The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on July 26, 2012, 07:22:55 AM
And: who is responsible for the hideous artwork?

If you dig deep enough into the "Worst CD Cover Art" thread, you will find these offerings there.  I believe the overall effect got compared to a group portrait of the Corleone family.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

And of course, dubious artwork and its gangsterly provenance is a theme of Mickey Blue Eyes
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bigshot

I bet BIS derives more than just a healthy income from X5. I bet they see a lot of money from it. There is very little cost in selling MP3s, and Amazon is selling a boatload of these sets. You can bet the major labels have their eye on this business model and will probably follow suit. Most likely at the Apple store.

Ataraxia

Doesn't Apple already have these? I'll check later...

bigshot

As the market turns away from the CD format to direct digital downloads, the major labels are going to start shifting from 50 CD megaboxes of back catalog to these virtual MP3 megaboxes. Apple has the edge on sound quality with their AAC files. I can see big labels setting up exclusives with them that aren't marketed with the broad indiscriminating brush that these X5 sets are.

The next step would be an all you can eat streaming subscription service.

Ataraxia

Quote from: bigshot on July 26, 2012, 09:59:06 AM

Like Spotify, which I subscribe to.

Brian

Or the advert-free but DG/Decca/Sony-free Naxos Music Library.

Karl Henning

So all the importance is the efficiency of the delivery channel, and quality of the content matters nothing.

Yes, I knew this was where this was going, all this time
; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bigshot

The quality of the MP3s and the quality of the performances in the sets I've sampled so far is very high.

I just checked Amazon's top 100 classical downloads and these guys are wiping the floor with the major labels.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-MP3-Downloads-Classical/zgbs/dmusic/195264011/ref=zg_bs_nav_dmusic_2_digital-music-album

I clicked down a few pages and it was one of the X5 sets after another... all aimed at different audiences... Classical Music for Readers, Chill Out Classics, Classical Music for Babies, etc. They're selling the same music in a dozen different ways and they're selling TONS of it. These guys are marketing geniuses. I bet a lot of people are being introduced to classical music for the first time by these sets.

stingo

Quote from: MN Dave on July 26, 2012, 07:33:07 AM
I can wipe my ass with two bucks or buy some music.

True - the question then is which provides the most pleasure.

Thread duty: Well I was/am pretty annoyed to see Noriko Ogawa's Debussy solo piano set in the RotM Debussy set. I got the Debussy piano works download for 7.99. All that said, it seems that at least two CDs aren't present in either, and one of those is only in the boxed set from BIS.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 25, 2012, 04:54:45 PM
Brautigam's Mozart is 'stagnant back catalog'?

Quote from: bigshot on July 25, 2012, 04:57:43 PM
In today's market *all* Mozart recordings are stagnant back catalog. We may not like it, but you have to be realistic.

And there it is: the big clue that for this member, quality of content means nothing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Oh, give it a break, Karl. So he likes "cheap" recordings. So what?

This thread has gone long enough with nary a SDCB sighting!  $:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Ataraxia

Brian

Presto's having a clearance sale on Naxos. A lot of CDs for US $5.50 and downloads for $6.

Sammy

As the market turns away from the CD format to direct digital downloads, the major labels are going to start shifting from 50 CD megaboxes of back catalog to these virtual MP3 megaboxes.

Being one of the older members here, I sure hope and expect that CDs will keep a high profile until I croak.  As for megaboxes of either  the real or virtual type, I have no interest in them.

However, the future belongs to the youngsters on the board; I trust they will end up highly satisfied with no physical products.  Maybe we'll reach a point where virtual spouses become the norm; at least they won't bitch at you (although the sex could be problematic).

stingo

What about this?

[asin]B007QZ0LMO[/asin]

11 discs for approx $25 from the Amazon US marketplace.

Ataraxia

Quote from: stingo on July 26, 2012, 11:46:38 AM
What about this?

11 discs for approx $25 from the Amazon US marketplace.

Oh, that looks interesting!

stingo