are worth every penny.  8)

Coopmv

Sometimes, you can find a Super-Duper Cheap Bargain with a little foresight.  I bought this Toscanini Wagner 2 years ago for $12.99 IIRC.  It is now OOP and the only one available on Amazon US has an asking price of almost $100 ...    :o

Coopmv

Quote from: George on December 04, 2010, 09:29:54 AM
Still, they are worth every penny.  8)

Absolutely.  Kemal Gekic is one piano virtuoso I have never heard of until a few months ago ...

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on December 04, 2010, 09:39:56 AM
Sometimes, you can find a Super-Duper Cheap Bargain with a little foresight.  I bought this Toscanini Wagner 2 years ago for $12.99 IIRC.  It is now OOP and the only one available on Amazon US has an asking price of almost $100 ...    :o
Yes, if one buys everything this is bound to happen sooner or later......

Harry

Quote from: Orpheus on December 05, 2010, 07:57:05 AM
Harry, I saw it at euros 9,99 some months ago...

The complete Haydn Symphonies for 9,99, darn I wish you would have told me, I would have bought it right away.

Brian

You're a magician, Orpheus. How do you find all of these??
EDIT: You don't have to say, if you want to keep amazing all of us  8)

Harry

Quote from: Orpheus on December 05, 2010, 08:25:11 AM
Harry, if you are interested in Italian opera, try this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000ICM70Q/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1291569881&sr=1-1&condition=new

Orpheus ;)

Alas, my friend, opera is not my thing, but there are countless others on GMG that are, so this link will come in handy, and if you ever see this box again for 9, 95 let me know. :)

Coopmv

Scarpia

Quote from: Orpheus on December 05, 2010, 07:57:05 AM
Harry, I saw it at euros 9,99 some months ago...

That's the one with applause after each piece.  For 10 Euros I'd pass it up.

scarlattiglenross

Haydn - The Complete String Quartets (Aeolian Quartet) for £36.37 at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Complete-String-Quartets-J/dp/B001QBXFTA/

Quote from: On An Overgrown PathListening to this wonderfully inventive and forward-looking music really shows how wrong we are to categorise Hayn as a 'safe' composer. Joseph Haydn may not be neglected today, but he is certainly misunderstood.

The Aeolian's Haydn Quartet cycle was recorded in analogue sound between 1973 and 1976. Back then vinyl was still the pre-eminent playback format, and the Compact Cassette (remember that?) was merely a low-fi option for sound on the move, rather like MP3 today. The sound from the CD transfers of the Haydn is truly astonishing; there is an immediacy and body to the string sound that is rarely heard in more recent recordings, even when SACD and other miraculous technology is invoked.
http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

Brian

The Naxos Mahler cycle (1-10), with the Polish Radio Orchestra and Warsaw Philharmonic conducted by Antoni Wit, Michael Halasz, and Robert Olson, is available for 320kbps MP3 download from ArkivMusic for $19.99. It's USA only, so I can't give you a link, but the advert is on their homepage.

evanft

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I was browsing the last couple pages of this thread and was shocked to see no mention of the recent EMI box set blowout that ImportCDs had on their web site right before Thanksgiving. There were a few people over at the Steve Hoffman forum who heard about it in the classical thread, and I know a some of them post here.

Anywho, they had HUGE discounts on box sets from EMI. I'm talking like 90%+ off. Here's what I got:

$11.16   Alban Berg Quartet-Beethoven: The Complete String Quartets
$15.26   Bruckner: The Complete Symphonies by Jochum
$14.68   Maria Callas, The Complete Studio Recordings 1949-1969
$15.13   Aldo Ciccolini-Complete Emi Recordings 1950-1991
$13.93   Aldo Ciccolini-Satie: Piano Works (I found this on the site before the complete set, I'm gonna sell it)
$13.28   Composers In Person
$11.33   Elgar: The Collector's Edition
$10.96   Karajan-The Complete Emi Recordings 1946-1984, Vol. 1: Orchestral
$10.96   Karajan-The Complete Emi Recordings 1946-1984, Vol. 2: Opera & Vocal
$8.33   David Oistrakh: The Complete Recordings
$15.28   Mstislav Rostropovich: Complete Emi Recordings
$10.53   Paul Tortelier -The Great Emi Recordings
$11.13   Vaughan Williams: The Collector's Edition

Yeah, it was insane. The sale lasted about 2 days. A lot of the sets I ordered were out of stock, but they have since honored the prices and shipped everything. I just got the Callas set today.

Just a heads up to everyone to keep an eye out on their web site.