The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: minamazzini on January 26, 2011, 03:31:21 AM
...I was getting anxious about the Real Chopin Box set...

Anxiety is over: price back to £71.99 for that one, too, at Amazon uk.  :(
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Lethevich

My box arrived too - thanks for the heads up!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MishaK

Now reissued in cardboard sans booklet, at $35 this magnificent reference cycle is a real bargain:

[asin]B0042U2HLY[/asin]

Orpheus

Quote from: Mensch on January 26, 2011, 08:04:23 AM
Now reissued in cardboard sans booklet, at $35 this magnificent reference cycle is a real bargain:

[asin]B0042U2HLY[/asin]

Better at € 21,99... 8)

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B0042U2HLY/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1296061859&sr=1-1&condition=new

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mensch on January 26, 2011, 08:04:23 AM

[asin]B0042U2HLY[/asin]

I actually prefer the older set where there are individual jewel cases with their own inserts. I only paid $30 for mine two years ago.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2011, 08:21:50 AM
I actually prefer the older set where there are individual jewel cases with their own inserts. I only paid $30 for mine two years ago.

This set came with individual jewel cases with their own inserts.  The last 2 symphonies came in a twofer jewel case though.

Que

Quote from: masolino on January 26, 2011, 04:17:04 AM
Anxiety is over: price back to £71.99 for that one, too, at Amazon uk.  :(

I must have re-ordered that "real Chopin" box just in time yesterday!  ;D And it seems that my chances of actually getting it after all, are increasing. 8)

Q

canninator

Quote from: Que on January 26, 2011, 10:24:16 PM
I must have re-ordered that "real Chopin" box just in time yesterday!  ;D And it seems that my chances of actually getting it after all, are increasing. 8)

Q

I pre-ordered mine in Dec after an order with amazon.de fell through. Arrived yesterday, 21 CDs as advertised and I'm loving it, baby.

FideLeo

And it seems that my chances of actually getting it after all, are increasing. 8)

They'd better be :).  I have gifts for several people all lined up waiting in that queue!  ;)

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Antoine Marchand

Apparently, you will have a debt of gratitude with me, Mr. Q.  8)

Anyway, I won´t accept any liability if you only receive a nice disc of songs.  ;D

Orpheus

Lethevich

At almost 1 Euro per CD, and presumably without a single dud (if the early works came from Philips' series), this set could be an amazing seal.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Giuseppe-Verdi-S%E4mtliche-Werke/hnum/9615695

Thanks for pointing it out!

Lethevich

For some reason he reminds me of Falstaff with a bad hangover.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Lethe on January 29, 2011, 12:42:14 PM
At almost 1 Euro per CD, and presumably without a single dud (if the early works came from Philips' series), this set could be an amazing seal.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Giuseppe-Verdi-S%E4mtliche-Werke/hnum/9615695

Thanks for pointing it out!
It looks to me like a Dr J and Mr H type set. Some of the early works are fantastic and well recorded with Gardelli. But many (not all) of the most well known are not first choices. Some of them are on the old side too. But it may be that there are enough great works to still make this worth it (with a few to be complemented with other sets).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

FideLeo

Quote from: Lethe on January 29, 2011, 01:12:55 PM
For some reason he reminds me of Falstaff with a bad hangover.

In this case, sake-drinking (in bath) has just started!  :)

Scarpia

99 cds for £136 (excluding VAT) at mdt.  That's borderline super-bargain.

But that is based on the assumption that every note Liszt wrote is worth listening to, I suppose.

Orpheus

Quote from: Scarpia on January 30, 2011, 09:09:47 AM
99 cds for £136 (excluding VAT) at mdt.  That's borderline super-bargain.

But that is based on the assumption that every note Liszt wrote is worth listening to, I suppose.

I'd like to find a better offer... ::)

Scarpia

Quote from: Orpheus on January 30, 2011, 11:30:49 AM
I'd like to find a better offer... ::)
If you buy it from Hyperion's web site it is £260, so mdt is offering a steep discount.  However it is more Liszt than I will ever need to hear so I am not in the market unless there is a truly stunning discount.