The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

We could save ourselves a lot of unnecessary trouble by merging this thread with the CDCDCD thread, don't you think?  ;)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Harry

I am cured of this bug, the average amount I spend is 100 euros a month. That is in part because I have all music that interest me. And looking very carefully at certain deals. There are still a few I want to purchase like the SEON box, or the Mahler box with Zinman, or the box of Melartin symphonies, and of course the L'oiseau-Lyre box, and the Complete Bach organ works by Christopher Herrick,  and euhmmm the box with all the violin concertos by Viotti, and about 60 Albany CD'S, after I purchased all the Duttons I wanted to have, so I am cured, most definitively, wouldn't you say :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

marvinbrown

Quote from: springrite on July 19, 2014, 05:45:07 AM
We could save ourselves a lot of unnecessary trouble by merging this thread with the CDCDCD thread, don't you think?  ;)

But what of my diagnosis? I presented my case on the CDCDCD thread and was diagnosed with OOPP (Out of Print phobia) and not CDCDCD. Have I been infected? What is to become of me?

marvin

springrite

Quote from: Harry's on July 19, 2014, 05:50:52 AM
I am cured of this bug, the average amount I spend is 100 euros a month. That is in part because I have all music that interest me. And looking very carefully at certain deals. There are still a few I want to purchase like the SEON box, or the Mahler box with Zinman, or the box of Melartin symphonies, and of course the L'oiseau-Lyre box, and the Complete Bach organ works by Christopher Herrick,  and euhmmm the box with all the violin concertos by Viotti, and about 60 Albany CD'S, after I purchased all the Duttons I wanted to have, so I am cured, most definitively, wouldn't you say :laugh:

We plan to take Kimi to see your collection in 2018.

springrite

Quote from: marvinbrown on July 19, 2014, 05:53:49 AM
  But what of my diagnosis? I presented my case on the CDCDCD thread and was diagnosed with OOPP (Out of Print phobia) and not CDCDCD. Have I been infected? What is to become of me?

marvin

The American Psychological Association has decided to merge the two diagnosis. I fought against it but it was to no avail due to the fact that I do not have member status.

Harry

Quote from: springrite on July 19, 2014, 05:54:34 AM
We plan to take Kimi to see your collection in 2018.

She will be a grown up woman by then, but I have to say that I am looking forwards meeting her, and you and your wife. Both of you can visit Groningen, and Kimi and I listen to music ;)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

marvinbrown

Quote from: springrite on July 19, 2014, 05:55:37 AM
The American Psychological Association has decided to merge the two diagnosis. I fought against it but it was to no avail due to the fact that I do not have member status.

.................. and so it shall be!

marvin

Ken B

http://youtu.be/zKhEw7nD9C4

Jo498

I am cured of this bug, the average amount I spend is 100 euros a month.
Some would not consider themselves cured at this level. I guess it is all relative...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

springrite

Quote from: Jo498 on July 19, 2014, 07:41:00 AM
Some would not consider themselves cured at this level. I guess it is all relative...

Now Harry is spending in a week/month what he used to do in a day/hour, he can be considered cured... relatively speaking.

bigshot

If someone needs encouragement about the Horowitz Carnegie Hall and Album Jacket boxes, I am officially giving you the nudge. I've been listening to these lately, and at first I thought, "That's an awful lot of Horowitz and a lot of duplication of repertoire." But as I listen, I realize that he was a totally spontaneous musician. Even though there are a dozen Carmen variations spread throughout the boxes, they are all different. In the Rubinstein box there were overall shifts in tone and mood as time went on, but with Horowitz, every single performance is like starting from scratch and reinventing it on the spot. I can see how people who have ideas about a "perfect performance" might not like that, but for me as a person who wants to hear the performer as much as the composer, it's a real treat.

Jo498

Quote from: springrite on July 19, 2014, 07:51:22 AM
Now Harry is spending in a week/month what he used to do in a day/hour, he can be considered cured... relatively speaking.
Sure.
I never really worked it out (self protection), but I guess that "at the worst" I might have spent up to 200 EUR/month. Now I try to stay below or around 50 and often try not to buy anything at all for at least 2-3 weeks. If I consider how many CDs I have in my shelves, I should not buy anything at all for 2-3 years, but...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

The new erato

Same here. My purchasing activity have dropped significantly the last 3 months, and I guess it will stay that way except for the occasional big box if it contains interesting repertoire.

Jay F

Quote from: Orpheus on July 20, 2014, 01:29:52 AM
Wow Wow Wow!

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B000RZOR2U/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Merci, Orpheus. It cost as much as two CDs cost when I first started listening to classical, so je l'ai acheté.

amazon.fr also gave a 5 EUR credit.

bigshot

I really don't need another complete Cantata set, but I can't let that go by. $35 shipped to the US!

marvinbrown

Quote from: The new erato on July 20, 2014, 02:13:22 AM
Yea, wow. I remember spending about 400 Euros for this 18 years ago.

Wow indeed! I spent £100 on mine 8 years ago!

It's a wonderful set  :) and at that WOW price......... Grab it and run!

marvin