The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Orpheus on March 19, 2011, 09:12:33 AM

Just ordered the Lute set to go with the Manze set I bought last week.  Many thanks for the heads up, I don't know much on the Lute set, so will have much to discover.  The Manze Violin set was superb.  It cost me £8 last week and its halved this week.  Still at £8 it was a great bargain.

Now to the Canadian Wagner issue & Levine.  What a bargain this appears to be.  Its possible UK buyers may get hit with a £20 import bill but I know from experience that if the figure of the purchase is below £15 the Customs guys tend to let these through, at a £15 threshold.  Hope it works out well for all dabbling.  Seriously thinking about it myself!!

Cheers

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

nigeld

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 20, 2011, 01:56:25 PM
Just ordered the Lute set to go with the Manze set I bought last week.  Many thanks for the heads up, I don't know much on the Lute set, so will have much to discover.  The Manze Violin set was superb.  It cost me £8 last week and its halved this week.  Still at £8 it was a great bargain.

Cheers

D-ohhhh !!

missed it.  £23 now
Soli Deo Gloria

Scarpia

6 cds for $17, borderline super-bargain.  It seems like a find collection to jump-start a Schumann piano music collection.  All of the important works in recordings by highly regarded pianists (and nearly Richter free, which is a plus for me, but not for most people, I suppose).  I was close to ordering it, but decided against it after checking carefully and finding that I have every piece there in at least one recording.

[asin]B003CSS1HG[/asin]

Novi

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! :)

Found this whilst ordering my Levine Ring on amazon.ca:

I've only heard Nat's Schumann which I enjoy: very exciting, sometimes almost vertiginously so--I remember the second movement of the Fantasie dangerously threatening to fall apart. CDN$16 seems a very reasonable price to try out his Beethoven and whatever else is on here. Sound quality (from the separate Schumann set) was only adequate as I recall though.

http://www.amazon.ca/1930-1956-Comp-Recordings-Yves-Nat/dp/B000BS6Y74/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1300749113&sr=1-1
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: nigeld on March 21, 2011, 08:40:20 AM

D-ohhhh !!

missed it.  £23 now

Make sure to keep checking, because both are now back to £3.99 & £3.49 respectively.

12 noon GMT

;D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Scarpia

Quote from: Novi on March 21, 2011, 03:32:34 PM
Thanks for all the tips, everyone! :)

Found this whilst ordering my Levine Ring on amazon.ca:

Saw that too.  I have his Beethoven cycle.  He is far enough in the deep dark past that audio quality becomes an issue for me, otherwise I would have sprung for it.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 20, 2011, 01:56:25 PM

Now to the Canadian Wagner issue & Levine.  What a bargain this appears to be.  Its possible UK buyers may get hit with a £20 import bill but I know from experience that if the figure of the purchase is below £15 the Customs guys tend to let these through, at a £15 threshold.  Hope it works out well for all dabbling.  Seriously thinking about it myself!!

Cheers

Bought it for 3,99 English pounds ;D The Lute set.

Brian

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 22, 2011, 04:01:17 AM
Make sure to keep checking, because both are now back to £3.99 & £3.49 respectively.

12 noon GMT

;D

Ordered both of them. With shipping, it came to exactly £10!

Scarpia

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 20, 2011, 01:56:25 PMNow to the Canadian Wagner issue & Levine.  What a bargain this appears to be.  Its possible UK buyers may get hit with a £20 import bill but I know from experience that if the figure of the purchase is below £15 the Customs guys tend to let these through, at a £15 threshold.  Hope it works out well for all dabbling.  Seriously thinking about it myself!!

Cheers

£20 tariff to import something from Canada to England?  Isn't Canada part of the UK, at some level?  Buying from the US, I've ordered stuff much more expensive than that from France, Germany and England and never paid a penny in import duty.

Que

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 22, 2011, 05:15:41 PMIsn't Canada part of the UK, at some level?

That's a good one!  ;D ;D Maybe Canada should join the EU! :)

QuoteBuying from the US, I've ordered stuff much more expensive than that from France, Germany and England and never paid a penny in import duty.

US customs must be pretty slack - at least when duties are concerned! :o No such luck here - Dutch customs will wrinch every penny out of you, but small packages are fortunately exempted.

Q

Antoine Marchand

I don't know if this classifies as a super-duper cheap bargain (this explanation is for you Opus  ;D), but I doubt the price of this set will be some day inferior to EUR 28:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-S%E4mtliche-Klavierkonzerte/hnum/4966121

EUR 27.99

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 22, 2011, 05:15:41 PM
£20 tariff to import something from Canada to England?  Isn't Canada part of the UK, at some level?  Buying from the US, I've ordered stuff much more expensive than that from France, Germany and England and never paid a penny in import duty.

