The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Odd thing is that they had four in stock before I ordered.

Moonfish also ordered it.

And it still says they have four in stock.   ???

And it has a little banner announcing it is now the number one seller in Symphonic Music.

Green Destiny

The new Bernstein/Sibelius set can be bought 3rd party for just over 13 pounds at the Amazon UK site at the moment - I ordered a copy this morning :):

[asin]B00UOFIUDK[/asin]

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 19, 2015, 04:22:05 PM
Odd thing is that they had four in stock before I ordered.

Moonfish also ordered it.

And it still says they have four in stock.   ???

And it has a little banner announcing it is now the number one seller in Symphonic Music.
Easily explained. They know Moonfish buys everything, so they adjust for his order in advance.

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 19, 2015, 01:17:57 PM
Via Discophage (remember him)
http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.fr/2015/06/symphonies-de-chostakovitch-kitaenko-12.html
With shipping to the US, I paid just under $30.  In fact, shipping accounted for about a third of the price.

Anyone know if this set is SACD jewel cases or space saving paper/hardboard sleeves?

Fab bargain, by the way.  Great heads up!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on June 20, 2015, 05:44:32 AM
Easily explained. They know Moonfish buys everything, so they adjust for his order in advance.

Not!   ;D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on June 20, 2015, 10:59:21 AM
Anyone know if this set is SACD jewel cases or space saving paper/hardboard sleeves?

Fab bargain, by the way.  Great heads up!

I bought it when a few years back when it was on Amazon US for $20. Comes in a cardboard box with individual CDs in flimsy paper (not cardboard) sleeves. It is a a good set, some very fine playing from the Cologne forces, super creamy and robust tone and beautiful to listen to. It is very similar to the Barshai set in both execution and interpretation.

AnthonyAthletic

Cheers for the info on the Kitajenko :) appreciated.

Nice little bargain from Amazon UK, the 3 cd Horowitz album set of "classic albums". 

Pop into the 25 New from £1 (link) and the first one is Amazon UK.  £1 each plus the standard £1.26 delivery. Or by this link.

Horowitz

CD : 01 - The 1985 New York Studio Recordings
CD : 02 - Horowitz in Moscow
CD : 03 - Horowitz at Home

Ordered mine late last night, out for delivery this Monday.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Ken B

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on June 20, 2015, 05:41:40 PM
Cheers for the info on the Kitajenko :) appreciated.

Nice little bargain from Amazon UK, the 3 cd Horowitz album set of "classic albums". 

Pop into the 25 New from £1 (link) and the first one is Amazon UK.  £1 each plus the standard £1.26 delivery. Or by this link.

Horowitz

CD : 01 - The 1985 New York Studio Recordings
CD : 02 - Horowitz in Moscow
CD : 03 - Horowitz at Home

Ordered mine late last night, out for delivery this Monday.
Thanks. Picked up two. Less than 10 bucks shipped total. Stocking stuffer.

Moonfish

Wiener Philharmoniker Edition for EUR 67 (!!!) plus S&H at Amazon.it

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00M8PBQT4

Content
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

king ubu

Quote from: Moonfish on June 26, 2015, 11:05:19 PM
Wiener Philharmoniker Edition for EUR 67 (!!!) plus S&H at Amazon.it

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00M8PBQT4

Content

Just wanted to report this deal as well ... amounts to 55 eurodrachmas, all together  (cheap Swiss get free shipping!) - amazing deal indeed!  ;D
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

ammar

Courtesy of our friend discophage, purchased this http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B008NIS38C/ for 35 euros from amazon.fr

I assume that it's sans libretti as per EMI's usual sterling reissue policy  >:(

king ubu

Yes indeed on the libretti. Got it a while back for a similarly enticing price on jpc.de, but haven't yet started digging into French opera in any seriousness. I need like 50 listening hours a day please ... and someone who pays me to do all tjat listening!  ;D
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

bigshot

That is the go to conductor for French opera. I already have half of it, so I am on the fence about it.

king ubu

Quote from: bigshot on June 28, 2015, 11:16:17 AM
That is the go to conductor for French opera.

That opinion being rather widely spread it seems, was why I decided to add it to the pile, fully aware it would take me some time to get around to it ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

Americans: the only good news about the Greek crisis is the euro's recent drop from $1.35 to $1.11. I expect plenty of CD buying bargains if this continues...

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on July 05, 2015, 09:10:03 AM
Americans: the only good news about the Greek crisis is the euro's recent drop from $1.35 to $1.11. I expect plenty of CD buying bargains if this continues...

