Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony

Started by Don, April 21, 2007, 12:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

I'm on the hunt for some recordings of Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony.  I currently have Svetlanov, Abravanel and Jurowski.  Have heard great things about the Muti, Chailly and Ashkenazy.

How about:

Toscanini (which one?)
Kletzki/Testament
Silvestri/BBC and Testament
Thomas/Sony
Jansons/Chandos
Masur/Elatus
Leppard/Koss
Goosens/Everest
Jordania/Angelok

Am I missing any names?

mahlertitan

I will argue with you that Bizet's "Roma" symphony is more tuneful than Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony.

Que

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: MahlerTitan on April 21, 2007, 01:04:31 PM
I will argue with you that Bizet's "Roma" symphony is more tuneful than Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony.

Yeah but Bizet doesn't pack a punch like T.

bhodges

I have Muti, Chailly and Jansons and love them all, but I'm sure there are other fine versions.  I haven't heard any of these in quite some time so I couldn't do an "A-B-C" comparison at the moment, but I do recall being quite satisfied with each.

--Bruce

Scott

Quote from: Don on April 21, 2007, 12:56:57 PM
I'm on the hunt for some recordings of Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony.  I currently have Svetlanov, Abravanel and Jurowski.  Have heard great things about the Muti, Chailly and Ashkenazy.

I particularly like the Chailly, less so Muti. Don't know Ashkenazy but my guess is that his would be good, too.
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche

SimonGodders

I have Pletnev/RNO - very powerful and very well recorded. Demonstration class methinks.
;)

SimonGodders

Just put it on now, sounds absolutely glorious!

Don

Quote from: MahlerTitan on April 21, 2007, 01:04:31 PM

I have no interest in arguing or any current interest in Bizet.

Rabin_Fan

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 21, 2007, 01:28:51 PM
I have Pletnev/RNO - very powerful and very well recorded. Demonstration class methinks.
;)

I somehow do not like Pletnev as a musician - his style is Pollini-like, chiselled and not warm - sounds like he does not warmly embrace the music that he is playing.

SimonGodders

I agree, but do like the 'chiselled' types (Pollini etc.). I would say however that I don't think this is your typical Pletnev, with shades more romance and warmth than other recordings.

hautbois

I own Muti/Philharmonia and has no other recording to compare. I think it is great although Muti seemed to always blur a lot of things up, at least from my experience of him on record. (E.g. I think he has one of the worst Resphigis ever with the Philadelphia.)

val

My preferred version is the one of Muti with the Philharmonia, with a perfect articulation, splendid dynamic and avoiding too much "pathos".

I would prefer Kletzki if he didn't cut parts of the work.

Rabin_Fan

Howard Ng,

Where did you manage to get Muti's Manfred? It is OOP, unless it is from the Brilliant Classics box. Regards - RF

hautbois

2nd hand, from a KL based violinist who used to play in the CBSO.

Regards,
Howard

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Scott on April 21, 2007, 01:23:51 PM
I particularly like the Chailly, less so Muti. Don't know Ashkenazy but my guess is that his would be good, too.

I am not in love with Chailly. Too much (especially during the middle of the first movement) it sounds like he is on auto-pilot. Does pack a punch in the finale though.

MishaK

Quote from: Don on April 21, 2007, 12:56:57 PM
Leppard/Koss

Is this with Indy SO? They made a number of excellent recordings (RVW Antartica, Schubert 3 & Grand Duo, Schumann etc.). Vastly underrated orchestra and conductor. Has anyone heard this Manfred?

Rabin_Fan

Quote from: hautbois on April 26, 2007, 09:07:39 AM
Regards,
Howard

Very lucky - I should have grabbed it in a shop here but alas, did not do so. Is the violinist Malaysian - Ying Yuen, by any chance?
Lee

val

Quotehautbois

The version I have of Muti with the Philharmonia is an EMI Classics edition from 1993 (the recording was made in 1982).

hautbois

Quote from: Rabin_Fan on April 26, 2007, 11:13:34 PM
Very lucky - I should have grabbed it in a shop here but alas, did not do so. Is the violinist Malaysian - Ying Yuen, by any chance?
Lee

Yes it is YY. He teaches at Sedaya College and i got it from him when i studied there. I will be leaving to the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory in August.  :)

Howard