The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

That's some excellent team work, Ken - we managed to make him get both  :laugh:

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 17, 2014, 12:33:23 AM
  Will still get the lens (A sigma 60mm F2.8 for M4/3 for an amazing price!)
Cool!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 17, 2014, 12:33:23 AM
Wow, you guys really do put on the pressure :'(

I went ahead and ordered the HvK from England  $163 total. 
  Will still get the lens (A sigma 60mm F2.8 for M4/3 for an amazing price!)
      Will have to spend all weekend proofreading theses to pay for everything...

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on May 17, 2014, 12:45:08 AM
That's some excellent team work, Ken - we managed to make him get both  :laugh:

Shhhhhhhh! He's supposed to believe he's in charge.

8)

Que

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on May 17, 2014, 11:43:12 PM
Price wise , perhaps not. But it is certainly on my wish list. :)

Q

Only $19 shipped from the UK. I went ahead and ordered it on impulse ???
It's all good...

Octave

I am really psyched about that Beethoven/Hungarian set from Regis, thanks for mentioning it.  I have their stereo cycle as part of that EMI French Beethoven box that has been discussed before (with Cluytens, Heidsieck, etc) and it is killin'.  I've received a couple of opinions that the mono set is at least as good.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

hafod

Quote from: Octave on May 18, 2014, 12:19:11 AM
I am really psyched about that Beethoven/Hungarian set from Regis, thanks for mentioning it.  I have their stereo cycle as part of that EMI French Beethoven box that has been discussed before (with Cluytens, Heidsieck, etc) and it is killin'.  I've received a couple of opinions that the mono set is at least as good.

The problem with Regis is variable quality transfers. Has anybody heard or read anything about Regis' sound quality on this set?

prémont

Quote from: hafod on May 18, 2014, 09:34:46 AM
The problem with Regis is variable quality transfers. Has anybody heard or read anything about Regis' sound quality on this set?

I own the set, but haven´t listened to it yet. At the moment I am lidstening intensively to Matthias Weckmann.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Drosera

Quote from: hafod on May 18, 2014, 09:34:46 AM

It's okay, but it does sound a bit airless (even for mono) and overfiltered. But I do not have an alternative transfer to compare it with.

Que

Quote from: Drosera on May 18, 2014, 11:56:25 AM
It's okay, but it does sound a bit airless (even for mono) and overfiltered. But I do not have an alternative transfer to compare it with.

Based on line sampling of the Regis set the sound is as described in Jed Distler's description below of the EMI issue.

QuoteThe Hungarian String Quartet's 1953 Beethoven cycle stands the test of time very well, even after a half century of excellent competition and sonic advances, to say nothing of the group's own 1960s stereo remake. I've never made up my mind which of the two Hungarian Quartet Beethoven cycles I prefer, since each is quite different from the other. 1953's distant and slightly opaque ambience contrasts to the stereo version's closer, more vibrant and detailed pickup. These sonic characteristics reinforce my general impressions of 1953's smoother, more uniform ensemble blend versus the later one's more individual, contradictory approach to phrasing and vibrato and tonal astringency. As a result, first violinist Zoltan Szekely's intense vibrato makes more of a stinging impact in stereo.

For the most part 1953's tempos are faster, apparently in order to honor the composer's often optimistic metronome markings, yet they never sound pushed or stressful. Cogent examples of what I mean include Op. 59 No. 2's Presto finale, where the dotted rhythm accompaniment is tightly, perhaps rigidly articulated in stereo, but organically flows and even presses ahead in mono. The earlier Op. 18 No. 5 variation movement benefits from swifter, more unified tempos than in the relatively disjointed remake, while Op. 131's Presto boasts a sense of lightness and balance that eludes the stereo version, which, however, is superior in terms of intonation. Yet the emotional fragility and polyphonic distinction that glue your ear to Op. 132's Molto adagio in stereo prove less gripping and more matter-of-fact in mono. It all boils down to apples and oranges, although both traversals share one big scrappy lemon: the Grosse Fuge!

--Jed Distler, ClassicsToday.com

Q

Ken B

Amazon.de has the 30 disc CPE Bach set, shipped to the USA for $56

Moonfish is ineligible!  8)

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 21, 2014, 05:34:37 PM
Amazon.de has the 30 disc CPE Bach set, shipped to the USA for $56

Moonfish is ineligible!  8)

:'(
Wait - the Brilliant set?

It is ok. I already have it.  Pffftt!    >:D >:D >:D
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Hmmm... an SDCB ...   André Ernest Modeste Grétry (1741 – 1813)
André-Modeste Grétry: Portrait musical ( 5 cd set)   for $13 
($12 until 5/25 at Arkiv http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1171117)

Review at MusicWeb: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/May14/Gretry_portrait_MEW1371.htm

[asin] B00HNHM3FI[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Brian

MyronM

The Murray Perahia 40th Anniversary set is only $55.49 on Amazon...

[asin]B008NBEY3C[/asin]

Moonfish

From the Purchases today thread
Quote from: Octave on May 23, 2014, 03:34:57 PM
I'm lemminging.

[asin]B008NBEY3C[/asin]
Murray Perahia: THE FIRST 40 YEARS (Sony)

Been shillyshallying over this for many months, but even adjusting for duplications etc, it's a good deal.
The price via Amazon US direct fell to $55.50 just recently, which is a bit cheaper than I have ever seen it.
Thanks for that update Octave & Myron. That is an amazing deal for Perahia's recordings. Too bad I am not as patient as you were..     :'(

Seems like several of the Sony Classical boxes dropped over night:

Yo Yo Ma for $112
[asin] B002IC10Y8[/asin]

and the Bream box for $89
[asin] B00BCCEBRI[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

I've bought 3 of those Perahia boxes already, and have the Ma as well, or I would be all over those.  If I didn't have two boxes in transit to my door right now, I wouldn't be able resist the Bream either, even though I strongly doubt I will ever need 40 discs of guitar and lute...
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 24, 2014, 12:24:11 AM
I've bought 3 of those Perahia boxes already, and have the Ma as well, or I would be all over those.  If I didn't have two boxes in transit to my door right now, I wouldn't be able resist the Bream either, even though I strongly doubt I will ever need 40 discs of guitar and lute...
Yes, I am considering a second Perahia as a gift. Hmmm.
One you will be a lute fan....    >:D  >:D
Perhaps taking outstanding photos of lutes as well...   :D
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 24, 2014, 11:32:12 AM
Yes, I am considering a second Perahia as a gift. Hmmm.
One you will be a lute fan....    >:D  >:D
Perhaps taking outstanding photos of lutes as well...   :D

Yes, it bears thinking about as a gift. The Bream has negative appeal. The Ma box has so much dross in it the price has to come way down to tempt me.

A 50 disc lute box on real lutes would appeal very strongly, but guitar -- I have 2 discs of guitar, which is a surfeit.