The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Orpheus on January 30, 2011, 11:30:49 AM
I'd like to find a better offer... ::)

I just placed my last order with Presto Classical last week and that will be it for a while or until my past orders placed just a week before Christmas start to arrive.  I have no clue what those incompetent at the homeland security have been doing to all the trans-Atlantic packages from the UK.  Packages sent by the Royal Airmail used to take at most 10 days.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Coopmv on January 30, 2011, 12:06:04 PM
I just placed my last order with Presto Classical last week and that will be it for a while or until my past orders placed just a week before Christmas start to arrive.  I have no clue what those incompetent at the homeland security have been doing to all the trans-Atlantic packages from the UK.  Packages sent by the Royal Airmail used to take at most 10 days.
Well, on top of that there has been several feet of snow on the east coast - every few days another storm. Add holidays in and you have a general mess. On the other hand, I received an order that I'd made in mid-December just this past week, so yours will probably make it to you - eventually!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Bulldog

Quote from: Orpheus on January 30, 2011, 11:30:49 AM
I'd like to find a better offer... ::)

A better pianist than Howard wouldn't be a bad move either.

Coopmv

Quote from: ukrneal on January 30, 2011, 12:36:00 PM
Well, on top of that there has been several feet of snow on the east coast - every few days another storm. Add holidays in and you have a general mess. On the other hand, I received an order that I'd made in mid-December just this past week, so yours will probably make it to you - eventually!

Weather alone cannot explain such delay - 4 weeks and counting.  How many days does it usually take for airmail to arrive from the UK?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Coopmv on January 30, 2011, 04:50:21 PM
Weather alone cannot explain such delay - 4 weeks and counting.  How many days does it usually take for airmail to arrive from the UK?
Well - I think the weather could have played a role. First there was the UK storm. If your order didn't get out ahead of this, I doubt it made it until at least after Christmas. THe following week there was a storm in the US, so the liklihood that your disc got out in December is close to nil. So then we are talking January 3 and it is likely still in the UK!!!! The eastern US was then hit by several storms over the next few weeks. SO service was still getting back to normal, when it was regularly hit by new delays. For example, the week of MLK holday, Monday was a day off and there were two storms that week. SO even if it got the US, if it was stuck in an eastern state (or southern state - they were hit really hard too at one point), it may been stalled even more. Anyway, I'm not trying to defend anyone (you want your discs gosh darnit!  >:D), but just show that the weather really could have played a big role.

PaulSC

Quote from: ukrneal on January 30, 2011, 10:53:23 PM
Well - I think the weather could have played a role. First there was the UK storm. If your order didn't get out ahead of this, I doubt it made it until at least after Christmas. THe following week there was a storm in the US, so the liklihood that your disc got out in December is close to nil. So then we are talking January 3 and it is likely still in the UK!!!! The eastern US was then hit by several storms over the next few weeks. SO service was still getting back to normal, when it was regularly hit by new delays. For example, the week of MLK holday, Monday was a day off and there were two storms that week. SO even if it got the US, if it was stuck in an eastern state (or southern state - they were hit really hard too at one point), it may been stalled even more. Anyway, I'm not trying to defend anyone (you want your discs gosh darnit!  >:D), but just show that the weather really could have played a big role.
Translation: Your CDs have been delayed by the flapping of a butterfly's wings.  >:D

Leon

[asin]B001R3YJS8[/asin]

$14.95 for 16 discs.

Scarpia

Quote from: Leon on January 31, 2011, 11:32:07 AM
[asin]B001R3YJS8[/asin]

$14.95 for 16 discs.

And I thought I had a great deal when I paid twice that some months ago.   :o

mc ukrneal

Abeille Musique Just thought I would mention that they have increased some of the discounts on SOME of the discs (Supraphon and Decapo, for example). In some cases the current price is only slight more (or just about) the same price I paid without VAT. I don't know how long the sale goes, but this may be of interest.