I have found out that with the UK you either get lucky or extremely unlucky with Customs Import Tax.  I have a good friend in Brazil who often sends cds over to me, if he fills his declaration in at £15 or under, they get through, unopened and cleared.  On the occation he makes an error and puts £20, £30 etc as the declared value of goods then they get opened, and passed to the Royal Mail lock up in Liverpool who then mail you a nice letter saying "we are holding this, that and the other for you, if you would like to collect them please pay £20 Customs fee to claim your items, if we do not hear from you within 20 days they will be returned to sender...we will deliver at your expense of an extra cost of £5.99 courier delivery".  £26, because my friend put the declared value of his sendings at over £15!! 

I wouldn't mind but many were from his collection and as gifts....

You can get away with Customs duty if you also tick the "Gift" box too...but of course businesses such as Amazon.wherever can't declare as gift.

Since our last debacle, we keep it under £15 even if the value is more, and always tick Gift.  That's to and from Brazil/England.

Or it could all be just random pickings, surely they don't pull everyone's buys?

:D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 23, 2011, 12:50:41 AM
I have found out that with the UK you either get lucky or extremely unlucky with Customs Import Tax.  I have a good friend in Brazil who often sends cds over to me, if he fills his declaration in at £15 or under, they get through, unopened and cleared.  On the occation he makes an error and puts £20, £30 etc as the declared value of goods then they get opened, and passed to the Royal Mail lock up in Liverpool who then mail you a nice letter saying "we are holding this, that and the other for you, if you would like to collect them please pay £20 Customs fee to claim your items, if we do not hear from you within 20 days they will be returned to sender...we will deliver at your expense of an extra cost of £5.99 courier delivery".  £26, because my friend put the declared value of his sendings at over £15!! 

I wouldn't mind but many were from his collection and as gifts....

You can get away with Customs duty if you also tick the "Gift" box too...but of course businesses such as Amazon.wherever can't declare as gift.

Since our last debacle, we keep it under £15 even if the value is more, and always tick Gift.  That's to and from Brazil/England.

Or it could all be just random pickings, surely they don't pull everyone's buys?

:D
I read somewhere that they may be changing this (n the UK) - and not for the better. But I cannot quite remember where I read it. Just a heads up...

EDIT: US seems to have totally different restrictions/rules and have a huge book for virtually any item. The customs site says: "Note: Most personal shipments worth up to $200, and gift packages worth up to $100, will pass duty-free as long as the recipient does not receive multiple packages in a single day whose cumulative value is more than these amounts."
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

scarlattiglenross

Hi folks,

As I bought most of these discs full price back in the day, this represents a super-duper cheap bargain to me in 2011:

http://www.amazon.de/Ligeti-Various-Artists/dp/B00303WQMO/ (currently €22.99 from Amazon themselves)

http://www.frozenreeds.com/
Now available: Morton Feldman - Crippled Symmetry: at June in Buffalo, performed by The Feldman Soloists (Eberhard Blum, Nils Vigeland, Jan Williams)

Opus106

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 23, 2011, 12:26:59 AM
I don't know if this classifies as a super-duper cheap bargain (this explanation is for you Opus  ;D), but I doubt the price of this set will be some day inferior to EUR 28:

You say 28, I see it as 52. :(
Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Quote from: Que on March 22, 2011, 10:44:24 PMThat's a good one!  ;D ;D Maybe Canada should join the EU! :)

All I know is the Queen of England's picture is on their money, either some association lingers or somebody at the mint has a fetish for old ladies.   :-\

Brahmsian

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 23, 2011, 06:58:33 AM
All I know is the Queen of England picture is on their money, either some association lingers or somebody at the mint has a fetish for old ladies.   :-\

Yes, Canada is still part of the Commonwealth, unfortunately.  :(  If they ever had a nation wide referendum vote on it, which Canadians have been asking for, I'm pretty sure a high majority would vote to be removed from the Commonwealth.

nigeld

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on March 22, 2011, 04:01:17 AM

12 noon GMT

;D

I could kiss you !! :D :D

£7.98 poorer, 6 new disks richer (4 already owned). 

Soli Deo Gloria

stingo

Regarding the Ligeti edition - the best (and only) price from amazon.com is $83.60 from a marketplace seller. What does shipping from amazon.de to the US cost?