I went shopping on the German and French Amazons earlier in the week and while what I bought might not exactly qualify as Super-Duper cheap I did find some great OOP discs from an obscure label that, thanks to the conversion rate, weren't prohibitively expensive anymore. Bargain enough for me.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

bluemooze

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 05, 2015, 09:39:43 PM
I went shopping on the German and French Amazons earlier in the week and while what I bought might not exactly qualify as Super-Duper cheap I did find some great OOP discs from an obscure label that, thanks to the conversion rate, weren't prohibitively expensive anymore. Bargain enough for me.

Like what? 

Moonfish

A SDCB - kind of....

50 Jahre Grosses Festspielhaus Salzburg - 25 cds - 41,00€

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003R76Q4M

CD 1 - 3 1960
Richard Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier
Della Casa / Jurinac / Güden / Edelmann / Kunz
Wiener Philharmoniker / Herbert von Karajan

CD 4 - 5 1961
Mozart: Idomeneo
Kmentt / Grümmer / Lorengar / Haefliger
Chor der Wiener Staatsoper / Wiener Philharmoniker / Ferenc Fricsay

CD 6 - 7 1992
Janacek: Aus einem Totenhaus
Ghiaurov / Szmytka / Pedersen / Langridge / Zednik / McCauley
Konzertvereinigung Wiener Staatsopernchor / Wiener Philharmoniker / Claudio Abbado
NEW TO CD

CD 8 - 9 2005
Verdi: La Traviata
Netrebko / Villazon / Hampson
Konzertvereinigung Wiener Staatsopernchor / Wiener Philharmoniker / Carlo Rizzi

CD 10 - 11 2007
Tchaikovsky: Eugene Onegin
Mattei / Samuil / Gubanova / Kaiser / Furlanetto
Konzertvereinigung Wiener Staatsopernchor / Wiener Philharmoniker / Daniel Barenboim
NEW TO CD

CONCERTS

CD 12 1966
Mozart: Symphony no. 40 in G minor K.550, Symphony no. 41 in C major K. 551 "Jupiter"
Karl Böhm/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
FIRST RELEASE

CD 13 1967
Schubert: Symphony no. 3
R. Strauss: Ein Heldenleben
Wiener Philharmoniker / Zubin Mehta
FIRST RELEASE

CD 14 - 15 1975
Mahler: Symphony no. 8
Price / Blegen / Zeumer / Schmidt / Baltsa / Riegel / Prey / van Dam
Wiener Sängerknaben / Konzertvereinigung Wiener Staatsopernchor
Wiener Philharmoniker / Leonard Bernstein

CD 16 1982
Haydn: The Seven Last Words on the Cross
Wiener Philharmoniker / Riccardo Muti
FIRST RELEASE

CD 17 1987
Wagner: Siegfried Idyll, Tannhäuser Overture, Tristan: Prelude, Liebestod
Jessye Norman/ Wiener Philharmoniker / Herbert von Karajan

CD 18 1988
Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto
Anne-Sophie Mutter / Wiener Philharmoniker / Herbert von Karajan

CD 19 - 20 1991
Beethoven: Missa solemnis
Cheryl Studer / Jesseye Norman / Placido Domingo / Kurt Moll
Leipziger Rundfunkchor / Schwedischer Rundfunkchor / Eric-Ericson-Kammerchor/ Wiener Philharmoniker / James Levine

CD 21 1992
Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique / Liszt: Les Préludes
Chicago Symphony Orchestra/ Georg Solti

CD 22 1994
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique"; The Tempest
Berliner Philharmoniker / Claudio Abbado
FIRST RELEASE

CD 23 1997

Stravinsky: Le Sacre du printemps/ Bartók: 4 Orchestral Pieces, op. 12/ Boulez: Notations
Gustav Mahler Jungendorchester / Pierre Boulez
FIRST RELEASE

RECITALS

CD 24 2007
Alfred Brendel: Haydn, Schubert Beethoven
FIRST RELEASE

CD 25 2009
Live from Salzburg: Brahms, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Schubert
Martha Argerich / Nelson Freire"
Anna Lappé

Christo

Quote from: Brian on July 05, 2015, 09:10:03 AMAmericans: the only good news about the Greek crisis is the euro's recent drop from $1.35 to $1.11. I expect plenty of CD buying bargains if this continues...

It's true, we can't even remember the days the dollar was 'expensive'. Until recently, prices at Amazon.com looked very attractive in comparison with Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de. However, because of often unexpected import taxes added in recent years, I didn't dare to order anything from the States anymore. Aren't you bothered by similar inconveniences with orders from Europe?  :-X
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948