Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony

Started by Don, April 21, 2007, 12:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

I have Symeonov, Muti and Petrenko. I like the first two a lot, but in reading André's review, the Sylvestri is making me want to listen. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 29, 2017, 05:29:08 PM
I have Symeonov, Muti and Petrenko. I like the first two a lot, but in reading André's review, the Sylvestri is making me want to listen. :)

8)

Here it is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/v/M4aQJGjHHos
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

André

Thanks for that, Cato:). This is much appreciated !

I made a mistake in my previous post: the Svetlanov I have is the Pathétique, not Manfred. I had planned to listen to it after the Rozhdestvensky, and almost had a heart attack at the beginning, realising my mistake  :'(.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on November 29, 2017, 06:22:31 PM
Thanks for that, Cato:). This is much appreciated !

I made a mistake in my previous post: the Svetlanov I have is the Pathétique, not Manfred. I had planned to listen to it after the Rozhdestvensky, and almost had a heart attack at the beginning, realising my mistake  :'(.

Yes indeed. Have you checked your email lately?

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cato on November 29, 2017, 06:02:21 PM
Here it is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/v/M4aQJGjHHos

Super, thanks!  I only bookmarked it for now, by the time it's done I will be sound asleep!  :)

8)

André

Daverz

Listening to the Bychkov now on Tidal.  I don't think I can avoid being seduced by the sheer gorgeousness of the playing and sonics.

Que

Quote from: Daverz on November 29, 2017, 06:31:46 PM
Listening to the Bychkov now on Tidal.  I don't think I can avoid being seduced by the sheer gorgeousness of the playing and sonics.

I can imagine, the reason I posted the recording was, besides the positive review, the Czech Philharmonic..... :)

Anyway, my current favourites are Markevitch and.... a dark horse: Chailly with the Concertgebouw Orchestra.

Q

vandermolen

I like the Svetlanov where he brings back the magnificent end of the first movement at the end of the symphony - substituting Tchaikovsky's original ending.  :o ::)
Sacrilegious I know but I really prefer it.

As to the 'original' version I like Goossens's performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 29, 2017, 10:39:55 PM
I like the Svetlanov where he brings back the magnificent end of the first movement at the end of the symphony - substituting Tchaikovsky's original ending.  :o ::)
Sacrilegious I know but I really prefer it.

I must hear that, sacreligious as it is, as I find the original ending of the work to be sorely disappointing! Aside from the ending, I think the Manfred Symphony is a great, underrated work. I find it a shame that Bernstein thought it was "garbage" and never recorded it :(
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Cato

Quote from: kyjo on November 30, 2017, 08:54:28 AM
I must hear that, sacreligious as it is, as I find the original ending of the work to be sorely disappointing! Aside from the ending, I think the Manfred Symphony is a great, underrated work. I find it a shame that Bernstein thought it was "garbage" and never recorded it :(

Toscanini was undoubtedly standing at the pearly gates and waiting for Lenny with what Grandma called a "switch," and electricity was not involved!  :o 8)

Toscanini never conducted garbage!

From earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/v/l7uFI07XjCU&t=39s
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

relm1

kyjo

Just listened to the Svetlanov ending...now, that's more like it! 8) Sorry, Pyotr!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 30, 2017, 06:17:56 PM
Just listened to the Svetlanov ending...now, that's more like it! 8) Sorry, Pyotr!
Terrific isn't it Kyle!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: kyjo on November 30, 2017, 06:17:56 PM
Hey that was good - I liked the gratuitous tam-tam strikes too. 

kyjo

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on December 01, 2017, 06:56:41 AM
Hey that was good - I liked the gratuitous tam-tam strikes too.

Here is a review of the CD on Amazon UK. I very much agree with the first reviewer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Overture-Leonore-Manfred-Beethoven/dp/B00BUL97H0