The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: evanft on December 10, 2010, 08:17:32 PM
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I was browsing the last couple pages of this thread and was shocked to see no mention of the recent EMI box set blowout that ImportCDs had on their web site right before Thanksgiving. There were a few people over at the Steve Hoffman forum who heard about it in the classical thread, and I know a some of them post here.

Anywho, they had HUGE discounts on box sets from EMI. I'm talking like 90%+ off. Here's what I got:

$11.16   Alban Berg Quartet-Beethoven: The Complete String Quartets
$15.26   Bruckner: The Complete Symphonies by Jochum
$14.68   Maria Callas, The Complete Studio Recordings 1949-1969
$15.13   Aldo Ciccolini-Complete Emi Recordings 1950-1991
$13.93   Aldo Ciccolini-Satie: Piano Works (I found this on the site before the complete set, I'm gonna sell it)
$13.28   Composers In Person
$11.33   Elgar: The Collector's Edition
$10.96   Karajan-The Complete Emi Recordings 1946-1984, Vol. 1: Orchestral
$10.96   Karajan-The Complete Emi Recordings 1946-1984, Vol. 2: Opera & Vocal
$8.33   David Oistrakh: The Complete Recordings
$15.28   Mstislav Rostropovich: Complete Emi Recordings
$10.53   Paul Tortelier -The Great Emi Recordings
$11.13   Vaughan Williams: The Collector's Edition

Yeah, it was insane. The sale lasted about 2 days. A lot of the sets I ordered were out of stock, but they have since honored the prices and shipped everything. I just got the Callas set today.

Just a heads up to everyone to keep an eye out on their web site.
Welcome! Those are some unreal prices!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Harry

Quote from: ukrneal on December 11, 2010, 02:15:54 AM
Welcome! Those are some unreal prices!

Yeah especially the orchestral Karajan, would be nice if there would have been a link, if its still available:)

evanft

Quote from: Harry on December 11, 2010, 02:32:38 AM
Yeah especially the orchestral Karajan, would be nice if there would have been a link, if its still available:)

The sale lasted about 2 days and has been over for about 2 weeks. The ImportCDs website is just www.importCDs.com

Coopmv

Quote from: evanft on December 11, 2010, 04:37:28 AM
The sale lasted about 2 days and has been over for about 2 weeks. The ImportCDs website is just www.importCDs.com

I paid on average $1.50 per CD for the Vaughan Williams: The Collector's Edition set at Amazon US.  The ImportCD price would have been about $0.40 per CD.  I have not bought from ImportCD in months, its packaging is the worse among the Amazon MP vendors.  I have not received any orders from them without any busted CD jewel cases in a very long time ...    :-\

Scarpia

Quote from: evanft on December 11, 2010, 04:37:28 AM

It would have been helpful if you had posted that before the sale ended.   ::)

Coopmv

Quote from: Scarpia on December 11, 2010, 09:45:24 AM
It would have been helpful if you had posted that before the sale ended.   ::)

The insane prices at which ImportCD was selling these CD sets might have something to do with the precarious financial condition of EMI, which is now doing all it can to maximize its cash flows.  Back in last spring, I read an article that the private equity group that did the LBO on EMI might have to let EMI go into bankruptcy since it was in danger of violating the debt covenant with Citigroup.  Perhaps ImportCD itself is in trouble as well ...

Scarpia

Quote from: Coopmv on December 11, 2010, 09:59:05 AM
The insane prices at which ImportCD was selling these CD sets might have something to do with the precarious financial condition of EMI, which is now doing all it can to maximize its cash flows.  Back in last spring, I read an article that the private equity group that did the LBO on EMI might have to let EMI go into bankruptcy since it was in danger of violating the debt covenant with Citigroup.  Perhaps ImportCD itself is in trouble as well ...

I suspect ImportCD needed to raise cash and get rid of some idle inventory.  EMI may or may not be near bankruptcy, but classical music is a small part of their business and their financial position presumably depends on their pop music business more than anything else.

It would be a shame if ImportCD disappeared.  Their prices are low, and tend to push everyone else's prices down, so you benefit from them even if you don't buy from them.  I've gotten a fair amount of stuff from ImportCD, but they ship from California so I normally prefer similar vendors that ship from the east coast.  The one time I had a problem with one of the products I got from them they were very efficient in issuing a refund.

Coopmv

Quote from: Scarpia on December 11, 2010, 10:20:49 AM
I suspect ImportCD needed to raise cash and get rid of some idle inventory.  EMI may or may not be near bankruptcy, but classical music is a small part of their business and their financial position presumably depends on their pop music business more than anything else.

