The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I knew that would be a snare unto Marvin's feet!  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

marvinbrown

Quote from: karlhenning on December 08, 2015, 06:14:31 AM
I knew that would be a snare unto Marvin's feet!  8)

Unfortuntaely Karl I am not interested in this boxset as I really do not like the Karajan Ring (sorry Sarge, MirrorImage et al.) and I have a lot of what's in there already.  I was asking for future reference.  I recently rushed to buy the Bach Riling cantatas on sale at amazon.de for £35! I can not believe I was able to get it at that price!!. I was listening to it last night and it is so lush in comparison to Harnoncourt/Leonhardt.  I am so glad I bought it. 

I would just like to know how quickly one has to move on amazon.de??

marvin

king ubu

Quote from: marvinbrown on December 08, 2015, 06:11:34 AM
  It seems it is still there??! Do you know how long the discount applies? From what I can see the amazon.de discount seems to last until all the copies on sale are sold. Is this correct?

marvin

Either as long as it lasts (98% reserved now) or it will time out (after a few hours, don't know how many, but it says 2 minutes and some seconds left now).

Also, several offers (such as the Tchaikovsky Masterworks box) make returns, but I'd not count on it.

Another SDCDBG they had as the big Argerich box for 50 a few days ago ... but I'm not in there, not that taken by what I've heard and I've got so many piano recordings around. Similar with Karajan, not too big on him ...
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

marvinbrown

Quote from: king ubu on December 08, 2015, 06:27:53 AM
Either as long as it lasts (98% reserved now) or it will time out (after a few hours, don't know how many, but it says 2 minutes and some seconds left now).

Also, several offers (such as the Tchaikovsky Masterworks box) make returns, but I'd not count on it.

Another SDCDBG they had as the big Argerich box for 50 a few days ago ... but I'm not in there, not that taken by what I've heard and I've got so many piano recordings around. Similar with Karajan, not too big on him ...

Thank you for your response.  Just one clarification, it seems that once it "times out" the discount ends but if you refresh the page the discount reapears.  I have just discovered that once all of the copies on sale are gone the discount truly ends.  But now you are telling me that certain discounts return.  One must keep their eyes open at all times.

In the end it would be foolish to pay more for an item when it can be had at 50% off etc. and at the rate I've been buying during these past couple of years I am looking at a fair amount of money.

marvin

king ubu

Quote from: marvinbrown on December 08, 2015, 06:43:04 AM
  Thank you for your response.  Just one clarification, it seems that once it "times out" the discount ends but if you refresh the page the discount reapears.  I have just discovered that once all of the copies on sale are gone the discount truly ends.  But now you are telling me that certain discounts return.  One must keep their eyes open at all times.

In the end it would be foolish to pay more for an item when it can be had at 50% off etc. and at the rate I've been buying during these past couple of years I am looking at a fair amount of money.

marvin

Yeah, but then again, when I bought the DG cube for 50€, shortly afterwards that kinda became standard price ... and in fact, with these offers you don't get VAT deduction so it's really hard to tell if it's worth. On the other hand, I picked the Pavarotti box in such a sale for 50 and I'm not sure it ever went down that far, except if it ever made such a sale again.

Right now, you can get the Domingo Verdi box for 18:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00CYPPAH2/

And tomorrow, 10 a.m. centralyuroptime, the Heifetz box makes an appearance (I love that one! paid full price but didn't mind), and a few hours later the Boulez Sony box (that one is tempting me bigtime!), and later tomorrow the Boulez 20c DG box (I have it, but completely unplayed as of yet) as well, and then finally the Wagner "Great Recordings" box (that is cheap at ~35 anyway) makes an appearance (not tempting me)

(Wasn't aware about the "refresh" thing, btw)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

and because of late, it seems to be trendy to post silly girlie pics here, one with Pierre for y'all:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Brian

Quote from: king ubu on December 08, 2015, 10:10:43 AM
and because of late, it seems to be trendy to post silly girlie pics here, one with Pierre for y'all:

North Star

Quote from: king ubu on December 08, 2015, 10:10:43 AM
An oldie but a goldie.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

40% off Harmonia Mundi today only at europadisc.

king ubu

the Boulez offer is 78€ ... if you're outside the EU, the current price a aFR is better (74€) - still not quite good enough for me to grab it (meaning: it's still too expensive to slip through customs), as I'm not really sure I need it in the first place. I have some of the Debussy and the Webern/Berg/Carter/etc. six disc set - sure would like a few more, but getting the box would be a bit too much.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Kamisama

Quote from: The new erato on December 09, 2015, 03:07:07 AM
40% off Harmonia Mundi today only at europadisc.

I notice the Baroque Opera box is only £35 (to the UK at least).

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Kamisama on December 09, 2015, 03:40:02 AM
I notice the Baroque Opera box is only £35 (to the UK at least).
The opera DVD is worth that.  It's a shame, in a way, that it is so cheap. They really went out of their way to make a luxurious, classy box set.  I guess that's just not enough to bring back Baroque Opera :(
It's all good...

The new erato

The Anima Eterna Beetoven cycle going at half price today on europadisc. The Belcea Beethoven as well, Zelenka etc!

king ubu

Quote from: marvinbrown on December 08, 2015, 06:21:43 AM
... I recently rushed to buy the Bach Riling cantatas on sale at amazon.de for £35! I can not believe I was able to get it at that price!!. I was listening to it last night and it is so lush in comparison to Harnoncourt/Leonhardt.  I am so glad I bought it. 

This is making a re-appearance tomorrow ... though I opted for Gardiner there and am happy with his cycle (the complete box on SDG).

Edit: though looking at its current price (90+), I don't think it will be as cheap ... and not sure, it's listed as being sold by a third party seller, so not sure why aDE would bother to include it in this special sale at all.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

marvinbrown

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 02, 2015, 01:10:14 PM
That price is already gone (currently €105) :(

Sarge

Sarge, it seems that the Riling cantatas are going on sale again tomorrow at 18:15 on  Amazon.de if you are still interested.

marvin

Green Destiny

I noticed this box is a bit cheap again - 21 GBP from Amazon UK:

[asin]B001NBS5NE[/asin]

Also this Beethoven box - 35 GBP (Can be bought for 30 GBP on the MP):

[asin]B000NDEMAI[/asin]

ComposerOfAvantGarde

^That Beethoven box is epic! Bought it in Japan last week for 3485 yen from tower records (that's 19.32 GBP).

Green Destiny

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on December 18, 2015, 07:54:24 PM
^That Beethoven box is epic! Bought it in Japan last week for 3485 yen from tower records (that's 19.32 GBP).

Anything I've ever bought from Japan has been quite expensive - you were very lucky to get that box at such a good price :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 18, 2015, 08:02:24 PM
Anything I've ever bought from Japan has been quite expensive - you were very lucky to get that box at such a good price :)
I was surprised too! Japan does seem rather expensive, but some amazing bargains turn up by surrounds here and there. I think there was a sale of some sort for classical box sets because they were all much cheaper than I've seen at my local classical music CD shop!

ritter

It's always been affordably available in Europe, but at 14.95 € now from amazon Spain, Gary Bertini's superb set of Gustav Mahler's symphonies (including Das Lied von der Erde and the adagio from the Tenth), on 11 CDs, is a steal:

http://www.amazon.es/mahler-symphony-nos-1-9-adagio/dp/B000BQ7BX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1450516459&sr=1-1&keywords=mahler+bertini