Harry

Quote from: ukrneal on January 31, 2011, 01:45:04 PM
Abeille Musique Just thought I would mention that they have increased some of the discounts on SOME of the discs (Supraphon and Decapo, for example). In some cases the current price is only slight more (or just about) the same price I paid without VAT. I don't know how long the sale goes, but this may be of interest.

Did the Supraphon, will look at Da Capo ;D

Scarpia

Back to this set.

[asin]B004G7FFF8[/asin]

For those that have this set on their radar, one more data point with respect to price.  www.abeillemusique.com has it for about 145 Euros, and shipping to the US is only 8 Euros or so, which makes the the best deal I've found so far. 

Brian

It's still all Liszt, though.  :(  If somebody donated me 145 euros, I'd probably get the Bernstein Symphony Edition* or buy as many ZigZag/Harmonia Mundi CDs as possible.

*which, if you see as a super-duper bargain, you should post forthwith please :)

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on February 05, 2011, 08:29:30 AM
It's still all Liszt, though.  :(  If somebody donated me 145 euros, I'd probably get the Bernstein Symphony Edition* or buy as many ZigZag/Harmonia Mundi CDs as possible.

*which, if you see as a super-duper bargain, you should post forthwith please :)

If someone gave me the Bernstein symphony edition I'd give it to my wife.  She uses discarded CDs to scare birds away from the tomato plants.   ;D

Seriously, if you buy 100 CDs of Liszt from the well known pianists you get at least 10 versions each of the same 10 CDs of music.  I'm curious to know what the rest of it is like.   I like to decide for myself what bits I like. 

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on February 05, 2011, 08:31:28 AM
If someone gave me the Bernstein symphony edition I'd give it to my wife.  She uses discarded CDs to scare birds away from the tomato plants.   ;D

Seriously, if you buy 100 CDs of Liszt from the well known pianists you get at least 10 versions each of the same 10 CDs of music.  I'm curious to know what the rest of it is like.   I like to decide for myself what bits I like.

Well tell you what, if somebody gives you the Bernstein and somebody gives me the Liszt, let's trade. ;)

At any rate your odds of a happy ending are better than mine: the BSE seems to already be vanishing completely from online shops. The Amazons are already at marketplace-only, ArkivMusic is clearing it out, and MDT, Presto, Europa, CD Universe, and JPC don't carry it or are permanently out of stock.

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on February 05, 2011, 08:42:17 AMAt any rate your odds of a happy ending are better than mine: the BSE seems to already be vanishing completely from online shops. The Amazons are already at marketplace-only, ArkivMusic is clearing it out, and MDT, Presto, Europa, CD Universe, and JPC don't carry it or are permanently out of stock.

Is that a Sony or DG edition?

Opus106

Bernstein Symphony Edition*

What's your limit on SD(C)B? :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

It's still all Liszt, though.  :( 

It is sad but true.  99 CD's of Liszt music are a bit much for me ...

Scarpia

Quote from: Coopmv on February 05, 2011, 08:58:40 AM
It is sad but true.  99 CD's of Liszt music are a bit much for me ...

Exactly, what you need is another 99 recordings of the Brandenburg Concertos...

The new erato

Quote from: Scarpia on February 05, 2011, 09:05:33 AM
Exactly, what you need is another 99 recordings of the Brandenburg Concertos...
Slightly too much for me as well, even though I don't think I have more than 5-7 recordings of any given work - and that I tend towards buying recordings of music I don't know rather than another recording of music I know well. Some of Liszt's music is very impressive, but for every impressive work I've heard, I've heard at least one superficial, virtuosic potboiler, and I fear those will dominate the further one ventures into the unknown realms documented in this set.....

Scarpia

Quote from: erato on February 05, 2011, 09:12:42 AM
Some of Liszt's music is very impressive, but for every impressive work I've heard, I've heard at least one superficial, virtuosic potboiler, and I fear those will dominate the further one ventures into the unknown realms documented in this set.....

That is an assumption.  How else can one find out?  My curiosity got the better of me.