It would be a shame if ImportCD disappeared.  Their prices are low, and tend to push everyone else's prices down, so you benefit from them even if you don't buy from them.  I've gotten a fair amount of stuff from ImportCD, but they ship from California so I normally prefer similar vendors that ship from the east coast.  The one time I had a problem with one of the products I got from them they were very efficient in issuing a refund.

I agree with you that ImportCD has put lots of pricing pressure on other Amazon MP vendors.  As such, I do benefit from its pricing even though I no longer buy from it that often ...

71 dB

Quote from: evanft on December 10, 2010, 08:17:32 PM
$11.33   Elgar: The Collector's Edition

What the hell? I have been waiting for this set to get cheap for ages but it is not happening. I already own about half of the box and that's why I am unwilling to pay much for it. $43.43 on Amazon.com and £33.35 on Amazon.co.uk.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on December 12, 2010, 04:05:29 AM
What the hell? I have been waiting for this set to get cheap for ages but it is not happening. I already own about half of the box and that's why I am unwilling to pay much for it. $43.43 on Amazon.com and £33.35 on Amazon.co.uk.

Yes, it would have been handy if the poster that knew about it, would have alerted us right away, it only lasted 2 days, but comes wandering in and proclaims what fine deals he had, but o, yeah, sorry guys the sale is over:(

canninator

Quote from: Orpheus on November 22, 2010, 01:01:41 PM
For Chopin's fans...

...look here!
http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B003DQIQ7C/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1290462488&sr=1-5&condition=new

Orpheus  ;)

Too good to be true. I had been waiting on this for a while and the marketplace vendor just e-mailed me to say they cannot provide this and are refunding me.  :(

George

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/50sa20101214.html?cmpid=SA_20101214

Half off any single item at Borders, for the next three days. If you don't already have one, the required Borders Rewards  membership is free and can be obtained in any store within a few minutes.

evanft

Quote from: Harry on December 12, 2010, 04:13:11 AM
Yes, it would have been handy if the poster that knew about it, would have alerted us right away, it only lasted 2 days, but comes wandering in and proclaims what fine deals he had, but o, yeah, sorry guys the sale is over:(

I only found out about the sale at the tail end. By the time I thought to come post about it, it was already over.

nigeld

Following up  a recommendation from another thread to buy a double cd from the Florestan Trio in Brahms, I went to the Hyperion website and saw it there for £23.  Ouch!

I then visited Amazon and found this box on for £33.  It contains the music I was looking for plus another 10discs.  Top notch ensembles as far as I can see.

Bargain time!

Soli Deo Gloria

MN Dave

Quote from: nigeld on December 17, 2010, 05:25:19 AM
Following up  a recommendation from another thread to buy a double cd from the Florestan Trio in Brahms, I went to the Hyperion website and saw it there for £23.  Ouch!

I then visited Amazon and found this box on for £33.  It contains the music I was looking for plus another 10discs.  Top notch ensembles as far as I can see.

Bargain time!

Well done. Thanks.

mc ukrneal

Bargain time!
I had picked it up for $14 at Berkshire (no longer available), but the box is a good way to get it as it has a number of not just good performances, but great performances.

Harry

Bargain time!

You mean 80 pounds, for thats the price, on Hyperions website. Would love it for 23 pounds, so if you have a link:)
Better still could someone give me a link to the lowest price of this set ;D ;D

Harry

Quote from: ukrneal on December 17, 2010, 05:46:23 AM
I had picked it up for $14 at Berkshire (no longer available), but the box is a good way to get it as it has a number of not just good performances, but great performances.

Geez 14 dollars, Neal! Could you not have told me :( :( :(

nigeld

Quote from: Harry on December 17, 2010, 06:56:17 AM
You mean 80 pounds, for thats the price, on Hyperions website. Would love it for 23 pounds, so if you have a link:)
Better still could someone give me a link to the lowest price of this set ;D ;D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Hamelin-Lane-Power-Isserlis/dp/B001F4YGU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292601956&sr=8-1

there you go Harry
Soli Deo Gloria

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Harry on December 17, 2010, 07:00:10 AM
Geez 14 dollars, Neal! Could you not have told me :( :( :(
This was much earlier this year and I had no idea it would be so good. But I am talking about the 2CD set, not the box (just to be clear), which I don't have. The box was much talked about earlier this year at that French site sale - at least I seem to remember people posting about a very low price for it.