Louise Farrenc

Started by Ten thumbs, November 17, 2007, 09:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten thumbs

My thanks to harry for his excellent review of Louise's 2nd Symphony. I now have her three symphonies together with chamber works courtesy of Ambache. Here is a composer who really knew how to use intruments and these works ought to be better known. I won't say I can whistle the tunes after a single hearing but I can't do that for Brahms. What is important is whether or not the music becomes recognisable to me and I believe it will.
There is an excellent article on Louise Ferranc in Wikipedia and I do find it reprehensible that an established composer, who was also a virtuoso pianist, professor of piano at the Paris Conservatoire for thirty years and also compiler of an important anthology of early music receives not a mention in my music encyclopaedia. Is this an abject failure in scholarship or gross prejudice?
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Harry

Quote from: Ten thumbs on November 17, 2007, 09:18:25 AM
My thanks to harry for his excellent review of Louise's 2nd Symphony. I now have her three symphonies together with chamber works courtesy of Ambache. Here is a composer who really knew how to use intruments and these works ought to be better known. I won't say I can whistle the tunes after a single hearing but I can't do that for Brahms. What is important is whether or not the music becomes recognisable to me and I believe it will.
There is an excellent article on Louise Ferranc in Wikipedia and I do find it reprehensible that an established composer, who was also a virtuoso pianist, professor of piano at the Paris Conservatoire for thirty years and also compiler of an important anthology of early music receives not a mention in my music encyclopaedia. Is this an abject failure in scholarship or gross prejudice?

And she was a beautiful woman, a woman in that time......composing writing, getting babies, being a professor. That was not a normal thing for a woman in that time. And indeed she wrote magnificent music to boot. By now I have all what is recorded....

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ten thumbs on November 17, 2007, 09:18:25 AM
....Is this an abject failure in scholarship or gross prejudice?

Gross prejudice. Ferrenc is no mystery to any music scholar, but giving her her just due as a fine musician is more than can be handled, apparently. Then or now. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:  New York Philomusica - K 251 Divertimento #11 in D 2nd mvmt - Allegro molto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

JoshLilly

I bought two cpo CDs several years ago with her three symphonies and two concert overtures, and have recently come back to them. I always really liked them, but now that I've been getting more into Romantic-era music, this time I'm absolutely blown away... specifically by the Symphony #1 in C minor. Now that I've been listening to this work again - repeatedly! - it strikes me as a truly great symphony. Taken as a set, her complete orchestral works are just staggering to me; maybe I'm alone in this, but I honestly can't get enough of all of these works lately. Especially the first movements of all three are just incredible! The scherzo of the Symphony #3 also seems like a Raff-like work of genius. 

Maybe they're cherry picking what "they" consider Farrenc's best works, but I got some of her chamber music and there are a Piano Sextet and Piano Trio that are just magnificent. I understand that the Piano Sextet is often considered her finest work.  Unfortunately, there really isn't much more to record, as she didn't write all that much. What I wouldn't give for a Symphony #4!

As far as I'm concerned, based on the few works I have, Farrenc has one of the highest batting averages of all composers.

By the way, note the spelling of her name: Farrenc.

Harry

Quote from: JoshLilly on November 17, 2007, 12:34:40 PM
I bought two cpo CDs several years ago with her three symphonies and two concert overtures, and have recently come back to them. I always really liked them, but now that I've been getting more into Romantic-era music, this time I'm absolutely blown away... specifically by the Symphony #1 in C minor. Now that I've been listening to this work again - repeatedly! - it strikes me as a truly great symphony. Taken as a set, her complete orchestral works are just staggering to me; maybe I'm alone in this, but I honestly can't get enough of all of these works lately. Especially the first movements of all three are just incredible! The scherzo of the Symphony #3 also seems like a Raff-like work of genius. 

Maybe they're cherry picking what "they" consider Farrenc's best works, but I got some of her chamber music and there are a Piano Sextet and Piano Trio that are just magnificent. I understand that the Piano Sextet is often considered her finest work.  Unfortunately, there really isn't much more to record, as she didn't write all that much. What I wouldn't give for a Symphony #4!

As far as I'm concerned, based on the few works I have, Farrenc has one of the highest batting averages of all composers.

By the way, note the spelling of her name: Farrenc.

Well I wrote quite enthusiastic reviews when I listen to them a month or so ago..
And you are right, you keep playing them over and over again....

