My Avatar

Started by Anne, November 17, 2007, 06:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne

I have been given permission to use this avatar as long as I provide a link to the web site.  Here it is

http://www.opusarte.com/pages/product.asp?ProductID=218

Harry

Quote from: Anne on November 17, 2007, 06:24:21 AM
I have been given permission to use this avatar as long as I provide a link to the web site.  Here it is

http://www.opusarte.com/pages/product.asp?ProductID=218

Anne, what a beautiful ballerina, in a wonderful pose, you have my votes for this, I am so fond of ballet..... :)

Darcey Bussell, one of my favourites.....

Anne

Quote from: Harry on November 17, 2007, 07:26:44 AM
Anne, what a beautiful ballerina, in a wonderful pose, you have my votes for this, I am so fond of ballet..... :)

Darcey Bussell, one of my favourites.....

Thanks, Harry.  I had looked for a long time for a picture but nothing seemed to fill the bill until I saw this one.  I love it.

springrite

Very nice indeed. I am just wondering how that is "opera and vocal"...

Anne

Quote from: springrite on November 17, 2007, 07:53:29 AM

I know what you're saying.  There has been discussion about ballet here.  Last I heard ballet was supposed to stay here.  If it is on the wrong BB, I have no objection to changing it to the Discussion BB.

Harry

Quote from: springrite on November 17, 2007, 07:53:29 AM

Very good Paul, that made me grin from here to Tokyio.... ;D

Harry

Quote from: Anne on November 17, 2007, 07:58:53 AM
I know what you're saying.  There has been discussion about ballet here.  Last I heard ballet was supposed to stay here.  If it is on the wrong BB, I have no objection to changing it to the Discussion BB.

Yes Lis has very strict guidelines, still........ :-\
For this I get a sermon from her, just watch...
Finger is raised....

Mark

I can explain the whole 'ballet goes in Opera & Vocal' thing. Basically, ballet used to be part of this board's title, owing to the fact that music for ballets is performed as an accompaniment to staged action (much like opera, obviously). Personally, I don't buy this ... but it's not my rule.

Gurn Blanston

I cannot for the life of me understand why there is such continuing hostility to such a simple thing. Ballet is in this board because it is a staged production, like opera. Vocal music is in this board because it contains voice, like opera. The fact that topics stay around longer here since there is less traffic should viewed as a bonus rather than an onus.

As for the avatar, it is lovely. I hope it will engender some discussion on the lovely Ms. Bussell and merit a place in the Ballet/Opera/Vocal music board. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: New York PO / Sinopoli - Resphigi Roman Festivals pt 3
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

BachQ

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 17, 2007, 04:04:01 PM
bonus rather than an onus.

Trademark owned by Gurn Blanston .........

Licensing information availble at gurnblanston.com

Mark

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 17, 2007, 04:04:01 PM
I cannot for the life of me understand why there is such continuing hostility to such a simple thing. Ballet is in this board because it is a staged production, like opera. Vocal music is in this board because it contains voice, like opera. The fact that topics stay around longer here since there is less traffic should viewed as a bonus rather than an onus.

Then how about calling this board, 'Opera, Vocal & Stage'? Or 'Opera, Vocal & Ballet'? Might help, seeing as some people are clearly confused by the current situation.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mark on November 17, 2007, 04:08:30 PM
Then how about calling this board, 'Opera, Vocal & Stage'? Or 'Opera, Vocal & Ballet'? Might help, seeing as some people are clearly confused by the current situation.

Perhaps Rob will take your suggestion under advisement. I would do it, if only to stifle the dissent. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing: New York PO / Temirkanov - Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade Op 35 pt 1 - The Sea & Sinbad's Ship
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Harry

A friendly dissent, there is not one malicious feeling in it Gurn. :)

Mark

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 17, 2007, 04:12:48 PM
Perhaps Rob will take your suggestion under advisement. I would do it, if only to stifle the dissent. :D

You're a good man, Gurn. :)

Just to make it plain, I do understand the rationale for ballet being included in this section of the forum. I guess I just think that when the music is divorced from the action, it no longer counts as 'staged performance'. So, a DVD of a ballet would certainly belong here; the audio-only CD wouldn't (in my weird world view). But I accept that this is just my foible. Opera and vocal, OTOH, makes perfect sense to me. These two forms strike me as happy bedfellows, not because of how or where they're performed, but simply because they share in common that most beautiful of all instruments, the human voice. :D

uffeviking

I am afraid this subject will never rest in peace until Rob steps in.  $:)

I want to remind new members, those who became newcomers a looooong time ago, that ballet has been part of this section. If one member is peeved because I dared to move his post, is no reason to harp on it constantly. Let it rest, yes?

Thank you!  :-*

Wendell_E

Quote from: uffeviking on November 18, 2007, 03:38:33 AM
I am afraid this subject will never rest in peace until Rob steps in.  $:)

And probably not even then.   ;D

But really, "because that's the way it's always been done" isn't really much of a reason in any situation.  But it's really a minor point, and as with a beloved one's shortcomings, I'm sure we'll all learn to tolerate, and even find a certain charm in, this little quirk.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

uffeviking

Maybe it will help if I explain the reason for what caused the discussion in the first place. A member started a new thread 'Ballet', I moved it to the already existing subject in the Opera and Vocal section. It's all about being organised!

Assume a newcomer, lover of ballet, gets to the first thread, the new one, he/she misses all the info in the Opera and Vocal room. Then there might even be another new ballet fan, reading neither of the two existing subjects and starts his/her own and it goes on and on, and nobody is benefitting. Imagine the mess if new threads are being started just about one composer by new members, or even established members who don't take the time to scroll back and check if somebody had already written about Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf. Confusion!

That is my reason for combining new threads on the same subject with established ones. Makes sense? I think so.  0:)