The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarlattiglenross

Thanks for the info. Just picked up the VW EMI box - best price I've seen so far.
http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

scarlattiglenross

Good price for this stunning Sokolov collection: 12.99 GBP from Amazon themselves.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grigory-Sokolov/dp/B0000CE7E6/
http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

listener

The Maazel SIBELIUS Symphonies at €10.95 - 5 discs at amazon.fr  -  double that at the US site.
[asin]B004H6P2O2[/asin]

shipping March 21
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Grazioso

Quote from: listener on March 14, 2011, 06:01:44 AM
The Maazel SIBELIUS Symphonies at €10.95 - 5 discs at amazon.fr  -  double that at the US site.
[asin]B004H6P2O2[/asin]

How does that compare to his Vienna cycle?
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Opus106

Quote from: listener on March 14, 2011, 06:01:44 AM

shipping March 21

Given the shipping price at Europe Amazons, the sale at Presto might be cheaper.

Quote from: Grazioso on March 14, 2011, 06:10:04 AM
How does that compare to his Vienna cycle?

The two were briefly compared at another thread.
Regards,
Navneeth

AnthonyAthletic

Marvellous stuff from Manze, the Corelli sonatas 2cds, Vivaldi's Prince of Poland concert, Mozart's 3/4/5 concerti & a various works disc featuring Rebel.

[asin]B002HNA94U[/asin]

Manze - The Art of the Violin 5cd set £7.49p

No nonesense in delivery/dispatch, as its from Harmonia Mundi's own page on Amazon, packed and fulfilled by HM.

Great music making all round.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 15, 2011, 01:56:06 PM
Marvellous stuff from Manze, the Corelli sonatas 2cds, Vivaldi's Prince of Poland concert, Mozart's 3/4/5 concerti & a various works disc featuring Rebel.

[asin]B002HNA94U[/asin]

Manze - The Art of the Violin 5cd set £7.49p

No nonesense in delivery/dispatch, as its from Harmonia Mundi's own page on Amazon, packed and fulfilled by HM.

Great music making all round.

The price has gone up:(

Brian

KeithW

My first post - many thanks for all the tips and pointers, some of which have led to very enjoyable purchases.

I came across a new box set, The Furtwangler Legacy - 107 CDs (much of it will be duplicated in collections already) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legacy-107CD-Wilhelm-Furtwangler-Various/dp/B004JC16LC (priced at GBP166)

I found an eBay seller in Germany who has a supply of these, delivering them post free internationally.  List price is US$150, but my offer of $130 was accepted.  eBay listing has a very detailed description of the contents.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140523402988&ss#ht_33142wt_1141

Brahmsian

Quote from: KeithW on March 15, 2011, 05:54:13 PM
My first post - many thanks for all the tips and pointers, some of which have led to very enjoyable purchases.

Welcome to GMG, Keith!  :)

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Brian on March 15, 2011, 02:38:54 PM
Click the UK link, then click Marketplace :)

Thank you Brian, I have ordered it:)

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Harry IIyich Tchaikovsky on March 16, 2011, 12:34:24 AM
Thank you Brian, I have ordered it:)

A fine set Harry, nicely packaged with a very informative booklet.  The Rebel cd is interesting (especially if its new music, as it is/was, to me).

Cheers

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Brahmsian

Wow, the Levine/MET Wagner Ring from the late 80's is a super price on Amazon Canada.  $17.99  Doesn't include the libretto.

[asin]B000GYI2U0[/asin]

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 18, 2011, 07:34:33 AM
Wow, the Levine/MET Wagner Ring from the late 80's is a super price on Amazon Canada.  $17.99  Doesn't include the libretto.

The link that could fetch GMG some cash is the following: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GYI2U0/?tag=goodmusicguideco-20  The ASIN tag, by default, works only for Amazon US, unless I'm mistaken. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

marvinbrown

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 18, 2011, 07:34:33 AM

[asin]B000GYI2U0[/asin]

That price seems to be exclusively reserved for Canadians or those able to buy from Canada. I believe that very special price has to do with promoting the Ring Cycle in Canada.  Talk about preferential treatment, DG should be ashamed of themselves for not making this price more................ universal!

(we are one world after all no??)

marvin

Holden

Quote from: stingo on February 12, 2011, 12:17:03 PM
On looking at the Liszt set, I found this for $53.99 from the same vendor:

[asin]B000T2ONOI[/asin]

I can't believe it but I bought this - fantastic price!

I clicked on the yellow purchase from Amazon tag - will this return some funds to GMG? I hope so.
Cheers

Holden

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Holden on March 18, 2011, 02:00:41 PM

I clicked on the yellow purchase from Amazon tag - will this return some funds to GMG? I hope so.

Yes it will indeed. Thank you very much. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Academy of St. Cecilia Chorus & Orchestra / Myung-Whun Chung - Bia 538 Op 117 Incidental music to "King Stephan" pt 01 - Overture: Andante con moto - Presto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Coopmv

Quote from: Opus106 on March 14, 2011, 06:35:15 AM
Given the shipping price at Europe Amazons, the sale at Presto might be cheaper.

The two were briefly compared at another thread.

This set is on my shopping list.  It is about time to get some recordings by the PSO into my collection ...

stingo

Quote from: Holden on March 18, 2011, 02:00:41 PM

That's the function of the Amazon tag, yes? Sadly, I've only got to listen to the first CD in the set (which I thought was fantastic), as I'm to listen to all of the Brahms set I got from Abeille first. (Determining if any more than the 3 discs I've uncovered skip/are defective.)

knight66

Quote from: Opus106 on March 18, 2011, 07:39:58 AM

The link that could fetch GMG some cash is the following: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GYI2U0/?tag=goodmusicguideco-20  The ASIN tag, by default, works only for Amazon US, unless I'm mistaken. :)

I have ordered it and with shipping it comes to about £19. I expect there will be import tax and it looks like the postage and tax will exceed the cost of the set, but still be cheap.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.