Daverz

I have a CD of her chamber music on Harmonia Mundi.  It's nice.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on November 17, 2007, 06:15:25 PM
I have a CD of her chamber music on Harmonia Mundi.  It's nice.

The only ones I've seen (and gotten) were on CPO. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the tip, Dave. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Stamitz Clarinet Concerti - Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia - Carl Stamitz  Concerto in Bb for 2 Clarinets 2nd mvmt - Andante moderato

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Daverz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 17, 2007, 06:23:07 PM
The only ones I've seen (and gotten) were on CPO. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the tip, Dave. :)

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Louise-Farrenc-Musique-Gilbert-Audin/dp/B000A2ACI8

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on November 17, 2007, 06:28:47 PM
Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Louise-Farrenc-Musique-Gilbert-Audin/dp/B000A2ACI8

Thanks. Put it in the cart. :)

8)

----------------
BIBER : Violin Sonatas - Andrew Manze (Disc 1) - Nigel North - Passacaglia for solo lute

Wanderer

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 17, 2007, 06:33:38 PM
Thanks. Put it in the cart. :)

That's a very good recording, although I admit I haven't listened to it in quite a while.

Brian

I'm glad we have a Farrenc thread! I own the CPO disc featuring her first and third symphonies, and although the third didn't make much of an impression the First Symphony is an absolute masterwork. It's impossible not to be drawn in by the uneasy introduction, quietly questioning, trying to find resolution, and suddenly interrupted by a massive fortissimo drum roll! The main melodies are terrific and all in all the symphony is tremendous.

Hector Berlioz said, "she is a good orchestrator, for a woman." I would amend that comment to this: "she is a good orchestrator, for a 19th-century symphonist who wasn't Hector Berlioz."  ;D

Grazioso

For those interested in Farrenc, try Alice Mary Smith (1839-1884), the first British woman symphonist (at least of note)

This isn't merely a historical curiosity, but really good music.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

rubio

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: rubio on November 18, 2007, 04:38:24 AM
Anybody heard this "Musique de chambre" on Valois?

That's the one that Daverz, Wanderer and I were talking about above. Daverz says Harmonia Mundi, but it is Valois, although maybe this is a reissue? Anyway, they recommend it and I'm planning on finding out... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Beetho 9 Lucerna - Wilhelm Furtwängler - - Andante maestoso - Allegro energico - Prestissimo

Daverz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 18, 2007, 05:04:09 AM
That's the one that Daverz, Wanderer and I were talking about above. Daverz says Harmonia Mundi, but it is Valois,

Well, it's French at least...  :-\

Ten thumbs

Sorry about the spelling! It was thumb trouble.
The piano trio coupling with Berwald looks interesting. There are also at least two recordings of the piano quintets. Any recommendations?

SonicMan46

Well, I'd like to revive this thread on Louise Farrenc (1804-1875), who I've just discovered - must have missed this thread on its first appearance, but a month or so back, I acquired the Piano Quintets, Op. 30 & 31 - just marvelous on the CPO label; so decided to obtain some more of her orchestral compositions, i.e. the Symphonies, Nos. 1-3 & Overtures, also on CPO w/ the ever productive Goritzki!  Listening to these CDs while typing - symphonies composed in the 1840s!

Amazing gal - brilliant pianist, excellent teacher (only female professor in the 19th century @ the Paris Conservatoire), and composer of about 50 works w/ Opus numbers - sad personal life w/ an only daughter dying to TB in her early 30s (an outstanding pianist & budding composer) - short but good Wiki Article HERE - the CPO liner notes are extensive & excellent!

I'd like to acquire some more chamber works & also some solo piano compositions - so bring on the recommendations, please!  :D

Heather Harrison

I discovered Louise Farrenc over a year ago when I heard one of the piano quintets at a concert.  Since then, I have bought the CDs of the symphonies and I intend to buy more.  I find her music to be better than much I have heard from "forgotten" composers from around the same time.  It is a shame that she was forgotten for so long.  Hopefully she will be "discovered" now and more of her music will end up on concert programs.

Heather

Ten thumbs

I have the Sextet (Piano and wind) Op40, the Nonet (Strings and wind) Op38 and the Trio (Piano, flute and cello) Op45 on the Ambache label. These are lively performances but I cannot give a comparison.
I'm pleased to see the Nonet in a programme to be given shortly by the Esbjerg Ensemble (Skipton, 21st October) but sadly I shall be traveling in Australia at the time.

Grazioso

That piano quintets disc is indeed a good one! A composer of related interest worth hearing is the Victorian Alice Mary Smith:

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle